Thread: Transient lactose intolerance? page

damnit is offline Junior Member

Transient lactose intolerance?

Shop Now
    So I couldn't find a definitive answer to this is past threads or online. The closest I can find it instances where lactose sensitivity has come up after starting a primal oriented diet.

I've been primal for a month now but the main thing is I refused to give up dairy and haven't really had a problem with it until now.

This afternoon I mixed myself a whey protein shake with milk prior to training. I also ate a plum with it. Prior to this I hadn't eaten for ~6 hours so on a relatively empley stomach. Half an hour later and about 5 minutes into the warmup I had to excuse myself to evacuate some lovely diarrhoea. After being cleaned out I felt fine and continued the workout.

Now the thing is I normally have this exact type of protein (it's WPI so more concentrated) with the exact type and amount of milk without issues, both before and after primalising.

It's only happened once so I'm not sure if 30 day elimination is appropriate although always worth a try. I think I'm going to try the same thing in a few days and see what happens.

Wafaa is offline Member
    I have I guess a transient lactose intolerance. In the sense that it comes and goes.

Some days, I can have a cappuccino or a latte just fine. Or my milk with tea.

But other days, my roughly 2 Tbs of milk with tea in the morning are enough give me an awful cramping stomach ache. The worst offenders are any type of ultra pasteurized or pasteurized at an excessively high temperature milk. Forget any powdered stuff. Those things are a extreme stomach pain sentence for me.
    Today's a really bad day. Enough to make me give serious thought to just giving up milk, and substituting with coconut or cream.

When you go primal] I have noticed, at least from personal experience, certain things that you used to be able to tolerate (or at least not notice the ill effects of), suddenly become too much for your now sensitized in tune body.

One thing is not transient, and that is there is a limit to how much lactose I can tolerate. Even with the best me-friendly milk, if I have too much (i.e. more than a cup total), I get stomach pain.
    My art blog.