Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does PB affect personality? page

erkan is offline Junior Member

Does PB affect personality?

I am now well into my second month of Primal and find it really easy to do. Like most of us, the biggest step was to take out sugar, grains and legumes and add more meat, fish and fat. Vegetables I always had plenty.

Body-wise, results are remarkable. Although I have always been athletic, I started packing more muscle than ever before, with less exercise. I am not into Primal for weight-loss.

However, what I am curious about is whether others have experienced slight personality altering effects. I feel that I have started becoming more extroverted, open, outgoing and direct to other people. For more than 30 years, I considered myself a rather reserved person. Change is not spectacular but perceptible.

I don't know if it is due to better sleep (sleep has improved tremendously after going primal) or a testosterone uptake because of all the beef or is there is something else at play? Could a radical change of food affect the mind? T

I feel extremely good with it, so there is definitely no way back!

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    The most noticeable difference for me so far is not being anywhere near as irritable in the mornings.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan View Post
    I feel that I have started becoming more extroverted, open, outgoing and direct to other people. For more than 30 years, I considered myself a rather reserved person. Change is not spectacular but perceptible.
    I had this exact same experience. Not a clue why though...

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I think that diet really affects brain chemistry and hormone output, so I think Primal could absolutely be contributing to your perceived personality shifts. It's the kind of diet that supports proper overall brain balance and doesn't contribute to low blood sugar-induced brain wave patterns (which can certainly up anxiety levels and inhibit frontal lobe function, leaving us at the mercy of our reactive amygdalas, making us more tense, reactive, emotional, insecure, etc.)

PrimalStewart is offline Banned
    I think that - in a large degree - primal starts with how you view your diet....and that beginning....it slowly spreads to how you see many other things. you want to get to the very nature of things, the very marrow of existence.
    I know I do.

For me it was a radical, yet subtle, alteration. ....It has changed me for sure.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan View Post
    However, what I am curious about is whether others have experienced slight personality altering effects. I feel that I have started becoming more extroverted, open, outgoing and direct to other people. For more than 30 years, I considered myself a rather reserved person. Change is not spectacular but perceptible.
    Yes, yes. I'm a total misanthrope. On bad days I hate people and on good days I just don't care about them or notice them. I could live as a hermit and be happy. But lately I feel happy all the time, burning deep inside and welling outward. I smile when people talk to me. I don't feel quite so awkard around people. I don't feel as depressive and pessimistic. I feel happy, outgoing, optimistic, friendly. I'll even initiate a conversation sometimes. I feel a deep peace inside me, an electric buzzing full of heat and life energy. Sometimes I just feel like breaking out into a run, and sometimes I even do it. The other day I actually had the assertiveness to kick someone off a hike I was leading. I'm usually too wimpy to exert such authority and have to resort to manipulation rather than just be direct. This time I just told it like it was: You can't keep up, you can't be on my hike, time for you to sign out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    I wonder the same thing. I think it has to do with eating the right things that end up making us feel better and that reflects outwardly in the long-run. I don't feel quite so depressed, I'm a little more outgoing (despite being an introvert) and I do find myself a little more motivated and assertive. Many people have commented off/on this forum re: sex drive - and I think that is also because we are getting the right nutrients. So it's many things it affects.....
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

meesun is offline Junior Member

same experience

Quote Originally Posted by jenh View Post
    I wonder the same thing. I think it has to do with eating the right things that end up making us feel better and that reflects outwardly in the long-run. I don't feel quite so depressed, I'm a little more outgoing (despite being an introvert) and I do find myself a little more motivated and assertive. Many people have commented off/on this forum re: sex drive - and I think that is also because we are getting the right nutrients. So it's many things it affects.....
    I definitely felt emotionally better when I began this journey. I am now however wondering why I seem to be falling backwards... I feel like I've reached a plateau and it is a bit discouraging. I haven't been exercising as much, so that may be accounting for this lag.

Any thoughts?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I catch myself scowling more. Walking by mirrors and windows I think, "What's that guy worried about?". But maybe I'm just beginning my descent into the cranky old man realm. At 29.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I think that diet really affects brain chemistry and hormone output, so I think Primal could absolutely be contributing to your perceived personality shifts. It's the kind of diet that supports proper overall brain balance and doesn't contribute to low blood sugar-induced brain wave patterns (which can certainly up anxiety levels and inhibit frontal lobe function, leaving us at the mercy of our reactive amygdalas, making us more tense, reactive, emotional, insecure, etc.)
    Agree w/ hazyjane. You may find some of the writing at Evolutionary Psychiatry interesting. Lots about nutrition (paleo/primal emphasis) and the implications for mental health etc... (Map of the blog here: Evolutionary Psychiatry: Map)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast