Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mind altering properties of wheat page 5

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalBeth View Post
    Wow, I had virtually the same experience as well. Went on a Primal-like lifestyle change last March and cut out wheat and most sugars. Lost 40+ pounds and was in a fantastic mood all the time. Went a little off the wagon in late fall and started eating more sugar and a little more wheat/starch. One day at work in November - BAM! Major panic attack from out of nowhere. Had anxiety off and on through the holidays, but this January was the worst. I blame major stress at my job, winter blahs, having no trips to look forward to, and (I think) eating maybe 50% Primal. Over the past two weeks I've been supplementing with Vit D (I live in VA), going back to 80/20 Primal and trying to work in more exercise, but the nonstop anxiety is still eating me up. Might be time to visit the doc but first I'll check out the Mood Cure book you referenced.
    I am starting to suspect that once you stop eating wheat you lose the knack, and it has a more serious effect on you if you go back. I thought I was fine eating wheat but I find subtle effects now that i just don't get with, say, peas or sweet potato. Its moreish. Bigger stomach. Hungrier the next day. More likely to eat more wheat. Worse mood. Odd. I can't completely explain it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    I am starting to suspect that once you stop eating wheat you lose the knack, and it has a more serious effect on you if you go back. I thought I was fine eating wheat but I find subtle effects now that i just don't get with, say, peas or sweet potato. Its moreish. Bigger stomach. Hungrier the next day. More likely to eat more wheat. Worse mood. Odd. I can't completely explain it.
    That's what I find. So now I avoid wheat completely.

Last time I ate wheat was in pizza in Italy around 20 months ago. It made me feel sick.

Pizza was my one occasional exception having eaten gluten free for around 5 years. I see no temptation to ever eat pizza again.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 02-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yes, I read once that eating 10 slices of wholemeal wheat bread could induce an LSD-style trip.
    That is ergotism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism

Not from the grain, but a parasitic mould that can grow on it. Rare today and unheard of in developed countries, as it is easy to check the plant for ergot growing on it. It is how LSD is made, AFAIK. Ergot poisoning is deadly, and is suspected of being behind witchcraft allegations in the past.

You are very unlikely to get ergot poisoning from rye bread today, or any flour. One contaminated slice would probably be enough, anyway.
    Last edited by billp; 02-03-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Expanded

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    That is ergotism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism

Not from the grain, but a parasitic mould that can grow on it. Rare today and unheard of in developed countries, as it is easy to check the plant for ergot growing on it. It is how LSD is made, AFAIK. Ergot poisoning is deadly, and is suspected of being behind witchcraft allegations in the past.

You are very unlikely to get ergot poisoning from rye bread today, or any flour. One contaminated slice would probably be enough, anyway.
    And ergot poisoned grain has a black powdery discolouration and it smells something horrible. No way any such grains would get through the processing lines in this day and age.

I have not had gluten products on any regular basis since Sept 2005 an fl so much better for it. My doctor speculates I am coeliac but I don't want the invasive testing so I'll just eat as if I am. All my symptoms point to it. And Bill, I believe you are right in saying " am starting to suspect that once you stop eating wheat you lose the knack, and it has a more serious effect on you if you go back. ". This is my experience too - there is a particular 4 grain bread roll that I love but lately, after a long time off grains, I tried one and it did not agree with me AT ALL!. A most unpleasant experience
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    That's what I find. So now I avoid wheat completely.

Last time I ate wheat was in pizza in Italy around 20 months ago. It made me feel sick.

Pizza was my one occasional exception having eaten gluten free for around 5 years. I see no temptation to ever eat pizza again.
    I had a pizza the other day, during my day of temptation (tired, missed breakfast, croissant). My good friend and ultra Christian colleague ordered pizza and I had one too. Cheese, ham, spinach. Tasted terrible. I know it was no different from the other pizzas I have had from that place in the past and liked, but now I taste the rancidness of the surface it was baked on, and the heaviness of the dough. Once you are aware of it it is somehow different. I lived primarily off wheat for getting on for 30 years. A few months of restraint and there it is different. I can see the way this is going, I will end up never eating it.
    Last edited by billp; 02-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345