Thread: Fasting after a Cheat! page

AshleyCR is offline Member

Fasting after a Cheat!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last night I ate a handful of marshmallows after a day of normal Primal eating. The marshmallows were swimming in a cup of hot chocolate. The devil on my shoulder whispered that marshmallows are made from pig fat. This didn't make me feel less guilty, just a little more amused.

I find I end up fasting the day after falling off the wagon.
    Does anyone else do this to reset your body (if indeed, a day of fasting can accomplish that)?

Does it help you regain control of your appetite?

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Marshmallows and hot chocolate? Just eat and move on. Don't fast to punish yourself for a minor indulgence.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It helps you down the path to an eating disorder. "Cheats" should not be given any serious weight. Enjoy and continue as usual.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

AshleyCR is offline Member
    I didn't think of it in that respect.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Fasting after a non-primal meal doesn't work for me. The sugar makes me more likely to cave in and grab whatever is convenient when I get hungry during the fast .

What works best for me is to make sure to eat three solid primal meals the day after - starting with a huge protein/fat breakfast. It kills any cravings that may be set off by the sugar.

However, following a single cup of hot chocolate with a few marshmallow I wouldn't necessarily to anything different the next day. It is a pretty minor infraction.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Don't get sucked into that trap. If you want to fast, or really don't want to eat, fine. But no "atoning" for something that wasn't primal.

Domino Theory is offline Junior Member
    I'm doing Leangains + Paleo so I fast everyday, but every two weeks to a month, I get the urge to satisfy my cravings. Don't beat yourself up if you sneak in a cheat or two here and there. The thing that matters in the end is that you go right back to being Primal unlike 90% of Americans who try a diet, cheat, then guilt themselves into thinking the diet isn't for them.

But yes, fasting can offset the 'damage' you did with the cheat meal. Just make sure you have adequate protein intake on the day you cheat so that your body has ample supply of amino acids during the fast.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    It's a handful of marshmallows, not a meth-binge.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    A lot of programmes have a fast day following a cheat day. (Though that wasnt a cheat day). Then low and mod carb followed by the cheat again. lean Saloon uses fasting to maintain leanness whilst eating foods he likes.
    Last edited by Sue; 01-31-2012 at 06:06 AM.