Need supplement rec's for my leaky gut / leptin reset
I think I've got the list of supplements I want to use while working on my leaky gut. I know it will take hours and hours to search this forum for all your recommendations, and I'll do what I need to of that, but I thought I'd start the easy way.
Mainly I'm looking for your favorite brand, combination of quality (most important) & cost. The fewer fillers, the better - no gluten, corn, or dairy at all. I definitely prefer real food supplements (like dried acerola over synthetic vitamin C) and "natural" over synthetic where available.
If you have additional notes, like what time of day it should be taken, with or without food, with or without certain other supplements (like I know iron should be with vitamin C), special things to look out for, starting dosages for various issues, progression of dosage, etc., that would be very appreciated.
(My main issue is a really leaky gut. I do not like supplements. I like getting my nutrition from food. But I recognize that until someone decides to embark on a massive soil-replenishing project, even the best organic foods will be deplete in Mg & Se, and until I get outside for many hours a day, my D will be low. Likewise, until I find a way to get quality, safe fish on a regular basis, I will need to continue my fermented cod liver oil. Those are the only supplements I take regularly, and I guess along the lines of whole, real food supp's, I use raw apple cider vinegar, cups of bone broth, organ meats, & celtic sea salt daily, as well. The reason I'm expanding on this is a temporary project to
- complete my leptin sensitivity project, which is going very well
- complement my circadian efforts to raise overall cortisol naturally (my levels are mediocre at best, and bottom of the barrel at noon), in conjunction with the increase that will come once my leptin is in line
- naturally raise my thyroid function (rT3/fT3 ratio is a dismal 7 (should be >20), fT3 is way below mid-range), in conjunction with the increase that will come once my cortisol and gut are in line
- seal my leaky gut! I've been trying it on my own for a few years, but really need to accelerate this, as recent tests show severe fat malabsorption, elevated antigliadin sIgA, and positive ANA
I dislike drugs.)
1. saccharomyces boulardii (I've used nutrivene and saw no effect)
2. Prescription grade probiotic (I've used BioKult and saw no effect)
3. N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)
5. milk thistle
7. thyroid (I'm looking at Dr. Ron's dessicated thyroid + liver, and ThyroGold's dessicated thyroid. Both are just an animal's organ, dried & powdered, just like the beef heart jerky I make - just meat)
8. sea vegetables (I'm using SeaGreens and thinking about buying some nori sheets) - my concern is iodine and trace minerals
9. Magnesium (I'm using Natural Calm and not sure if I see effects. I'll try Magnesium glycinate next. Recs for brands and amounts?)
10. Selenium (actually, will probably just use brazil nuts going forward after my bottle of caps runs out)
11. Melatonin (I sleep pretty well at night most of the time, but ALWAYS wake exhausted, no matter how much I sleep, even day after day of 9 or 9.5hrs. Don't know if this will help.)
12. DHEA - mine is low, all my sex hormones are bottom of the range, and I don't have any issues with high testosterone, so should I do DHEA or 7-keto-DHEA? Sources?
13. Pregnenolone - again, the mother hormone of all the sex hormones in which I am woefully deficient. Temporary measure to give me some life (chronic fatigue is one of my major complaints) while working on raising levels naturally.
Also, anyone know if natural vitamin C, like powdered acerola or camu-camu, require as much as powdered buffered ascorbic acid? It takes a ton of acerola to get 1000mg of C, the amount in just 1/4tsp of AA powder, but I suspect perhaps it's more efficient and doesn't really require as much, mg-wise?
I intend to undertake the supplementation under a doctor's care, but want to do my homework to find the best sources in advance.
5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***