Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm really discouraged about Body Fat issues. page

Monika is offline Member

I'm really discouraged about Body Fat issues.

Primal Fuel
    Well, here we go...and if I can manage to get this out without sounding like an idiot or getting some smart ass reply from dado I will be satisfied.

About 4 months ago I had my body fat tested at Kaiser on a elctro type scale thing. It was considerably high. 136 pounds 28% bf

I lift heavy things 3 days a week....I strength train like a dude...and I don't mess around. I hit the cardio 3 times a week , that's 3 out of 7 days. I recently stopped going to the gym 6 days a week (3 weeks ago) and started something a little different, still lifting heavy and focusing more on form right now so that I can become stronger in my lifts. I hope this has not had an adverse affect on body fat issues.

I have a scale at home that I jump on occasionally. And the other day I notices (had forgotten) that it could be set to measure body fat. So I did this and hopped on....do you know that f*cker said 31% bf and I about fell over...I'm at 138 lbs on that scale and I'm seriously hoping I just made a mistake by thinking my scale is accurate.. and will need to be consistent with how I test my body fat. In other words go back to kaiser.

BTW ..I'm 5ft 4 inches

But this whole episode has freaked me out...I have been primal since August 20, 2011. I feel good, and my goal was to lose bodyfat (before I even had it tested)! I just figured I needed to know what it was before I get a ways into primal. And now this? I am discouraged regardless of how I feel health wise. Is my scale going in the trash or what? I think I'm ranting now...but any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated, at least I know you listened. I'm not one of those success stories, with any dynamic changes taking place. I have lost maybe 6 pounds total...which is great, anything that puts me under 140 is good...but the body fat thing is breaking my heart.

Thanks.

Monika is offline Member
    I am 41 years old.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    The home scales are notoriously inaccurate. Make sure you use them at the same time every day. I've noticed about a 3 percent difference between morning and night. Additionally the fitter you are the more inaccurate they are. You have to have the ones made for athletes. Don't worry too much.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Did you take your measurements? If you lost inches, you've lost BF%.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Those home scales (and any that measure resistance) are very inaccurate. Want to have some fun, drink a big glass of water, watch the BF/BMI change dramatically.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    toss the scale. if you want to track your weight, do so...but do it sparingly and realize that weight can fluctuate for a variety of reasons. body fat measuring is also going to show a bunch of different answers, particularly from a body fat scale. track your progress by measuring your arms, legs, waist, etc. or simply by how your clothes fit, or by taking photos.
    your change in working out will hopefully be helpful, but just remember that fat loss/gain happens almost entirely in the kitchen.

LolaLola is offline Member
    Just some thoughts... The difference between 144lbs (138 plus the 6 you mentioned losing) at 28% fat and 138 at 31% fat is only 2 lbs. It seems unlikely that you could lose 6lbs but actually add on 2lbs of fat. As far as I know you should take the results of those scales with a big pinch of salt. The results for % bodyfat vary hugely depending on how hydrated you are - something to do with how they calculate % water & % fat. I wouldn't take the result too seriously. Have you taken measurements to see how that might be changing? - I think that would be more beneficial than the result on a home weighing scales.

LolaLola is offline Member
    Crossed posts there - but similar advice!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Your % body fat will naturally vary by up to a few % throughout the day and according to variations in glycogen + water stored in your muscles, premenstrual bloating, extra fluid in the muscles post-exercise as your body repairs any damage.

I suggest you take more readings over time to get an accurate handle on the trend - no need to get disheartened over what could just be a blip.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I agree with all the posts here; those scales are bogus. Mine puts me around 18% most of the time when I use it. To give you an idea of the innaccuracy, here are some pics I posted last summer here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post501135

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast