Thread: Think Primal eating is limited? page

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member

Think Primal eating is limited?

Shop Now
    Alright, this is for the newbies.

So, you've come across this concept of eating primal, and you've seen the things we choose NOT to eat, especially grains. Chances are that you've eaten grains every day without a second thought, and once you've spotted this caveat, you've thought, "What? What do these people EAT, if not bread or pasta?" I know, because I thought that myself once.

Here's something that might illustrate how little these cereals have to offer compared to the foods we DO like to eat in Paleoville.

First, the major food groups:

Meat, Seafood, Vegetables, Fruit, Grains.

Seeing as grains are the big no-no for us, let's get rid of it and see what we're left with.

Meat, Seafood, Vegetables, Fruit.

Oh God, we're all going to starve! How will I cope without sandwiches, pasta, pizza?

Slow down. Let’s click and expand these groups.

Meat

Beef, Chicken, Duck, Goat, Goose, Lamb, Mutton, Pork, Rabbit, Turkey, Veal, Venison. Not forgetting the different cuts and then there's the offal of each animal for even more variety.

Seafood

Brill, Clams, Cod, Crab, Haddock, Halibut, John Dory, Lobster, Mullet, Mussel, Oyster, Plaice, Pollack, Prawn, Razorclam, Salmon, Scallop, Shrimp, Skate, Sole, Squid, Swordfish, Tuna, Turbot

Vegetables

Artichoke, Aubergine, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Courgette, Cucumber, Kale, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Marrow, Mushroom, Onion, Parsnip, Pepper, Plantain, Potato, Radish, Sweet Potato, Tomato, Turnip. I could go on, so I shall. Asparagus, Celeriac, Chard, Chicory, Fennel, Leek, Pak Choi, Pumpkin, Rocket, Salsify, Samphire, Shallot , Watercress

Fruit

Apple, Apricot, Banana, Blackberry, Blood Orange, Blueberry, Coconut, Fig, Gooseberry, Grape, Grapefruit, Lychee, Mango, Melon, Nectarine, Orange, Pawpaw, Passion Fruit, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Plum, Quince, Raspberry, Rhubarb (technically a vegetable), Strawberry. And, as an aside, Cranberry. Greengage. Kiwi Fruit. Pomegranate. Prune.

Cereal & Grains

Bread, Cake, Oatcake, Pasta, Porridge, Sweetcorn

These lists aren't exhaustive. I left them like that on purpose.

Because I shouldn't have to list the entire range of edible food – real food – that’s available to illustrate the point. That primal isn't limited, if you give it a bit of thought. Yes, if you’re going the low-carb route then there are a few – a few – choices you'll need to eliminate. That's still a small loss in comparison to what you’re left with.

Oh, I forgot to add the herbs and spices as well.

Still think primal eating is limited?

Let’s have a look at our list now that the grains have gone:

Meat

Beef, Chicken, Duck, Goat, Goose, Lamb, Mutton, Pork, Rabbit, Turkey, Veal, Venison. Not forgetting the different cuts and then there’s the offal of each animal for even more variety.

Seafood

Brill, Clams, Cod, Crab, Haddock, Halibut, John Dory, Lobster, Mullet, Mussel, Oyster, Plaice, Pollack, Prawn, Razorclam, Salmon, Scallop, Shrimp, Skate, Sole, Squid, Swordfish, Tuna, Turbot

Vegetables

Artichoke, Aubergine, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Courgette, Cucumber, Kale, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Marrow, Mushroom, Onion, Parsnip, Pepper, Plantain, Potato, Radish, Sweet Potato, Tomato, Turnip. Asparagus, Celeriac, Chard, Chicory, Fennel, Leek, Pak Choi, Pumpkin, Rocket, Salsify, Samphire, Shallot , Watercress

Fruit

Apple, Apricot, Banana, Blackberry, Blood Orange, Blueberry, Coconut, Fig, Gooseberry, Grape, Grapefruit, Lychee, Mango, Melon, Nectarine, Orange, Pawpaw, Passion Fruit, Peach, Pear, Pineapple, Plum, Quince, Raspberry, Rhubarb (technically a vegetable), Strawberry. Cranberry. Greengage. Kiwi Fruit. Pomegranate. Prune.

Yes, I could have listed all the different types of cakes and breads, but I could also have listed all the different sub-species of the fruit and vegetables above, not to mention the different breeds of each protein.

Don't weep for the loss of grains. Realise that your diet is most likely going to be more, not less, varied from now on.
    Last edited by Rip @ MIPWID; 01-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Good post. Sprouted grains are, IMO, decent options (especially post-workout), but a diet without grains is by no means boring or extreme.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Good post. Sprouted grains are, IMO, decent options (especially post-workout), but a diet without grains is by no means boring or extreme.
    I wouldn't eat sprouted wheat if you paid me, but I'll have a little rice without a second thought. It can be a bit of a pitfall thinking of them as a monolithic food group. They come with varying risks. Same thing with legumes. I'm less worried about a lentil than a soybean.