Thread: So many changes! page

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member

So many changes!

Primal Fuel
    Wow guys! I've been primal for about 3 weeks now and the changes are crazy! I'm wondering if anyone can help me make sense of them.
    1.) Carb flu. I know that the time varries from person to person and mine comes and goes. Are there any appropriate sugars that I can eat that will help ease this transition? Currently I'm having a desert of yogurt, berries and honey. Its SO delicious. I always liked honey but now I LOVE it.
    I've also noticed that the morning after I have some yogurt (desert is usually at night or in the early evening, around 5pm) that I wake up with more mucus that usual. The amount has significantly decreased since I stopped eating yogurt regularly. Should I cut out yogurt all together? I could very easily make a whipped cream and add berries and honey but I'm not sure if that would make a difference. What did the carb flu feel like to you guys? For me it feels a bit like a head cold.

2.) I've recently been sweating A LOT. Right now I'm in worn out sweats, a tight long sleeve shirt with a hoodie over it and I'm at work and drenched. I'm simultaneously hot and cold and thirsty. Last night I passed out around 9:30 (that's very early for me) and woke up at 1:30 sweating, tossing and turning, restless and generally unhappy. I moped around the house for a couple hours and finally fell back asleep around 3:30, had some crazy nightmares and then was dead tired when I got up at 5:30. 2 cups of coffee helped, a long with a fatty meaty breakfast and now I'm energetic.

The restlessness kind of bothers me. I've been feeling that was for a couple days now and I think its just the excess energy I have. I can't remember ever feeling like this, except maybe when I was a kid but that was so long ago. I need to figure out what to do with it. I went sledding yesterday and that was a great way to get some energy out.

Otherwise, I really enjoy Primal. A lot of my cravings are gone or are much more manageable. I even had a dream last night that I was offered an M&M type candy and when I tried it it was awful. I guess that stems from not liking the sweet potato fries my boyfriend had with his dinner last night. I'm shocked at how fast my pallet/body is changing. This feels so much better than "5-6 small meals a day" and low fat food. Ug.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating bread for breakfast my whole life, I don't think even 1 day went by without me eating some type of grain.

After 3 days of primal I already felt a HUGE shift in health and overall well being.

In April this year I will hit my 2 year mark of eating (and for the most part exercising) primally.

I'm still experimenting with different food varieties/combos and how I feel afterwards, but for the most part I'm 99% dialed in...homeostasis baby, yeah.

Enjoy your journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You should just endure your symptoms and not try to combat them with sugars. At most, try a thin apple slice or an orange segment, but not much more than that. Both your symptoms sound like carb flu-type symptoms. You can get through it. Drink water and bone broth soup. Get plenty of salt. Sea salt is better than regular.

I mostly felt tired walking up stairs, felt like I couldn't engage in conversation with other people (my mind was really slow although as long as I didn't try to talk I could listen okay), I was pretty sweaty (but it was still summer) and had a lot of hot flushes during the day and in the middle of the night. I thought I was having menopause. At week 4 I had severe cramping and electrolyte problems. You lose a lot of water weight early on and with it, you lose salt and potassium. I took supplemental potassium and magnesium and licked a few salt packets off my hand and felt better. I forced myself to salt my food. Week 5 I broke through finally. It was a hard adjustment for me. But I feel fabulous now. And even a few months later I still have days where I can't believe how much more fabulous I feel than even the previous week. It just gets better and better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    While you might not be tolerating the yogurt well, make sure you check the ingredients on your yogurt. There is a significant amount of sugar in a lot of them, and that can cause mucous issues.
    Also,, the quality of the yogurt can matter too. Dannon and Yoplait are typically rather over-processed.

mmapags is offline Member
    You could have a lactose sensitivity. Lactose is know to cause inflamation of mucosal tisse. Try goat milk yogurt. Very little lactose. Much more digestible. I have the same sensitivity to lactose as you are exibiting and goat milk yogurt gives me non of these symptoms. Even better if it's raw goat milk yogurt.

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the response. I have a lactose sensitivity and so I eat Fage greek yogurt because it doesn't bother me as much. I will have to try goats milk though, that might help a lot. I wont touch those small containers of yogurt, like Dannon or Yoplait because of all the sugar and junk in them. It drives me crazy that my health conscious co workers will eat one for breakfast and then look at me like I'm a freak because I have a big container of greek yogurt with fruit.
    Sbhikes, I have purposely not been adding salt to anything that I eat because I feel SO thirsty. My diet has always been pretty high sodium so I've been trying to eliminate it. I even switched to uncured bacon because I thought the cured stuff was making me crazy thirsty. I did add some salt to dinner tonight and that's cooking in the oven.
    I also feel foggy in the head and a little dizzy. My boyfriend just won fighting a cold so I think he might've brought some germs home with him. I've been popping airborne to try and feel better. It helps a little bit. The fog comes and goes. There are times where I'm just dead, sweaty and parched and other times when I'm zipping around the room. I had an orange for a snack last night and that seemed to help, but you're saying I should abstain from all kinds of sugar? I've got curry chicken (coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce and about 2 tblsp brown sugar over 8 chicken thighs) in the oven..since I used sugar to make those, should I not eat it? How will I know when its ok to have fruit again?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    You really only need to stay away from carbs if you are wanting to get beyond the carb flu and adapt to nutritional ketosis. The primal blueprint doesn't require nutritional ketosis. I did that myself at first because I was pretty sure my problem was insulin resistance and nutritional ketosis is good for that. I found that training my body to favor fat for energy has been a huge positive thing for me. But if that isn't your problem, you should just add some starch to your dinner meal in the form of sweet potatoes or root vegetables or a little rice and maybe add these things at other meals, too. You can add a little starch and still train your body to adapt to ketones, but not a lot. It's really up to you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3