Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn Tortillas page

santacruzhood is offline Junior Member

Corn Tortillas

Shop Now
    I'm just getting primal and exterminating my pastas, breads, grains, etc. I think that I may need to apply Mark's 80/20 rule on this one though... actually it may be a 95/5 rule for this case. I would like to keep both my corn tortillas and popcorn and eat them in a moderate fashion (2 corn tortillas per day / 1 cup of popcorn per week cooked with olive oil). Everything else, though, will be gone. What do you all think?

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I think that if you are going to eat them you should learn to make your own so you know what's gone into them.

At once a week, shouldn't be too bad.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Don't be so sure corn is safe ~ after I cleared my system, during the refeed, I discovered I reacted to corn too~ even though it's not suppose to have gluten. One thing I do know, for at least the last 20 years, commercial farms grow Roundup ReadyŽ corn~ that means if you're eating the corn, you're eating Roundup.

If having corn tortillas is really important, better make sure they are organic~

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    2 corn tortillas per day does not sound moderate to me. I think it's best to try without for at least a few weeks (if not a full month) and then see how much you really miss them. You're not really "going primal" when you make yourself exceptions.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    As already mentioned, be very careful with corn. It's not as problematic as wheat or oats, but it's no friend by any means. Two corn tortillas is a HUGE amount of corn, and I would never, ever do that to my body.

Every once in awhile I'll have corn tortillas for a carb-up, which works out to half a dozen 6" tortillas for me...but we're talking maybe once every other month. I also get very good corn tortillas from Trader Joe's. The only ingredients are corn, water, lime and salt. No thickeners, no emulsifiers, no gums, no colors, nothing but real ingredients. These are almost impossible to find in a grocery store. Also, through trial and error I have determined I have no immediate negative reaction to corn tortillas. YMMV. I suggest proceeding with caution, and even if you determine you have no reaction, keep them a very rare treat, maybe once a month. Remember, most of us aren't very sensitive to wheat, either. It takes years of the toxins building up in our system to cause problems. The same thing may happen to corn, and if you think because you have no reaction to corn tortillas today, it may turn into a big problem if you start consuming them with any kind of regularity.

I would strongly recommend you go with absolutely no grains of any kind of three months, with the exception of maybe white rice. This should really cleanse your system. One of two things will likely happen:

1.) You will lose all desire for corn tortillas and popcorn altogether. This is what you want.

2.) You decide you'd still like to have them as an occasional treat. If you can find your own organic, non-GMO corn kernels for popping, you may find you can handle corn once a week. Personally, that is WAY too much corn for me and I'd keep it at once a month or less. The problem is, you don't know if you have an issue with something until you completely eliminate it for a few months, then add it back in. If you never eliminate the variable, you will never know if it's causing issues.

Besides, wasting an indulgence on tasteless popcorn or corn tortillas is a waste, IMO. I use the very rare indulgence for something worth it, like real, local sweet corn at my family's 4th of July BBQ (which I will always indulge in with no apologies), or my fermented jalapeno cornbread, which absolutely kicks ass and is nearly fat free for post-workout winnage on very, very rare occasion.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzhood View Post
    I'm just getting primal and exterminating my pastas, breads, grains, etc. I think that I may need to apply Mark's 80/20 rule on this one though... actually it may be a 95/5 rule for this case. I would like to keep both my corn tortillas and popcorn and eat them in a moderate fashion (2 corn tortillas per day / 1 cup of popcorn per week cooked with olive oil). Everything else, though, will be gone. What do you all think?
    If you're going to eat popcorn, make sure it's organic and cook it with Coconut Oil like they used to in the old days before CO was unfairly vilified (they used hydrogenated CO for the studies to back up their "coconut oil is bad" campaign). And warm up some Ghee instead of butter because it doesn't contain the moisture that butter does so your popcorn won't get as soggy!! YUM!!

I also gain about 3 lbs each time I eat 2 organic corn tortillas. So they aren't safe for me either as they seem to cause inflammation when I eat them. I also love popcorn but rarely eat it now since I realized corn isn't my friend.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhPrincess View Post
    I also gain about 3 lbs each time I eat 2 organic corn tortillas. So they aren't safe for me either as they seem to cause inflammation when I eat them.
    No they don't. That is solely water and glycogen weight. It's not inflammation at all. You store 3-4 grams of water for each gram of glycogen stored, so you're coming from a depleted, low-carb state to suddenly having some glycogen in your muscles from carbohydrate. Think nothing of it. If it were inflammation, you'd be experiencing things like joint pain, rashes, acne breakouts, sneezing or itching. Make no mistake about it, there is nothing wrong with putting on a few pounds of water weight from actually eating some starch. That's actually a positive sign. Carbohydrate can't be stored as fat until glycogen stores are full - it's actually more difficult to store as fat than dietary fat assuming you're metabolically healthy because glycogen storage takes precedence. If you WEREN'T gaining weight after eating carbs, that would mean you're storing fat. The fact that your weight swells means you're storing glycogen and water instead of storing fat.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-30-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I do have popcorn a couple times a month- always organic (TJs has a great price!) and cooked with good fats. If you kettle pop ot with a combo of butter and virgin coconut oil, it tastes like what movie theatre popcorn wishes it tasted like. If you do corn tortillas, I also recommend the TJ's, but not two a day. That's a lot.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    +1 on testing it through elimination. The person I went primal with gained a decent amount of weight and had some mild health issues when she reintroduced 2-3 small corn tortillas with breakfast.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    great thread... yeah, as a girl from socal I like a corn tortilla now and then. I've been eating one occasionally when we make mexican food. organic, and crisped in the oven in olive or coconut oil. but there's a great case in these answers for not overdoing it week in and and week out. thats why the whole30 can be so helpful: you get rid of just about everything and maybe find you don't miss stuff as much as you might have thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast