Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturated v unsaturated page

runner_79 is offline Senior Member

Saturated v unsaturated

Shop Now
    If we are looking to burn bodyfat in a caloric deficit, while carb restricted, is it best to use olive oil or coconut oil on veggies to burn fat?
    Many people say the MCTs in coconut oil don't allow for longer chain fatty acids to be burnt...whereas using evoo does...

Need serious guidance.

Should I be doing:
    Ultra Lean protein+veggies(green and colorful) and EVCO
    Or
    Ultra Lean protein+veggies(green and colorful) and EVOO???

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fat burning fat is a second order effect. Don't base your weightloss strategy on it. You are, afterall, trying to burn a saturate fat - palmitic acid.

Mix it up. Fatty protein, especially on the bone, has some benefits over your alternatives. Don't overthink it. Don't be overly restrictive. Variety is fun.

Don't go very low carb either. Most feel best around 100g per day. Down to 50g if you're trying to lose weight
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Well today:
    Brekky: 250gturkey breast and broccoli/green beans (Heinz steam fresh bags)
    Lunch:180g massive chicken salad, olive oil,wholegrain mustard and apple cider vinegar
    Dinner: 200g chicken and broccoli, tbsp olive oil, 3 oz almonds and 2 scoop whey isolate frozen pudding (whey mixed with water and frozen) with 2 tablespoon coconut oil.

gcbcb is offline Member
    I would suggest replacing very lean poultry + fat with cuts of fatty red meat. You can still take some coconut oil if you like, or use it with veggies.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Fat does store very well and I wouldn't suggest going out of my way to eat more fat. It does sound to me though like you could use some more variety. I'd suggest leaner cuts of red meat, I'd also suggest maybe having more fish.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You are getting this all wrong, runner_79. You don't want to go low carb low fat. You'll go crazy. You need to go low carb HIGH fat. Really high. 50% or more fat. And make largely saturated animal fat. Put butter on those steamed veggies. Eat the skin on your chicken. Better yet, eat a steak with a thick layer of fat and eat the fat. You do this for a while to get your body used to using fat for fuel. Then you cut back on the fat so that your body has to go looking elsewhere for fat. It'll find it in your own body fat. Right now it doesn't know how to use your own body fat because it's used to using carbohydrate for energy. This changeover process can be rough, so take magnesium and potassium and drink lots of bone soup or put lots of salt on your food and maybe even take a break in the cardio exercise until you're changed over. Once you break through to the other side, you will have steady energy all the time whether you eat or not. You won't get hungry as much. But if you are a runner, you'll need to up your carbs a little bit and not stay very low carb. You'll have to find your own personal level of carb that fuels your running but doesn't cause you to lose that fat burning advantage. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

I do eat meats and fish. That was just yesterday.
    Thought we had to limit o6's hence we add to lean meals...
    I can ONLY buy conventional.live away from home studying full time and working full time
    So more eggs? 5ft 10, 180lbs....(stomach and leg fat-guy) estrogen?
    Thanks guys

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If you're running a lot, I'd say not to go too far into the low carb arena too. Berries and sweet potatoes are great primal carbs and staples of my diet.

I'm not anymore. Few life changes.
    Goal is fight club ripped. Sorry for the cliche...
    Low carb is my best avenue. Smart post w/o.
    Is just this fat topic gets me lost
    We wanna burn long fats stored, so should be eat MCTs?or EVOO?
    But yeah help?

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    I'm not anymore. Few life changes.
    Goal is fight club ripped. Sorry for the cliche...
    Mine too.

I keep EV olive oil just for salads and low cooking, say a light saute of some sampfire and steaming of kale, and to dress some poached salmon, as I did tonight.

For most high heat cooking, I'm not bothering with coconut oil, because it is expensive. Very.

Great blocks of lard and beef dripping (tallow) on the other hand, are ridiculously cheap, loaded with nutrients and have a serious quality fat ratio of sat/mono/poly. This is what you want to cook your meat with.

If you're worried about Ω6s, stick to ruminant meat which has a more favourable 3/6 ratio. Grass-fed is even better.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast