Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have that ripped, Grok body? page 2

allie Guest

Shop Now

Nah. I'd say I'm average, but healthy. For example, I'm still soft in the typical female areas, but the unhealthy "belly fat" around my waistline has been shrinking steadily. Which is great. It's not just an aesthetic improvement; it's a good indicator of health.

"I think neither Grok nor hunter-gatherers spent much time looking in mirrors or admiring each other's bodies. I think what mattered more was functionality: could the male hunt? (Walk, fasting, for 2 or 3 days at a time? Track the beasts? Carry home the carcass?) Could the female walk for miles, dig out deep roots or gather nuts and carry home 40 pounds of forage as well as 1 or 2 children on her body?"

True.

Basically, I eat nutritious food and make sure I'm capable of functional fitness (I can walk a looooong distance to the shops, carry bags of groceries, and sprint after the bus if need be!!). That's all I worry about anymore. I won't be ripped from this by any means, but I believe my body will be where it's naturally meant to be... that's a happy medium for me.

(sorry, silly question: how exactly do you integrate quotes in a post? the coding confuses me a little)

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Nope. I'm not ripped.

But I've been unemployed x 7 months, and have had to make some serious economic adjustments to my diet/lifestyle.

I have to buy grocery store meat right now, but take fish oil and Vit D3. Had to freeze my gym membership-but take two hour walks every day, and sprint in the park. I buy my veggies and eggs at the Farmers' Market twice a week. I have a torn Meniscus in my left knee which hurts sometimes; can't get it repaired until I'm working/have insurance again.

Ripped? No. But I am maintaining...and SO much healthier than I was. It's a journey...

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Getting ripped is not my goal.

Manipulating my genetic expression for optimal health is my goal.

If that includes a ripped body after being obese for over a decade (ha ha for real?), I doubt I will complain.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Oceanlogic is offline Junior Member

I started out like this-

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=164459839& albumID=210639&imageID=612358#a=210639&i=612948

But now I'm leaner.....the only thing is that I have lost some mass...about 10lb. (41 years @ 5'11 at 175lb now)

I work out most days.....cardio/lifting.

I do not eat dairy/wheat.

Nicki25 Guest

I think I've achieved the goal of a Grok body. I saw an ex last week, and he told me I look like a "gazelle". Not sure what that means but I think they are pretty lean

However--for me, anyways--I SUPER DISAGREE that you have to approximate close to 100% compliance with the PB in order to achieve the best results. Sometimes I'm not even at 80%!!! More like 50!!! And that has given me the best results.

Here's why--truly, the mind is the most important part of any weight loss effort. And for me, when I am overly restrictive, my mind gets "sticky" with cravings.

Example: On weeks when I'm being super primal, I still have a small bowl of coconut milk ice cream, some tea, and maybe a truffle or two. (Not saying everyone should do that so leave me alone! lol) Sometimes my desert is a little better, like coconut ice cream and fruit.

I find, that by allowing myself that indulgence every evening, my mind relaxes and I'm able to stick with the blueprint.

Whereas, if I do not allow myself that treat every day, then I wrestle with cravings for it all week, and the cravings come in the morning, and pop up during the day, and at night all I want is that damn ice cream! But I am determined not to have it....and this usually culminates in me eating a huge sickeningly sweet dessert by the end of the week and feeling like crap.

Also for, having a desert at night with some good sugars and fats helps me sleep better for some reason.

Another example: While on the PB, every few days I will have a day when I need "extra fuel" and my stomach is telling me that protein and fats are not cutting it. So thats when I order some bread with my salad, or eat the rice in my Thai curry. And I don't feel bad at all. I incorporate slow, mindful eating and I listen to the signals my body is sending me.

Finally, while traveling I am more lenient on the PB plan--yes, I eat the spaghetti! I don't get all you weirdos that say, oh I'll never have it because I know I'll feel sick afterwards, as though it's a bomb and not a baguette.--Just teasing. I like to try the local cuisine when I travel, so for one meal of the day I may have a non PB based option. I eat slowly, try to get in good fats with the grains, and know that I'll never regret sampling an amazing bolognese pasta or a to-die-for piroshki.

I don't know why I felt so compelled to post about this. Perhaps it's because I used to be brainwashed by an all-or-nothing mentality when dieting. For most people, it's the worst thing you can do. And you don't need it for the best results.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

@Nicki -- I see your point, but I think what you've identified is a variance in individuals' minds, bodies, and goals.

Some bodies need very strict carb control to achieve super-leanness and/or avoid illness. Other bodies tolerate, or even require, more carbs for optimal function.

Some minds need very strict dietary control to avoid cravings. Other minds require more flexibility to "stay sane."

I'm somewhere in-between on both counts. Physically, I can eat the occasional carb-heavy, grain-laden, sugar-laced meal with no ill effects at all. Mentally, I'm not particularly suceptable to spiraling off the wagon due to either strict compliance OR cheat meals. That said, I strongly prefer the way I look, feel, and perform when my compliance is near 100%...and I do think that the stronger the compliance, the stronger the body.

Now, you may still achieve very satisfactory results on lower compliance. Good on ya. You could probably achieve BETTER (if "more ripped" is how we're defining "better") results with greater compliance. This is where the goals come in. If maximum ripped-ness isn't your goal, to the point that it's worth giving up treats most days, that's totally cool.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I have gotten increasingly lean with primal/paleo eating and fitness...I dropped down to ~17% BF while gaining muscle, especially in my shoulders, back and thighs. Sweet!

Tamara, fyi I checked out your blog and got inspired and sent you some email with questions about the primal living.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Same here...was lean to begin with but Primal leaned me out even more and added a bit of bulk. My wife says I'm definitely bulkier than pre-primal days...and almost at the six pack.

BarbeyGirl - that is a great pic!

I grok, therefore I am.

Nicki25 Guest

@ Barbey girl.

I agree--different strokes for different folks. That's why I wanted to post my side. Seems more folks here lean toward your "maximum compliance for maximum results" line of thinking, and I don't think that's necessary or even ideal for a lot of people.

And I think that we can agree to disagree on that point. Besides being better for my mentality, adopting a more lenient approach has given me the best body I could ever imagine. And I take issue with you describing my results as "satisfactory" when actually they are damn fantastic.

And that's what the initial poster was referring to, after all. I did say I was following the PB. And it's a grey zone when you start defining minimums. I may not be 100% primal. But I'm 100% better than I used to be!

As far as "more ripped=better" I strongly disagree. As a matter of fact, I used to be more "ripped" when I was doing a lot of excessive, unhealthy exercise. But they were big, bulky, unattractive muscles. When I adopted the PB plan and started doing pilates I leaned out and developed that dancers physique I wanted. (Funny since I've always been a dancer) So again, different strokes for different folks. When I am more ripped, my jeans go up a size or two. Not exactly what we ladies usually aim for. I'm not ripped, but I'm super toned.

I also think it depends on where your passions lie, and you have to factor that in. From your blog, it seems you've developed a passion for nature and quiet living. I enjoy that too, but I also have a passion for dancing it up in a wild&crazy club at 4 am in Barcelona. And I think that energizes me just as much as a solid 9 hours sleep in a tranquil farmstead would.

Like you said, its really all about preferences. You prefer to be 100%. I prefer not to. I just don't think we all need to strive for some sort of Walden ideal, when the results are there for the taking in the real world.

ps I know that last comment may have sounded derogatory, so I'm sorry for that. I'm glad you have found a great lifestyle and a way of living that works well for you. I'm just saying, that what is best for you may not be best for everyone.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

@Nicki -- I'm not sure we even need to agree to disagree. We agree that people have different ideas about what is "best" regarding lifestyle, body composition, and a whole lot of other things.

I simply understood the original question to be framing "more ripped" as "better" for purposes of the discussion in this thread. I don't certainly don't think that such is the case for everyone.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast