Thread: HRM and Calorie Burn page

mmapags is offline Member

HRM and Calorie Burn

Primal Fuel
    Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie and really enjoying the start down the primal path. I've got an exercise question that I'm hoping for some input. First a couple of vitals. I'm 5'9", 200 lbs and about 20% body fat. I recently started using a Heart Rate Monitor. At first it was just to measure heart rate while doing sprinting or the high intensity cardio intrevals I'm doing. (trying to change my mindset and terminology). But I've started using the other functions, particularly the date summary at the end that give all the usual high hr, low hr, avg hr, tiem in zone and calories. here where my question comes in.

Both Saturday and this morning I used the HRM. Saturday I did a 5 mile hike on a fairly challenging course. It had elevation changes of 170 feet. Lot's of up and down. It took 1 hour 26 minutes and for the most part my HR was between 105 and 120 with occaisional spikes as high as 133 when pumping out a hill. At the end it said I had burned 857 calories!

This morning, I did 6 minute treadmill light jog warmup, then 2 sets each of woodchopper, vertical leg lifts, pushups, burpees, leapfrogs, 40 pound dumbell presses, 35 pound dumbell curls, assisted dips, assisted pullups, hanging knee to chest and lat pull downs and ended with 6 minute light jog on the treadmill. It took 56 minutes end to end and the HRM said 904 calories.

Can this be right?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Are you using a chest strap monitor or just a wrist model?

Chest strap.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Those are pretty accurate. It's very possible (confirmed by your HRM ) you burned more during your workout. You are doing quite a bit in that workout and your heart-rate would definitely be pretty high depending on the pace/intensity. Did you happen to see your max HR on your workout?

Yes, the peak was 202. That's red zone for me at age 60 but, while I was breathing pretty heavily, I was never lightheaded or faint. I was working pretty intensly on the plyo. Particularly the burpees and leapfrogs ( I think that's what they are called. You set up in a squat and basically broad jump. Land and repeat for about 10 reps or so).

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Not to be a downer but when HRM's calculate your calories burned, it's figuring in what you would've burned on it's own. That's why you input your age weight and height.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So If I'm understanding you, you're saying back out 1 hour of my BMR. That'd be about 90 calories. I don't feel like you are being a downer. I'm not looking for validation. I'm looking for accuracy and I'm having trouble believing that high a calorie burn is accurate. On another note, Sometimes I've noticed during at the end of a high intensity set, I get some funny number bouncing around for a few seconds and then it seems to settle at what seems reasonable. For example, at the end of a set of burpees, I'll look at the monitor and I'll see a number like 204 or 196 then it fairly quiclky settles at 165 and starts working down as I recover. I got that 204 number from the summary as my high but, after thinking about it, that doesn't really seem accurate. This only seems to happen with peak intensity activities.

Going back to your comment, if I understand it, I think my actualy would be considerable less than 900 by 20 to 30% but I have no real way of knowing. That's why I'm looking for input from those esteemd here with more experience with this kind of thing.