Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mourning old ways... page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Mourning old ways...

Do y'all ever mourn the fact that you don't/can't eat like everyone else?

I really love food and cooking, and the paleo cookbooks are nice and all, but I like to look at other folks' stuff too--and sometimes, I just get angry that there are SO MANY things I have to avoid (either from choice or necessity), and I REALLY wish I could eat those things without the deleterious effects I know they have on my body.

Anyone else struggle with this from time to time?

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Not really. If anything, learning about this way of eating made my dietary choices easier. At least I now have a solid basis for WHY I always felt better on a protein and fat heavy diet. Hell, I'm a pretty good pastry maker, and my homemade cakes are the talk of my office, but I don't have any real temptation to return to eating that stuff.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I don't have a problem.
    Most of the things you are talking about (grains etc) are just carriers for flavour and sauce. A lot of people say they love rice, they love pasta but would never eat a bowl of it on its own. All the flavours are there for you and by avoiding those grains you can replace the calories you would have had from them with foot that is full of nutrition.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Yea, sometimes. So, I go ahead and have it.
    Then I realize that it doesn't taste quite as good as I remembered. Sometimes, I end up spitting it out.
    "What the hell IS this garbage?!"
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Ive grown up in the SF bay area and damn I love me some real good sourdough bread, especially lightly toasted with some butter on it. I think that is really the only wheat-based thing I am genuinely sad to not be able to have all the time anymore. I cant even have it as an occasional little treat cause ive gotten real sensitive to gluten. :/ le sigh.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Ive grown up in the SF bay area and damn I love me some real good sourdough bread, especially lightly toasted with some butter on it. I think that is really the only wheat-based thing I am genuinely sad to not be able to have all the time anymore. I cant even have it as an occasional little treat cause ive gotten real sensitive to gluten. :/ le sigh.
    I read somewhere that sourdough was the healthiest type of bread because of the fermentation process used in making it.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    This is probably where I read it.

I don’t advocate the consumption of bread, but if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one.

Paleo Charlie is offline Senior Member
    No, I don't miss that stuff.
    It's what I call "fewd", not real food. I simply say "I don't eat that", not "I don't eat that anymore". For me it's a mental switch.
    48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

Meegeek is offline Senior Member
    I just finished reading "The Paleo Answer" and was kind of bummed out on Cordain's stance on capsaiscin. Pretty much good with the rest of it, but I do like my chili. Will have a tough time with that and may cut back, won't eliminate.
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I actually feel pity for people when I see them eating the poisonous things I once considered food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast