Thread: Primal Poop page

lennycohen is offline Junior Member

Primal Poop

Primal Fuel
    By way of background, I started Primal for it's anti-inflammatory effect on the body, and have eliminated both grains and dairy completely.

I suffer from cluster headaches, which currently require me to take some heavy duty drugs for control, right now I'm in the middle of a massive steriod taper, eating lithium and verapamil as well.

My problem, aside from the headache and drugs, is constipation. It's a side effect of the verapamil, and I could really use a good poop. I have cramps on a daily basis. My diet has an excellent mix of fruits as well as veggies - I'm not tracking my absolute carb intake.

Is there a Primal laxative?

Thanks for your help in advance

Lenny

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the exact same boat. Started this month and haven't had a natural, self-propelled excretion yet.

I did drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and let it do its thing at one point, and have been taking a probiotic pill every day, but so far it's just been the one magnesium citrate poop in like 2 weeks. I am still losing weight, though, so I'm not too worried. I suspect my body is just sucking up every tiny bit of nutrients it can get its hands on since it's finally able to stop freaking out from the grain intake and focus on actually nourishing itself.

Obviously I can't offer much hope for the future since I'm right where you are, but I have a feeling it will eventually resolve itself. Just keep eating pre/probiotics and maybe guzzle down some magnesium citrate if it's really becoming super uncomfortable. It basically works by pulling a ton of moisture into the bowel (it is a salt) for a flushing-out effect. Works within like 6 hours. Just make sure to drink lots of water with it.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Primal laxative :

Magnesium Citrate supplement (NOT the liquid laxative).
    Bone Broth, lots.
    Cucumbers
    Enzyme supplement, with every meal
    Ox-bile! <-- very efective
    Coconut Oil

Hint:
    Excess calcium (dairy) puts the colon asleep. Take Mag Citrate to balance ratio.
    If you suffer from partial elimination (prairie dogging) use a Glycerine Suppository to tickle your rectal nerv and eliminate completely. Just don't miss the signals! Don't use this as a laxative.

Edit: Magnesium/Bone Stock/Enzymes/Ox-bile/Coconut Oil together for 3-4 continues days will give you full blown gushing, waterfall dumping diarrhea.
    Last edited by Issabeau; 01-30-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Ugh, I feel for you man. I have IBS that usually presents as constipation, with the attendant painful and difficult movements when they do decide to move. Going Primal has mostly eliminated my symptoms (I now only have problems if I am deprived of sleep or eat badly for several days in a row), but it took about 6 months before it really all started "working" properly most of the time. Unfortunately healing the gut can take a long time.

Coconut oil and coffee both help get me moving when I am having troubles. I haven't found anything else as effective for me, but I certainly haven't tried everything. Have to second the recommendations for upping your magnesium intake as well. Above all, these things take time, which I know isn't very comforting when you're in a shitty situation, pardon the pun.

Maybe eating right will help reduce or eliminate your headache troubles eventually as well, and you can taper off your meds. We can only hope.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Magnesium/Bone Stock/Enzymes/Ox-bile/Coconut Oil together for 3-4 continues days will give you full blown gushing, waterfall dumping diarrhea.
    That might be nice. I shouldn't admit to it, but I often tend to eat food that is on the edge of going bad because, you know, if it ends up giving me the shits it would actually be a pleasant change of pace.

Can I ask what's wrong with liquid magnesium citrate?

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    That might be nice. I shouldn't admit to it, but I often tend to eat food that is on the edge of going bad because, you know, if it ends up giving me the shits it would actually be a pleasant change of pace.

Can I ask what's wrong with liquid magnesium citrate?
    ok, now that's funny.

Primal laxative :

Bone Broth, lots.
    Cucumbers
    Coconut Oil

Hint:
    Excess calcium (dairy) puts the colon asleep. Take Mag Citrate to balance ratio.
    If you suffer from partial elimination (prairie dogging) use a Glycerine Suppository to tickle your rectal nerv and eliminate completely. Just don't miss the signals! Don't use this as a laxative.

Edit: Magnesium/Bone Stock/Enzymes/Ox-bile/Coconut Oil together for 3-4 continues days will give you full blown gushing, waterfall dumping diarrhea.
    enzyme supplement? as in probiotics, or like bromelain/papain
    Ox-Bile? supplement? Pill? food?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal laxative :

Bone Broth, lots.
    Cucumbers
    Coconut Oil

Hint:

Magnesium makes sense because I get waterfall diarrhea from overloading on nuts.

You have given me ideas for my grand master plan now....

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I had the constipation problem at first as well, as did my kids. Not quite a month in and I think I'm getting the hang of things. Here's what I've learned I need:
    1. water... lots.
    2. fat... lots. Coconut oil helps beautifully.
    3. movement- exercise helps

I also use an essential oil blend called DigestZen (from doTERRA) that is magical for any bowel issue at all. Magical I tell you.

That said, I have found I poop less since going primal- less useless roughage passing through, more nutrient absorption happening.
    Hopefully you can get things evening out soon. Good luck with the pooping!