Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast - Paleo hunger vs grain hunger page

ATN
    ATN is offline Junior Member

Breakfast - Paleo hunger vs grain hunger

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forum!

My girlfriend and I started eating paleo 2 weeks ago. I was introduced to the diet by a friend who does a lot of crossfit/triathlon. I used to eat ample amounts of grains and not much veggies or fruits.

So far so good for me. For my gf, I could say it's a rough start. She mainly has trouble with breakfast. She used to eat oatmeal, yogurt, and almond butter (all mixed together). After this meal she didn't feel hungry. After the switch, she started eating walnuts, yogurt, blueberry, and some kind of fruit. The problem is that she feels pretty hungry 2 or 3 hours after that. She based her meal size according to the amount of calories she used to eat. I told her to base her meal size according to her hunger level but refuses to do so as she's under the impression that's it's too much and she'll gain weight.

I'd like to know if you got any suggestions that would help her hunger issue.

Thanks in advance
    Atn

lolawolf is offline Member
    I've heard from a lot of people to eat a lot of protein in the morning because it will help keep you full for longer. Also, from my understanding, primal is based on fat&protein - meat. She needs meat. I have a 20% beef hamburger and a couple servings of green beans for breakfast - delicious and satisfying for me =)
    Heaviest - 4/28/11 - 190
    - 1/12 - 171.4
    - 07/12 - 160&got pregnant!
    - 11/12 - 150ish
    Losing fat but gaining baby? WOO!
    Goal - healthy, happy baby and happy mama!

Croak is offline Senior Member
    She's simply blood sugar crashing after two hours, since her new breakfast is mostly still sugar. She needs a lot more protein, and a LOT more fat. Willing to bet she's not eating "full fat" yogurt either. She's not much worse off now than if she just had half a cup of sugar for breakfast...seriously.

She's actually getting less fat and protein now than before, since she's removed the almond butter, which was the real reason for her previous satiety.
    Last edited by Croak; 01-31-2012 at 09:11 AM.

PrimalBaker is offline Member
    That's lots of sugar in the morning. Sugar from fruit and yogurt (which usually has lots of sugar). She needs to add protein. Eggs, bacon. And omelette with leftover chicken or turkey or steak from the night before. My typical breakfast is 2 eggs over easy, 3-4 slices bacon, spinach sauteed in butter and feta. On the mornings I am at a school (I am a sub) I add an egg because I never know when lunch will be. And often when I have 3 eggs I don't even feel a need for lunch.

For us girls, it's hard to give up the calorie thing. It's preached to us in magazines and TV shows. It will take a bit to give it up and go with hunger levels. Once I embraced the food and gave up counting calories I felt amazing! I actually take in more calories now and have lost weight and gained energy and muscle. Let her know it's okay, but don't nag her.
    Last edited by PrimalBaker; 01-31-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling nerd
    I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
    Started Primal living February 14, 2011

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Your GF should be eating eggs, leftover cold meats, butter, coconut oil, piles of veg. Think big-ass veggie omelettes with a quarter avocado, or bacon and eggs cooked in butter with a veggie side dish leftover from last night. Even BulletProof Coffee if she's rushed in the mornings.
    Eating that much fruit so early in the day is what's likely causing her hunger, as it's causing an insulin spike and crash later. Yogurt is also an insulin spiker. She should try eating her fruit and yogurt midday. And please tell her to stop counting calories! She's only going to gain muscle mass with Paleo, and the quality of the calories she consumes is what counts! Many of us ladies are eating 2500+ calories a day, if we bothered to keep track, and the body fat is just sliding off!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    MORE FAT!!! less sugar.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    Your GF should be eating eggs, leftover cold meats, butter, coconut oil, piles of veg. Think big-ass veggie omelettes with a quarter avocado, or bacon and eggs cooked in butter with a veggie side dish leftover from last night. Even BulletProof Coffee if she's rushed in the mornings.
    Eating that much fruit so early in the day is what's likely causing her hunger, as it's causing an insulin spike and crash later. Yogurt is also an insulin spiker. She should try eating her fruit and yogurt midday. And please tell her to stop counting calories! She's only going to gain muscle mass with Paleo, and the quality of the calories she consumes is what counts! Many of us ladies are eating 2500+ calories a day, if we bothered to keep track, and the body fat is just sliding off!
    +1.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for paying attention to macronutrient ratios. The ideal is at least 50 g protein, at least 20 g fat, very low carb. This optimises the body's ability to balance blood sugar throughout the rest of the day.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

ATN
    ATN is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for ALL the suggestions!

I've already told her to stop counting but she can't...for now
    I semi-forced her to try eating paleo for 2 weeks. She's still not entirely convinced that eating this much fat is good. I hope she'll hold on to it as I believe improvements are real with this lifestyle.

I make my own greek yogurt from 3.25% milk, which eliminates almost all carbs (no added sugar and I remove the whey).
    Does it matter if the fruit is a banana? Is it any better?
    How about reintroducing the almond butter?
    Last edited by ATN; 01-31-2012 at 09:51 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    More fat, more protein, less milk sugar. I thought for sure as a 46-year-old woman that the rules didn't apply to me, that I couldn't possibly increase fat and lose weight. But it wasn't until I did it that it actually started to work. Go watch a youtube video of Gary Taubes lecture so you can see WHY it works (and why a breakfast of fruit and milk sugar with a little hit of walnut fat won't). Then it'll make sense.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ATN View Post
    So far so good for me. For my gf, I could say it's a rough start. She mainly has trouble with breakfast. She used to eat oatmeal, yogurt, and almond butter (all mixed together). After this meal she didn't feel hungry. After the switch, she started eating walnuts, yogurt, blueberry, and some kind of fruit. The problem is that she feels pretty hungry 2 or 3 hours after that. She based her meal size according to the amount of calories she used to eat. I told her to base her meal size according to her hunger level but refuses to do so as she's under the impression that's it's too much and she'll gain weight.
    Atn
    First off, congratulations on the switch. A year from now, you'll look back at this switch as the best thing you've ever done in your life. I know from experience.

To speak to the issue about your girlfriend's hunger, the best thing for her to eat for breakfast would be...well...nothing. I skip breakfast every single morning, but this isn't feasible for a beginner in most cases. If you're going to eat breakfast, eggs are the best. They are a slow-digesting protein, they keep you full for a very long time, they are one of the most nutritionally dense things in nature since you're essentially eating an "entire animal", and they never seem to lead to overeating or binging. Why not switch to eggs? TIP: mix eggs with some cooked vegetables and crumbled bacon, spoon them into greased muffin tins and bake. You basically get an egg muffin. I recommend bacon and mushrooms, bacon and spinach or bacon and red peppers. Awesome!

If that isn't feasible, I recommend this as it is an absolutely amazing hunger-buster:

Take a can of pumpkin puree, mix it with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, mix in berries and shredded coconut. Every now and again, some nuts or nut butter is a nice treat, A few drops of stevia extract and vanilla extract and you have an awesome pumpkin pudding that will keep you full for hours. It's also great with a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder mixed in. Chocolate pumpkin pudding! I frequently eat it as a dessert, and it can fit in well to a low-carb day OR a high-carb day. Pumpkin puree is pretty amazing stuff and is my go-to filler in a lot of reasons because it's so filling and low calorie.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast