Thread: Shortened Achilles Tendon help page

Kunko is offline Member

Shortened Achilles Tendon help

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if anyone knows who I would see about a shortened Achilles tendon. I used to be an avid high heel wearer and didn't bother doing stretches when I took them off. So at this point in my life I have a really hard time running in flat shoes because it causes me great discomfort.

So here is the question: Is there anyone I can see about starting to correct this unfortunate thing? Can it be reversed? Or should I just find a different way to do my quick bursts of exercise?

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    I had a similar trouble when I went to vibrams. After years of traditional running shoes my tendons were too tight. I have worked on stretching them to make it better and it's working. Make sure you stretch them regularly till you are comfortable.

Simon is offline Senior Member
    +1
    Took me a few months to transition properly from traditional running shoes to bf. Experienced quite major stretching over that period. Give it time and stretch gently and frequently would be my advice.

Busphan is online now Junior Member
    Transitioning to bf or minimalist running is a slow process. Or rather, should be taken slowly. Your achilles and calf will lengthen with time. I would suggest only going 1/8th to 1/4th of a mile at a time, in the beginning. Also, allow your heel to kiss the ground. This will take some of the stress off of your Achilles and calf momentarily, which should result in less soreness. I would also suggest checking out the barefoot runners society or barefoot ken Bob's site for more in-depth info.