Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grass Fed Butter in Manitoba, Canada? page

CSilivestru is offline Member

Grass Fed Butter in Manitoba, Canada?

Primal Fuel
    I live in Winnipeg and all I can find is organic butter (which, I'm guessing, is not the same as grass fed butter). Does anyone know where I can score some grass fed butter in Manitoba or even Canada in general for others that might be interested?

Thanks!
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the city too, and have had no luck. Organic is the best I can find (president's choice, organic meadow or l'ancetre from quebec, which tastes nicer but costs a bit more). I suspect around here you'd need to track it down from a farm, but it seems due to the laws, none of the dairy producers are willing to sell any raw dairy either for fear of prosecution. It's rather sad.

petersen126 is offline Junior Member
    After reading that, need someone for buttering

It really is a sad state! If people can buy cigarettes, why can't I buy raw milk knowing the possible (not probable) implications?
    I can't remember which brand it was but organza's brand (comes in white wrapping) appeared to be the tastiest -- it's just a little out of the way....

I'll keep plugging away and see what I can find!
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Cows have to be fed supplementary feed through winters on the prairies and thus cannot be considered fully grass fed. A friend of mine who raises pastured beef on a mostly grass diet north of Edmonton explained that cattle can't graze enough once the snow gets too heavy, so the farmers need to feed them hay and sometimes feed, but that the quality of that feed is really important (she NEVER feeds her animals corn or soy).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

That makes a lot of sense, Owly -- thanks!
    I'll take it one step further then... if we can't find grass-fed butter, can we find clarified butter (or Ghee) anywhere in Winnipeg? I figure that's the next best choice before organic butter :-).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty easy to clarify your own butter. I have seen Ghee in the 'international foods' Aisle of the SuperStore here in Calgary.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Yeah -- just reading up on it now.
    I suppose the quality of the ghee still depends on the butter source (grass fed VS conventional). And if I can't find grass fed butter than finding grass fed ghee is probably even more difficult. I may experiment with making my own just to see.

Thanks for the suggestion, Leida!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSilivestru View Post
    That makes a lot of sense, Owly -- thanks!
    I'll take it one step further then... if we can't find grass-fed butter, can we find clarified butter (or Ghee) anywhere in Winnipeg? I figure that's the next best choice before organic butter :-).
    If you want organic ghee, they carry it at Planet Organic here in Edmonton, so I'd expect you'd find it at an organic grocery if you have one there.

I'd choose organic butter over conventional ghee generally. Either way, as Leida pointed out, you can make your own ghee fairly easily.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    If you are stuck buying conventional butter I would suggest buying cultured butter. Higher butter fat and creamier - more like European butter.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast