Thread: Do I count fiber towards carbs? page

doctoratlee Guest

Primal Fuel

A head of romaine is about 20 grams of carbs, but 13 of them are fiber. If I'm trying to eat around 50 grams of carbs a day, one salad uses alot of those carbs. Thoughts?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Yes you count them.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

buffalo is offline Junior Member

No, fibre is indigestible carbohydrates, so they won't be absorbed into the blood stream.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Mark counts them so if you re going by his carbohydrate curve you should include them. Because of the nature of primal foods a lot of your carbs will come from fiber and that is fine.

But why the 50g a day number? If you think you need more because your salad "uses them up" too quickly, eat more than that.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I don't. My reason for eating less carbs is to minimize my insulin levels. Fiber actually lowers insulin spikes.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yes, fiber mitigates insulin spikes by slowing the absorbtion of carbohydrate into the bloodstream.

HOWEVER, fiber is already figured into Mark's calculations for ideal carb intake on his Primal Blueprint Carbohydrate Curve.

That's why Mark recommends 50-100g TOTAL carbs per day as the "weight loss sweet spot" while Atkins recommends some lower number of NET (total minus fiber) carbs to achieve the same effect.

Same message, just a different calculation method. Pick either, but be consistent. If you're going to shoot for a 50-100 total carbs per day for the PB sweet spot, then you have to count the carbs from fiber. Counting net carbs is fine, but then you'll need to shoot for a lower number of grams to get the same result.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

doctoratlee Guest

PrimalCon New York

Thanks, I think that sums it up well for me.