Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honey and Dairy. Am I really eating Primal??? page

markhamilton is offline Junior Member

Honey and Dairy. Am I really eating Primal???

Shop Now
    Hey folks. First time poster so go easy!

Ive been following the primal diet now since the start of January. No grains, legumes, starchy foods etc. Basically just nuts, veg, meat, coconut products etc! However, I am also still eating dairy such as organic full fat yoghurt, cottage cheese organic greek yoghurt. I also like a teaspoon of organic honey in the moring with my berries and nuts with yoghurt. My question is, how "unprimal" would this be? is the honey a big no no?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    According to Mark's books and posts, all of those foods are primally allowed as part of 80/20.
    But it's a matter of degree. It sounds as if you're eating far too much of them. You should be eating yogurt OR honey OR nuts, not all of them at the same time!
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

darn. so nuts berries and yoghurt in the morning shouldnt be on the agenda? Even if I left out the honey?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    How's your progress? Are you asking these questions because you are unhappy with it?

Your breakfast is high carb - ideally it should be the lowest carb meal of the day. 1 teaspoon of honey a day is much less of a problem than eating a lot of nuts IMO.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on how you feel. 20%.... I think it could accomodate a breakfast of nuts, berries, yogurt and a bit of honey. I don't see where he limits fruit *at all* or nuts *at all* unless you need to lose weight then you should eat those in limited quantities.

Some people may not see the results they want eating those items, but if you feel great and are getting what you want out of the plan, I would not worry, unless I dunno, you are using that to replace more than 20% of meats, veggies and fats in your diet. (Like 75% of your calories come from that meal).

Yogurt:
    The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

Nuts:
    Nuts Nutrition | Mark's Daily Apple

Honey:
    The Definitive Guide to Sugar | Mark's Daily Apple

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The article above on Nuts Nutrition advises: "About an ounce a day is a reasonable portion size – think one small handful. "

It's advisable to limit intake due to their high omega 6 content.

I doubt you'd be eating much more than that in your breakfast, and you don't make it clear whether you're eating nuts at other times of the day.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    PB - would you mind expanding on why breakfast should be the lowest carb meal of the day please?
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The article above on Nuts Nutrition advises: "About an ounce a day is a reasonable portion size think one small handful. "

It's advisable to limit intake due to their high omega 6 content.

I doubt you'd be eating much more than that in your breakfast, and you don't make it clear whether you're eating nuts at other times of the day.
    I dont eat nuts at any other time of day other than at breakfast. Usually consists of about 5 brazil nuts chopped up and 4 blanched almonds heaped with a pile of blueberries and blackberries. About 2 tbsp of yoghurt. Jusr weighed my self there. Havent lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. THink im gonna have to re-structure my eating habits. Eggs for breakfast most mornings

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Usually consists of about 5 brazil nuts chopped up and 4 blanched almonds heaped with a pile of blueberries and blackberries. About 2 tbsp of yoghurt.
    That sounds like a skimpy breakfast that would make me overeat all day. If it were me, and I loved that meal, I'd make it a treat a few times a week OR I'd have it with some eggs for a big breakfast on a day I'd be skipping lunch.

mmapags is offline Member
    [QUOTE=paleo-bunny;702001]How's your progress? Are you asking these questions because you are unhappy with it?

Your breakfast is high carb - ideally it should be the lowest carb meal of the day. 1 teaspoon of honey a day is much less of a problem than eating a lot of nuts IMO.[/QUOTE]

Can you help me understand your logic here. Honey is fairly high glucose but nuts are not and mostly fat. No disrespect. I'm just confused by your statement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast