Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need supplement rec's for my leaky gut / leptin reset page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

Need supplement rec's for my leaky gut / leptin reset

I think I've got the list of supplements I want to use while working on my leaky gut. I know it will take hours and hours to search this forum for all your recommendations, and I'll do what I need to of that, but I thought I'd start the easy way.

Mainly I'm looking for your favorite brand, combination of quality (most important) & cost. The fewer fillers, the better - no gluten, corn, or dairy at all. I definitely prefer real food supplements (like dried acerola over synthetic vitamin C) and "natural" over synthetic where available.

If you have additional notes, like what time of day it should be taken, with or without food, with or without certain other supplements (like I know iron should be with vitamin C), special things to look out for, starting dosages for various issues, progression of dosage, etc., that would be very appreciated.

(My main issue is a really leaky gut. I do not like supplements. I like getting my nutrition from food. But I recognize that until someone decides to embark on a massive soil-replenishing project, even the best organic foods will be deplete in Mg & Se, and until I get outside for many hours a day, my D will be low. Likewise, until I find a way to get quality, safe fish on a regular basis, I will need to continue my fermented cod liver oil. Those are the only supplements I take regularly, and I guess along the lines of whole, real food supp's, I use raw apple cider vinegar, cups of bone broth, organ meats, & celtic sea salt daily, as well. The reason I'm expanding on this is a temporary project to
    - complete my leptin sensitivity project, which is going very well
    - complement my circadian efforts to raise overall cortisol naturally (my levels are mediocre at best, and bottom of the barrel at noon), in conjunction with the increase that will come once my leptin is in line
    - naturally raise my thyroid function (rT3/fT3 ratio is a dismal 7 (should be >20), fT3 is way below mid-range), in conjunction with the increase that will come once my cortisol and gut are in line
    - seal my leaky gut! I've been trying it on my own for a few years, but really need to accelerate this, as recent tests show severe fat malabsorption, elevated antigliadin sIgA, and positive ANA

I dislike drugs.)

Needed:

1. saccharomyces boulardii (I've used nutrivene and saw no effect)
    2. Prescription grade probiotic (I've used BioKult and saw no effect)
    3. N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)
    4. Zinc
    5. milk thistle
    6. feverfew
    7. thyroid (I'm looking at Dr. Ron's dessicated thyroid + liver, and ThyroGold's dessicated thyroid. Both are just an animal's organ, dried & powdered, just like the beef heart jerky I make - just meat)
    8. sea vegetables (I'm using SeaGreens and thinking about buying some nori sheets) - my concern is iodine and trace minerals
    9. Magnesium (I'm using Natural Calm and not sure if I see effects. I'll try Magnesium glycinate next. Recs for brands and amounts?)
    10. Selenium (actually, will probably just use brazil nuts going forward after my bottle of caps runs out)
    11. Melatonin (I sleep pretty well at night most of the time, but ALWAYS wake exhausted, no matter how much I sleep, even day after day of 9 or 9.5hrs. Don't know if this will help.)
    12. DHEA - mine is low, all my sex hormones are bottom of the range, and I don't have any issues with high testosterone, so should I do DHEA or 7-keto-DHEA? Sources?
    13. Pregnenolone - again, the mother hormone of all the sex hormones in which I am woefully deficient. Temporary measure to give me some life (chronic fatigue is one of my major complaints) while working on raising levels naturally.

Also, anyone know if natural vitamin C, like powdered acerola or camu-camu, require as much as powdered buffered ascorbic acid? It takes a ton of acerola to get 1000mg of C, the amount in just 1/4tsp of AA powder, but I suspect perhaps it's more efficient and doesn't really require as much, mg-wise?

I intend to undertake the supplementation under a doctor's care, but want to do my homework to find the best sources in advance.

Thanks!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    I order the majority from amazon.com (nows a good time to spring for prime membership)

Nordic Naturals - ultimate omega...I pop 4-6 pills over the course a of day

Source Naturals Brand is pretty much every allergen free (I use that and NOW brands a lot)
    I use their optizinc (1 pill), selenium (1 pill), Tumeic 1000

Cortisol Help - Shinjin and Chris Kesser reccomend this adapotgen blend:
    Apex Energetics Adaptocrine K-2 90 Capsules
    I take 2 pills 3 times a day (morning, noon and before bed)

Life Extension makes the brand of NAC I am starting to use - its also allergen free. I havent started it yet (kinda want to wait on testing), but its the precursor to glutathione. Chris Kesser is also sending me a "glutatione recycler" Not sure if I will use that in additon to the NAC or in place of (probably will use both)
    Apex Energetics GLUTATHIONE RECYCLER K-57 90 caps

Natren Trinity Probiotics - Chris Kesser seemed ok with me taking it - they are refridgerated and you can purchase at the health store (whole foods). I take 1-2 caps daily. Colleen mentioned you want to make sure it has at least 50 billion bacteria and is refridgerated

Milk Thistle -I take up to 6 pills daily of jarrows brand
    http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formula...8032026&sr=8-1

Pregnelone - I havent' started tihs yet but Janz reccommends Life Extension

Melatonin - havent started this one yet either but Colleen recommends Metarest

You might consider whey shakes even though they aren't whole foods. I am looking into Marks' primal fuel (recommended by Dr Kruse). May start using this around lunchtime as I'm normally not hungry then and it shouldne be hard to get down. Whey apparently also breaks down into glutathione. Not sure how often I would need it (a few times a week? every day?)

I take a a ton of other supplements but they aren't really targeted for a leaky gut: k2, lactoferrin, cinnamon, MSM (1 tsp 2x a day), Natural Calm Magensium before bed

I also drink Kevita probiotics a few times a week, and bone broths and fermented veggies every day
    Last edited by nuttmegs17; 01-31-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    MamaGrok

I'm a fan of jarrow, now foods, lef, and jigsaw brands

I use the following:
    jarrow optimal EPA/DHA O3
    jarrow phosphatidylserine (100mg)

Now foods
    Prenatal caps
    Bcomplex
    maca (500mg - in the past I've taken upto 2000mg)
    5htp
    chaste berry
    VitD3 (5000IU)

Jigsaw
    high potency VitC
    magnesium (I've had great success w/this!)

LEF
    7Keto Dhea
    PQQ

Ubiniquol CoQ19 from Costco (not the kirkland brand)

Nordic naturals CLO (I can't justify the $$ for the green pastures FCLO)

for cortisol: I've used the jarrow phosphatidylserine (100mg), maca (500mg - in the past I've taken upto 2000mg), 500mg Rodohila (Now foods), 200mg of l-theanine (Jarrow), apex energetics adaptocrine

I'm looking at adding Selenium, Pregnenlone, MSM and iodine
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    You might consider whey shakes even though they aren't whole foods. I am looking into Marks' primal fuel (recommended by Dr Kruse). May start using this around lunchtime as I'm normally not hungry then and it shouldne be hard to get down. Whey apparently also breaks down into glutathione. Not sure how often I would need it (a few times a week? every day?)
    I use Natural Factors Whey Factors plain, which is a really good one with no additives. I buy it on Amazon which is MUCH cheaper than in the stores. I have a smoothie most days, which may be too much for some.

Patty Cakes is offline Senior Member
    Here are the ones I use from your list:

Zinc - New Chapter (a whole food vitamin/mineral company)
    Probiotic - Natren Trinity (just starting this one)
    Milk Thistle - Eclectic Institute Eclectic Institute Freeze-Dried Milk Thistle -- 120 Vegetarian Capsules - Vitacost
    Magnesium - Ancient Minerals Magnesium Flakes made into Magnesium Oil (it's supposed to be a more bio-available form of magnesium). Not sure but it's easy to apply and less pills to go through my system.

I guess you already know my thoughts on thyroid meds

I also take:

Nordic Naturals COL
    PQQ ( can't remember brand right off my head)
    Dr. Wilson's Adrenal Rebuilder
    New Chapter Selenium
    Biotics Research Bio-D-Mulsion Forte
    Enzymedica Estro-balance (DIM)
    Jarrow Ubiquinol QH-Absorb (CoQ10)
    Douglas Laboratories Stress Plex Forte (B Complex)

Thanks so much for everything so far!

I have a dairy issue these days, yippee yippee, so no whey. I have lots and lots of it, though, strained off various dairy ferments I've made. WIsh I could use it; I love the yogurt whey! It's a refreshing mid-afternoon thirst-quencher.

I'm taking copious notes!

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Thanks so much for everything so far!

I have a dairy issue these days, yippee yippee, so no whey. I have lots and lots of it, though, strained off various dairy ferments I've made. WIsh I could use it; I love the yogurt whey! It's a refreshing mid-afternoon thirst-quencher.

I'm taking copious notes!
    Duh - how could I forget that? I am lactose intolerant and also on an autoimmune protocol for hashis (no dairy etc)...whats a gal with autoimmune issues and leaky gut to do if she wants glutathione? I might have to ask Dr. Kruse....I suppose just stick to NAC or get my hands on intravenus Glutathione for cheap

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    Duh - how could I forget that? I am lactose intolerant and also on an autoimmune protocol for hashis (no dairy etc)...whats a gal with autoimmune issues and leaky gut to do if she wants glutathione? I might have to ask Dr. Kruse....I suppose just stick to NAC or get my hands on intravenus Glutathione for cheap
    I'm not familiar with the AI protocol but if you aren't super sensitive and it's mainly the lactose and casein that's a problem, whey protein isolate has very little lactose. Check the label as some have more than others. The stuff I use doesn't bother me, although I'm not that sensitive.

More notes from other threads:

Smoked oysters from amazon. (zinc)

I get my cacao and nibs from nutsonline.com.

delivered every 6mths...Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chocolate Nibs Mayan Superfood, 10 Pound Bag: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

milk thistle: I'm taking the Jarrow forumula Standardized Silymarin Extract 30:1
    I take 450 mg twice per day... I am waiting to see what it does for the rT3 number and may up mine as well.

You can view the supplement info on the label at this link:
    Milk Thistle 150 mg 200 Capsules by Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle 150 mg 200 Capsules by Jarrow Formulas

Chrish2891 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Charles Poliquin uses a glutamine load for his clients with leaky gut syndrome. My parents did this a few months ago and feel much better. I guess its worth a shot.
    Here is the link to the glutamine load
    And I get my glutamine from truenutrition.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast