Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Diet 2.0, Cycle 2, Paleo way... wee!!!!!!!!!!! page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Ultimate Diet 2.0, Cycle 2, Paleo way... wee!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Now
    Well, it's time for me to start my Ultimate Diet 2.0, Cycle 2 after 6 weeks of maintenance and Whole 30. I am hoping this will lead me to my ultimate goal: firm trim body, with a good upper body definition and no extra luggage on the thighs. I have my pic's after the 1st Cycle here:

and I will hopefully have something really cool to post after I am done my 8 weeks.

Here are my rules:

Eliminations:
    Grain, Legumes, Fruit, Nuts (can have in a recipe), Alcohol, Natural and Artificial Sweeteners
    Restrictions:
    Coffee – I recognize that I might need coffee to either help suppress hunger or get me going with a workout. I will try to avoid it as much as possible. I will try to avoid canned foods as much as possible, but yeah, I will be consuming some preservatives from them, like sodium benzoate.
    Supplementation:
    Multivitamin, Cod Liver Fish Oil, Creatine

Special Cases:
    Dairy: In 2 to 3 weeks, after I establish if I can use white potato successfully for carb ups, I will bring home-made quark (from home-made kefir) in for the 3 carb-up days (and, possibly skim organic milk the kefir is made of). I have never seen adverse impact from dairy, and seeing I don’t eat nuts, Ca won’t hurt.
    Grains: I will go to white rice carb ups if white potato proves less efficient. I had a great success with carbing up on plain white rice, so I know what to look for.
    Jack 3D: If I am absolutely toast, I will use Jack3D per-workout. I don’t think it will come to that, but oh, well. It has art sweetener in addition to the active compounds, it is not a great thing to ingest, but I might need it for Sundays later in the program or maybe even for Wed.
    Pop-corn: I am going to have a bit of air-popped popcorn with butter with my family on Saturday once in a while. Because, f’ck it, that’s why.

Macro-Nutrients plan:
    80 g of protein a day as a min
    Tue-Fri ~ 1100 cals with 50 g of carb or below, under 40% fat
    Sat: 3000-3500 cals, 600 g carbs, under 10% fat
    Sun: 1500-1800 cals, 200 g carbs, under 15% fat
    Mon: 1300 cals, 100 g carbs, under 20% fat

Workout Plan:
    Min of 30 min walk a day, 20 min stretch (at least 5 days a week!)
    Tue, Wed: UD Depletion with under 30 min SS cardio
    Th: Wlk+ Swim (attempt a few sprint lengths)
    Fri: Wlk or Skate + Zumba
    Sat: UD Intensity
    Sunday: UD Power

Starting Stats:
    My height is 5’6 and ”; I measure BF on a WW scale, so it is NOT the real number
    Weight: 116.8 lbs, 15.9% BF
    Body: N:13.5”, LB: 10.5”, Ch: 32”, W: 25.5”, H: 35.25”, TH: 34.25”

Week 1
    January 29: +, Madcow Lifting + family walking, no calorie count
    Last edited by Leida; 01-30-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Ah, the memories come flooding back. Looks like the Whole 30 went well for you! Enjoy the second cycle. UD2 is definitely an experience I'll never forget. And I do miss eating 5 pies in a day, haha. Good luck!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

(Hugs) Thank you! And yep, the whole meat-eggs-potatoes and then WHole 30 really worked wonders for me. I am sugar-free for 6 weeks. I can't believe it.

That's awesome! I knew you could do it, Leida! Tomorrow is my last day on the Whole 30 and I'm up a considerable bit of weight, haha. I'm going to have to cut just to get rid of the excess fat put on by doing a Whole 30. How hilarious is that?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Oh, maybe then it's like good old times, another spin on the UD2.0 together? That would be AWESOME! For those, you know, black days to come, heh. And fun days!

I think I'm done with UD2 for awhile. I'm going to do a more TKD/Leangains-style cut to recover from my Whole 30, which made me fat. Un-frickin-believable. But this time I'm going to do it the way I've always wanted. I know a lot more now than I did when I began carb-cycling 6 months ago, so I have a better feeling about this than even the UD2. The UD2 made me lose control too much on weekends and it would kill me, along with the super long hours in the gym. This schedule takes half the amount of time in the gym, there are no more depletions and all my workouts are fun. The UD2 is just too hardcore for me to sustain, but more power to you definitely. I can definitely mirror you with my TKD progress, though!

That would be great, we could compare notes - and you know me, I am a sucker for new approaches. I was not getting anywhere on LG, what's TKD? That's weird that Whole 30 set you back. It was very stable for me, but I added no coffee, nuts and fruit in addition to what they had, and used white potatoes instead of sweet. I did not count calories.

Good day overall today, but tomorrow the real grind starts with the first depletion day/workout. Heh. Made an interesting salad today: grated carrots, young shredded coconut and a bit of coconut milk (was craving dairy). Actually very yum.

Week 1

January 29: +, Madcow Lifting + family walking, no calorie count
    January 30: +, 14 hrs fast, 1280 cal, 67 carb, 140 prot; ~2 hrs walking, stretch

A TKD is a Targeted Ketogenic Diet. That is what Leangains essentially is - a TKD. A TKD allows carbs in your pre-workout meal and post-workout meal only (hence Targeted). All other meals are low-carb. The Leangains approach just doesn't focus on achieving ketosis. Since I only eat two meals a day and I work out between meals, essentially three days a week are high carb/low fat and four days a week are high fat/low carb. Since I am currently lifting Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday (I may shift to Monday/Thursday/Saturday for scheduling reasons), that means I never go more than two days without a refeed and I never go more than a day without indulging in fat. This is MUCH easier than the CKD-approach - the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet - which the UD2 is and how I've done carb refeeds in the past. The CKD approach makes you go through constant cycles of deprivation, and I always crave what I can't have. When it's a refeed, I want a ribeye and eggs. When I'm on low-carb, I want sweet potatoes. It's brutal. This is proving to completely eliminate it because no matter what I crave, I can have it either today or tomorrow, and waiting a day is no big deal at all.

If Leangains didn't work for you, I'm curious why. Perhaps you counted your maintenance calories too high? Or too low? Or maybe you did the standard -20/+20 recomp. I'm not wasting my time. I'm doing -30/0. I'm assuming 2,100 calories maintenance (which is low-end), and I'm doing 1500 on off days and 2100 on on-days. I want to stay within 100 under or 50 over those goals. That is a very simple, stable caloric cycle and I feel less deprived than ever, so I have high hopes. I started yesterday and I already dumped 3 pounds of water weight and can kinda see my stomach muscles again. Tomorrow (well, officially today!) is my last day of this stupid Whole 30 and I can't wait til this is over.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-30-2012 at 09:18 PM.

I think Leangains did not work for me because I was not strict with macros since the rules were too wishy-washy for me to get iron-clad counts I need to adhere (I do better on meeting targets, I think). I also did try the -20/+20, and the weekends were a real problem. Assuming Maintenance at 1600, I was thinking 1300/1900 split, but then came the weekends, and I always have trouble eating under 1800 cals on the weekend, so yeah, it was Okay on the day I trained, but I ate more on the day I did not. UD allows me to not try to limit calories on both Saturday and Sunday.

I am very curious to see how you will set up your ratios and limits, as eventually after the UD, if I can't just follow my instincts like I did recently, I do need a long-term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I also did try the -20/+20, and the weekends were a real problem. Assuming Maintenance at 1600, I was thinking 1300/1900 split, but then came the weekends, and I always have trouble eating under 1800 cals on the weekend, so yeah, it was Okay on the day I trained, but I ate more on the day I did not. UD allows me to not try to limit calories on both Saturday and Sunday.

I am very curious to see how you will set up your ratios and limits, as eventually after the UD, if I can't just follow my instincts like I did recently, I do need a long-term plan.
    That's the problem. I tried doing that -20/+20 BS initially, too. Recomp is effective if I wanted to cut from 12% body fat to 9% body fat in a year. Recomp is like 1 pound of fat lost in a month, which is barely noticeable. I'm doing a full-on cut. Not only am I taking the absolute low end of maintenance calories, but I'm doing a -30/0. I will never be at a surplus. I'm expecting 1 pound of fat loss a WEEK on this regimen with a refeed nearly every other day, making this as effortless as possible. I'm absolutely in love with my new workout routine, and now that I know exactly what to do I'm expecting better results than the UD2 with half the gym time, more overall food, no low-calorie depleted and incredible sustainability.

But time will tell. If it is successful, I will write a really detailed summary with some kind of obnoxious title like "How To Get Ripped."

BTW, if your assumed maintenance is 1600, your split would be more like 1100/1600 on a real cut. That's probably why it didn't appear to work - it was, but it was so slow you wouldn't see it in the mirror. You'd have to take pictures on a monthly basis instead of a weekly basis. A 12 week cut - I can do that...but a 12 month cut? Brutal.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-31-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast