Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

MamaGrok overcoming sugar addiction & BED

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Overcoming sugar addiction & BED (ed 2013)

Some background: I'm a 34yo homeschooling mother of five, a retired electrical engineer, & a former really fit lowfat cardio head. My children are 11, 8, 5, almost 3, 2mo, and I am no longer fit. (Nothing to do with the kiddos!

I grew up eating pretty SAD, went to college and went all lowfat & heavily grain diet. !! (Typical day: Froot Loops in skim, bagel, chickfila, sweet yogurt, Healthy Choice frozen meal) I had absolutely no idea that things happening with my body were connected to what I eat, and thought that changing what you ate was for one purpose only: weight control. Exercised hi-intensity cardio 4hr/wk, weights 1hr/wk throughout college and for the next three babies.

Got married, had baby, went all whole grains. Still tons of sugar & grains. TONS. Stayed thin by skipping meals after bingeing. Had lots of antibiotics for various things over a few years, and TONS right after baby #3. Sugar addiction out of control, starting gaining weight. Low: 115.5. 144 by baby #4 conception.

Quit exercising b/c I was so fatigued all the time I just didn't want to move. Went Weston Price at baby #4 birth. Raw milk, no more processed food at all. Saw great changes in family's health. Kept gaining weight b/c while they ate healthy, I was still a sugar addict. Dropped grains altogether & upped natural fats, kicked sugar for 6 months. Went on vacation with extended family, succombed to addiction again.

Did Radiant Recovery and beat sugar addiction by adding a full serving of protein to my breakfast and moving all sweets to meals. Almost entirely sugar free at time of baby #5 conception, also 163lbs! EEK!! Gained less baby weight than ever (35lb instead of 40-50), beat my previous labor record by 30 hours (the 2hr labor was the shortest since my 32hr first baby), and I really think it was eating real, whole food w/ no sugar that did it.

Had baby, weighed 185 lbs. Didn't gain, didn't lose. Two months later, I'm just stuck. AT 185 POUNDS. I'm eating all real food, lots of protein, lots of fat, and no more than 2svg/day of grains (whole wheat sourdough bread, soaked steel-cut oatmeal), no overt or covert real or artificial sweeteners. No exercise other than taking care of my house, toting a 30lb toddler, and a weekly 1mi walk, though. Nearly all our food is bought from local, pasturing farmers, with the balance from Trader Joe's.

My plan is to get into PB this next 30 days, ramping up to full exercise, and diving right into the food, which is almost what we're doing, anyway. I want to go grain-free & non-berry-fruit-free for the next 30 days, ramp up to more veggie eating, and start today with 5m of "move slow" (on top of my household stuff) & 5m of "lift heavy stuff." (One minute more of each, each day this month.) I really welcome thoughts & encouragement!! I've done other fora on weight loss, but I really need one where I see eye-to-eye on the food & exercise philosophies - this is it!

Edited 3/22/2012 - I don't know what happened to the formatting of this post, or why the rest of the posts on this page suddenly have a title of "1". I just had to go through here and add spaces and returns again b/c it was all crammed in together!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-02-2013 at 07:27 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

***6/18/2011 update*** This is a good place to make my handy list of health improvements from eating real food - ones that I never expected.

Timeline -
    2006 or 2007 - removed artificial colors, flavors, & preservatives
    3/07 - skim to whole. removed cereal from breakfast, snacks, and lunch! went more and more Traditional Foods / Weston Price inspired eating
    12/07 - added fermented cod liver oil.
    12/26/07 - eliminated grains & sugar. Totally TF by this time, including broths & ferments whenever I remember.
    3/08 - bout with sugar here and there
    7/08 - 11/08 - increasing bouts with sugar
    11/08 - started Radiant Recovery for sugar addiction
    3/09 - detoxed from sugar except for very rare occasions, having sourdough whole wheat here and there.
    2/10 - went primal, also removed potatoes & corn. Started losing weight. Occasional sugar bouts rare. Started barefooting it most of the time.
    9/10 - began 8 months of GAPS TF gut-healing diet
    2010 - started vitamin D, more frequent Mg, HCL supplementation
    4/11 - began two months of weekend sugar binges, gained 10lb.
    6/11 - began Leptin Reset
    10/31/11 - LAST BINGE
    12/11 - 100% eliminated gluten & dairy, sort of began CT
    2/12 - began CT in earnest, began low dose natural ThyroGold
    9/12 - began Naturethroid, struggling with cravings

- smoother skin on backs of arms and tops & sides of legs. This used to be serious chicken skin (keratosis pilaris - vit A deficiency) and improved dramatically around the time we started fCLO.
    - smooth knees & elbows almost all the time. These used to be like sandpaper. fCLO
    - I think I rarely itch anymore, unless I go off diet. No more random back, arm, head, ear, nose itches.
    - Attack hiccups almost never occur anymore.
    - gas eliminated when I stopped consuming unsoaked oats. Used to be chronic & mortifying
    - gained at least 4 half steps on my vocal range and began to be able to sing in my head voice without headrush or breathiness for the first time in my life. Developed a sudden confusion as to whether I was really an alto or a soprano as I now have a three octave range and some repressed bitterness, lol, about the lost years where I loved to sing, but never had a useful instrument. The tone improved amazingly at this point, about three months after I removed grains & sugar from my diet on 12/26/07. I realized that the top part of my nasal passages have been clogged for decades, if not all my life, and I never knew it.
    - began to be able to breathe through my nose while sleeping for the first time I can ever remember. Same time, around 3/08. I can feel it clog up again after long periods of commercial food (don't know whether it's grains, processed oils, or sugar, but suspect oils), or just a short period when I'm pregnant
    - b/c of the previous, stopped having cracked and sometimes bleeding lips & mouth corners from extreme overnight dryness
    - end to recently acquired sleep apnea (waking up gasping for breath after not breathing for IDK how long)
    - occasional bad breath gone when I stopped sugar, I think the 3/09 time?
    - nasty morning breath gone unless the cake returns
    - started getting moons on my fingernails (other than thumbs) 5/11, after several months of intense HCl & mild B12 supplementation.
    - the pimples I didn't start getting till I was 20 (around when the sugar addictxion started) only show up in times where something is clearly going on (very rare - don't yet know whether it's stress or being off on food that creates it, or both).
    - not thinking about food 24/7, can easily forget to snack and can occasionally forget to eat!
    - not me, but on the day we switched from skim to whole milk & removed boxed cereal from our diets, my 8, 5, & 2 year olds' cavities stopped dead in their tracks (even four abscesses froze in time, no more pain, no spreading, nothing) and none have gotten a single cavity since. Not one.
    - heartburn seems to return only on consumption of seriously processed oils
    - from 1/09 to 3/11, got my triglycerides under 100 and my HDL nearly doubled (IIRC).
    - I think I stopped popping my fingers at some point. The reason I'm not sure is that I noticed myself doing it in April (after bad diet crept in) and have been doing it ever since, and noticing it. I don't think I noticed myself doing it for several years.
    - brain fog, fatigue, bloating, several related problems have been heavy since about 6/06. I've recently seen several windows where these lifted, and the windows are coming a little closer together and lasting a little longer each time. These windows have also included waking up feeling well and alert for the first time since I can remember.
    - much less susceptible to sunburn 6/11. Vit D? Less sugar? PUFA -> sat fats?
    - almost no mosquito bites as of summer of 2010. Three of us used to get upwards of 20 per leg each time we went out on summer evenings.
    - no longer getting poison ivy, even when intentionally rubbing my leg against a leaf, then a root, then a thick vine. Whoa!
    - rarely catch what's going around, and when I do, it's like a pony version of the same thing, and it never goes through all seven of us, rarely more than two.
    - heart rate & BP went up with sugar addiction; it's back down to 58 & 90/60.
    - sugar binges brought palpitations, dizziness, chest pain, _____. All gone.
    - night sweats brought on by either sugar or processed oils (thought it was the former; now I think the latter) gone.
    - no more months-long battle with bronchitis every winter.
    - little toe no longer crammed sideways (as it was even while barefoot).
    - need to verify this with a second trial, but the first time I wore Merrell barefoot shoes hiking on a mountain was also the first time in 15 years that I didn't have hobbling knee pain on the way down the mountain.
    - after five years of gaining weight, even while eating no sugar and a completely traditional foods diet, the day I stopped eating one serving of soaked/sprouted/soured grains per day, I started losing weight, and continued for the next year till 40lb were gone.
    - soon will be able to cross legs easily again
    - pimples were rare, but now they're gone
    - I think I'm cracking my knuckles a lot less
    - less TP. All problems in this area totally gone, even though I was known in my house as the worst in that department.
    - during my most primal times, even brussels sprouts taste sweet to me. I have a real palate for real food now.
    - most grain products taste like so much paste now. Most anything with HFCS or most other sweeteners taste like so much syrupy nastiness now. I used to think these foods were the pinnacle of delicious.
    - can camp for days w/o showering, tooth brushing, etc., and ... NO FUNK AT ALL!!
    - getting my chest cold (or lungs full of cold air) doesn't make me cough anymore
    - have stopped needing frequent chapstick in the winter
    - fragrances smell like chemicals and foods with vegetable oils smell stale to me now - much easier to "Avoid poisonous things"!
    - never once had to get up to pee while pregnant (unlike the other four times)
    - At 18 months, my baby isn't yet showing the tooth decay that affected the other four (each worse than the previous) as my nutrient-depleted body tried to make good milk, but couldn't. This baby, OTOH, is getting the good stuff after two good years of me working hard on restoring my nutrient stores.
    - broke my previous labor record of 32hrs by 30 hours.

I thought I could start by listing my most recent food days (where I did what I thought was right, but wasn't losing), and then today's food.

All meat, milk, eggs, & most cheese are from local, pastured farms. Milk & most cheese is raw. All dairy is whole. All oils are unrefined. Nearly all food is organic. Nearly all food is homemade from scratch.

PB-3 Days...

B - 3 eggs cooked in 1T coconut oil, 6oz milk, 1/4C black beans

L - 3oz turkey, 1oz cheese, 1oz chevre, 1/2C oatmeal, 1/2 apple

S - 1C yogurt with two packets of emergen-C (yes, it has fructose)

D - Pork chop, butternut squash bisque, salad

PB-2 Days...

B - 3 eggs, 1T coconut oil, 6oz milk, butternut bisque

L - 3oz cheese, "farmer's cheese" (soured raw milk drained of the whey), 2TB peanut butter + 1T 100% fruit raspberry jam, 1/2 slice of cinnamon-raisin Ezekiel bread

S - 1C Greek yogurt, 2 pkts Em-C, 1/3C oatmeal

D - grillades & grits (Cajun round steak dish w/ tomatoes & onions), salad. Butter in grits.

PB-1 Day...

B - 3 eggs, 1T CO, 2oz chevre, 1/2C oatmeal w/ berries (when I say 1/2C, I mean 1/2C prepared, not 1/2C before it's cooked)

L - broth from Grillades leftovers, leftover egg, date-orange stilton (from TJ's), bell pepper, 2oz turkey

S - 1C yogurt, tiny bit of Em-C, 1T butter just for kicks

D - Steak (from the ham) w/ mustard-maple marinade (very little maple), salad, bell pepper, mashed potatoes (sour cream, butter, milk)

TODAY - PB Day 1 !

B - 3 eggs, 1T CO, 2oz raw colby
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Chelc is offline Junior Member

I used to drink emergen-c all the time, then when switched to primal thought I would have to give up because of sugar content. But I was excited to find the Emergen-c Lite. It only has 1 gram of sugar for the whole packet and trust me.....it is NOT sweet at all. Lemon lime flavor. So I drink at least 2 of these a day and they cause no cravings.

Welcome to the group! Now if we can just get you to give up those oats. All in good time...go at whatever pace works best for you.

me
    - Easy 2 hour birth that I strongly suspect would have lasted less than 30 minutes if I hadn't gotten out of bed and gone to the hospital. 12/09
    - skin like satin after eliminating dairy & gluten 100%
    -"benign" heart arrhythmia (was it PAC?) gone when I kicked sugar
    - on LR, heels stopped cracking so much
    - after sugar/wheat binge, many tiny cheek mucosa bubbles re-appeared after long absence, as did earring irritation
    - my poop don't stink.
    - eyelashes much lusher (b/c I hardly use mascara anymore?)
    - much more tolerant of heat, cold, and sun. 95 degrees doesn't really bother me anymore, and I can be happy shoeless at 35F.
    - when I've crossed the threshold of my personal tolerance for the sun, I feel compelled to seek shade for whatever body part is on the verge of overexposure. It either comes as a physical feeling of the sun suddenly being very intense or as constant thoughts of shading my arm/neck/whatever. Started after I gave up sunscreen, *I think*
    - AF cut by 4 days and was worlds lighter. Don't know whether this is general improved health or the switch to cloth. UPDATE cut by another 1-2 days, starts suddenly, when I wake up the day after the full moon, and ends suddenly. No drug out days of very light stuff.
    - no longer lose voice when I get a cold (and almost never get colds and they go away quickly and never get too bad)
    - fingernails stopped splitting at some point early on, but started again a few weeks ago ... sugar binge ... hmmmm...
    - mysterious bumps I've had for 10-20 years seem to be shrinking since 1/11. Cysts?
    - the end of BED & sugar addiction
    -

Hoping for: ankle pops, needing less sleep, eye circles

DH
    - seasonal allergies gone, some time in the year where we went TF and also got rid of personal care and household chemicals.
    - eczema much reduced, limited only to winter, when indoor humidity gets below 40%, for the last few years. Suspected in 2011 that it responded to vit D supp. 2012 UPDATE: eczema completely gone, even in winter.
    - No longer gets headaches when a meal is late or skipped.
    - Never needs to snack unless grains or sweets are eaten.
    - Lost 10-15lb of stomach bloating when wheat was virtually eliminated
    - seasonal allergies gone

Kids
    - nosebleeds (GAPS)
    - evening meltdowns (protein for breakfast)
    - borderline ODD (GAPS)
    - no cavities since ditching cereal and changing to whole milk four years ago. Previously absolutely CAVITY-RIDDEN
    - myopia stopped progressing in 9 & 12 year old (GAPS)
    - no more ear wax unless a short return to wheat
    - no more wetting accidents since wheat gone. Wheat always brings a return to accidents.
    - constant verbal and physical tics all but gone (return with any SAD eating)

So yesterday went:

B - 3 eggs, 1T CO, 2oz raw colby

L - pate, salame, butter (very balanced, lol - was nursing baby the whole time and couldn't get up to go seek other stuff)

S - 1C Greek yogurt, ~ 1/4C crispy pecans (soaked & dried, Nourishing Traditions style)

S - toasted blanched almonds (dinner was late)

D - roast chicken, butternut squash bisque (trying to use up the puree I have in my freezer!), salad w/ carrots, artichoke, olives, & red bell pepper; dressing = EVOO + leftover raita

Went for a 2mi walk (29 degrees, yay!) w/ DH on his suggestion. I was so grateful for the suggestion, b/c babe hadn't let me put her down to get 5m "moving" in all day. Did 10+9+8+7, etc., pushups on knees. Can't believe I have to do them on my knees now. Ugh. Will do real pushups again someday.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-09-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Hi, Chelc, thanks so much for your comments! I don't know how I missed them earlier. I'm working on figuring out how much camu-camu powder is equivalent to the more processed C in Em-C. I'd much rather have the whole food source, and definitely can't forgo C; it's a major part of my natural healing regimen.

The oats are no biggie; Radiant Recovery pushes a serving of complex carbs w/ each meal, but a bunch of grains, and especially grains not properly prepared, do me no favors. I was having hardly any at all and it's no loss to me to lose it altogether.

I'm amazed at how deflated I feel after just one day without grains & fruit. And I mean physically deflated, around the gut, in a good way. I know that non-soaked/sprouted/soured grains & excess grains make me horribly bloated, and haven't felt *that* way in a long, long time, but this feeling I have had since last night is even more wonderful than that.

Haven't had 5m to move yet today, am hoping to between 5-6.

hippie_mama is offline Member

Welcome!

I'm one week in, and also homeschool my three kids (ages 8, 6, and 4)! Just had to shout that one out; it's always nice to see like-minded people

So like-minded that I was disappointed to see my desired username had already been taken ... by you!

Today was Primal Ash Wednesday.

B - 2 eggs, 1T CO

L - salad (romaine, kalamata olives, artichoke, carrot, EVOO, raita), 1 can (2oz) TJ's smoked salmon w/ mayo (cold-pressed canola, organic eggs, etc., but jarred; hope to make my own again soon)

D - bean enchiladas (salsa, onion, bell & jalapeno peppers, cheese & more cheese, (from dried) black beans, tomatoes; salad (romaine, spinach, ~crispy edamame, walnuts, dried berries (I assume they have some sugar), carrots). ~1/3C fresh blueberries. (was huntin' for food till I had these) Actually, I guess those weren't really enchiladas, since I just had the filling and served the family theirs in corn tortillas.

I've noticed the last few days that w/o the grains & fruit products, I don't eat as much, even as very little grains as I was having. I had my enchilada filling w/o rice; the rest had brown rice mixed in. I had one bite of theirs and started wanting more and more. So weird.

Went to TJ's today and got a bunch of nuts for crispy-fying & things that I really like on salad. I know I don't eat enough veggies and the way to up that for me is probably buying all the stuff I like on salad bars, so I did that. Yay!

15m walk in the frigid icy wind - did it! (My goal for today was officially 6m, lol.)

hippie_mama is offline Member

Bwahahah!

I mean...err...sorry :P I only beat you here by a week too!

Yesterday:

B - 3 eggs in 1T butter, 3/4C butternut bisque, 2oz chevre, a few ounces of whey (I had poured it off my yogurt and was craving something wet & tart)

L - 2.5oz chicken, salad (olives, EVOO, raita, carrots, romaine, spinach), 1oz farmer's cheese, 3oz brie, 1/3C blue&raspberries, butter

S - 1C Greek yogurt & <1/4C almonds

S - way too much brie (why is this obsessive for me?)

D - pot roast (maters, taters), salad

At least 7m of running around like crazy cleaning the kitchen before I went to bed - but although it was faster, it was no more than I normally do in a day. So missed a day of extra "move slow."

Welcoming comments on the food or whatever! I don&#39;t know if I&#39;ve lost any weight yet, but if a week goes by and I haven&#39;t, I am going to be so sad!

Friday - 185lbs (I&#39;m 5&#39;4", btw, and 2 months postpartum)

B - 3 eggs in 1T butter, 2oz chevre

L - salmon salad (canned wild salmon, mayo, almonds), salad (romaine, carrots, olives, EVOO, balsamic vinegar), blueberries

S - a little yogurt (early snack; don&#39;t know why I&#39;m feeling hungry)

S - 1C Greek yogurt, blueberries

D - lobster w/ drawn butter, parmesan-crusted scallops, jalapeno grits, red pepper cream sauce, sauteed brussels sprouts, a little sashimi

8 min walk.

What&#39;s the Primal thought on grits/corn? I noticed that it didn&#39;t cause the belly inflation that had been disappearing this grainless week - yay!

Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast