Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mind altering properties of wheat page 3

Dig62 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    The thing about pizza is that you're getting a huge rush of exorphins from both the wheat and dairy proteins.

No wonder it's so addicting.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    billp, you will have it way easier if you just absolutely do not eat any wheat produts at all. Go cold turkey. I haven't had any wheat products since September or October and honestly it has not been much of a struggle. I don't even want it anymore. When we have pasta, my partner has the pasta and I pour the sauce over a burger patty or a sweet potato. Leftovers go in the fridge for him, not for me.
    I think you are right. I will try it! The only scientific way is to give it up completely, at least for some weeks or months, and see what happens. My guess is accelerated weight loss (which had rather slowed down) and a loss of desire for wheat. N=1. I can always have a bit of white rice if I feel like I am craving pasta or bread. Or more sweet potatoes, which I fancy more than rice currently.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dig62 View Post
    The thing about pizza is that you're getting a huge rush of exorphins from both the wheat and dairy proteins.

No wonder it's so addicting.
    I just can't do pizza any more. It's also high in histamine, plus I'm intolerant to nightshade. I'm sure I would find crack more conducive to a quiet night in followed by a good night's sleep.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    I think the more we abstain, the more we can feel the damage it is doing to our bodies.
    This.

I haven't eaten grains in almost a year. At that time, after not having eaten grains for several months, I succumbed to a freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookie and felt ill for 24 hours afterward. Even the smell of freshly-made baked goods actually makes me feel nauseous now. I am not tempted in the least to try them again.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Any human studies?
    Yeah. Walk around your nearest mall. Plenty of evidence.

primat is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eveready View Post
    It is like being in a very bad mood where almost anything can get under your skin and lasts almost the whole day. Anyone else have this reaction?
    Exactly the same, but also when dropping out and back into ketosis from too much veggies or some fruit

Robthetrackie is offline Junior Member
    Have a read about "Wheat Belly" or listen to the on line interviews. The wheat we have been eating since the 70s is addictive, and it contains much larger amounts of a hunger producing protein.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robthetrackie View Post
    Have a read about "Wheat Belly" or listen to the on line interviews. The wheat we have been eating since the 70s is addictive, and it contains much larger amounts of a hunger producing protein.
    You know, the start of my childhood weight gain began in exactly 1985, the time when the hybrid semi-dwarf wheat became universal. Wheat free all today!

kolibriii is offline Junior Member
    So THATS why the pizza place that I lived nearby was so damn delicious at 2am!

Yes, I had terrible eating habits in college.

Anyone else get heartburn (not too severe, but uncomfortable) when they cheat and have sugar/pasta/pizza/more than a couple slices of bread/etc?

Dig62 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Makes sense about the pizza addiction, given that cheese has the highest casein content of any dairy product and they often add extra gluten to pizza dough to make it more chewy. Casomorphins aren't really news, we've been hearing about them for decades. In fact there was an interesting study done way back in 1984 implicating casomorphins in postpartum psychosis:

CSF and plasma beta-casomorphin-like opioid peptides in postpartum psychosis. - Abstract - UK PubMed Central
    Last edited by Dig62; 01-31-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast