Thread: leptin reset -- sample meals with amounts page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

leptin reset -- sample meals with amounts

Primal Fuel
    I know there are other threads going on leptin reset, but I didn't see one that just lists what people eat with amounts (how much is 50 grams protein anyway??).
    B:
    L:
    D:

I'm thinking of starting, but I got overwhelmed trying to read the 1500+page thread to learn more about it.

I think a sample meal thread would be helpful to me -- I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to chime in. Thanks!

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I just posted this on the mega-thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    Funny, I just posted this on the mega-thread.
    Thanks for sharing, Croak. That mega thread feels so daunting to me. I decided I could learn a lot by reading it, but once I started down that meandering path, I simply felt overwhelmed with info and side conversations.

I still don't know how much 50 grams of protein is (or 200 as you have for dinner)-- maybe one chicken breast?

Also, I thought a big part of leptin reset was to eat 3 meals, not 2.

Thanks, I still need to read up and would love to hear more daily meals.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    One whole 140g chicken breast, with skin, contains about 35-40g of protein. A skinless breast is only 25g of protein. A large egg has 6g of protein. A slice of bacon is also about 6g. Now maybe you can see why they call it a BAB.

And sorry for the confusion, my 200g of meat at dinner referred to how much the piece of meat itself generally weighed, not the protein content. Dinner protein is usually somewhere around 25-35g.

Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    One whole 140g chicken breast, with skin, contains about 35-40g of protein. A skinless breast is only 25g of protein. A large egg has 6g of protein. A slice of bacon is also about 6g. Now maybe you can see why they call it a BAB.

And sorry for the confusion, my 200g of meat at dinner referred to how much the piece of meat itself generally weighed, not the protein content. Dinner protein is usually somewhere around 25-35g.
    This is helpful, thanks. Do you actually use a scale and weigh or are you going by weight on package. I often wonder if I'm eating enough protein - have been primal for a long time, but I know I need to shake things up a bit, hence the research into leptin research.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    One useful guideline is from CW - a "serving" of protein (about 4oz) is the size of the palm of your hand. And an ounce of almost any meat has the same protein as one egg, and the same as an ounce of most hard cheeeses - 7g.

So you need 7g * 7 somethings (plus a smidge more) to get to 50g protein. That could be 7 eggs. Or 7 ounces of meat (almost twice the size of the palm of a typical hand). Or 3 eggs + one "serving" of any kind of meat. Etc.

Start with a big breakfast, normal lunch, normal dinner. After some days/weeks/months, you may start to feel you can't eat lunch. Stop eating lunch! When you start feeling like you're full right through dinner, too, then you know it's time to start backing off of the size of the BAB until you have a reasonable dinner appetite again.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    This is helpful, thanks. Do you actually use a scale and weigh or are you going by weight on package. I often wonder if I'm eating enough protein - have been primal for a long time, but I know I need to shake things up a bit, hence the research into leptin research.
    I will say that, personally, a small kitchen scale and NutritionData.com have helped me tremendously when it comes to adding up everything I'm eating and figuring out what I'm doing every day nutrient-wise. If you tend to make huge vats of food at a time like I do, you can also enter in whole recipes on that site and have it cut it into nutrients-per-serving-size chunks. And then you can add the serving size of your custom recipe to your daily total, and stuff like that. I find it really useful. It's good to know if I need to gobble up a quick can of tuna at the end of the day for a protein hit.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -