Page 91 of 138 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 91

AmieSue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Oh, yeah, I came here to post that I've had increased bruising this last week.

History: I never bruised easily. Never.

Then, around 13 years ago, I noticed I would bruise when I took kickboxing classes. But these were no-contact classes. it seemed to be just from jarring the air.

I've noticed in the last few years that every now and then, bruises will just appear, almost always on my upper legs. They are not "easy bruising from light bumps" - I am not bumping into anything. Also, I do not bleed easily. Never have, still don't. So the stuff I can find online about easy bruising is useless for what I'm seeing.

I have a guess that it is going along with detoxifying or something like that. Right now, I have about 10 of them between both legs. Small to med size and black.

Also, and this is good, since going off the FODMAPs, I don't seem to have the calf swelling anymore. ?
    I read:

Some people — especially women — are more prone to bruising than are others. As you get older, several factors can contribute to easy bruising, including:

Aging capillaries. Over time, the tissues supporting these vessels weaken, and capillary walls become more fragile and prone to rupture.
    Thinning skin. With age, your skin becomes thinner and loses some of the protective fatty layer that helps cushion your blood vessels from injury. Excessive exposure to the sun accelerates this process.

Can medications and supplements contribute to easy bruising?

Blood-thinning drugs such as aspirin and warfarin (Coumadin) or medications such as clopidogrel (Plavix) reduce your blood's ability to clot. As a result, bleeding from capillary damage might take longer than usual to stop — which allows enough blood to leak out and cause a bruise.

Topical and systemic corticosteroids — which can be used to treat various conditions, including allergies, asthma and eczema — cause your skin to thin, making it easier to bruise. Certain dietary supplements, such as fish oil and ginkgo, also can increase your bruising risk due to a blood-thinning effect.
    Amie Sue...

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not old and wasn't when it started, either, lol. No excessive sun exposure, no meds ever, no ginkgo, and very little fish oil (1/2 tsp/day). And as I mentioned, I don't bleed easily. It's not blood thinning, so far as I can tell.

Thanks for the leads! this is the frustration I've experienced - nothing I can find on the issue applies to me! I'm sure Dr. K would know off the top of his head, lol.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

K-Mtl is offline Junior Member
    Wow MamaGrok, 129 days binge free!! This is amazing!
    I discovered Dr Kruse blog a few weeks ago, have been on the reset since beginning of Febuary and doing CT for the last 2 weeks (showers, baths and ice packs). I have an history of bulemia, ain't purging for a year now but still binging from time to time...When I stopped purging, I gained a lot of weight because I was binging all the time. I was also over-training. Hormones went out of control, sleep was so bad, at one point I barely slept for 3 months...Went Paleo last August, helped a lot with binging and sugar addiction, but sleep was still the major problem. Since doing the reset, hunger has decreased, but I still binge from time to time -like today - but at least I don't eat gluten anymore, trying to reduce the negative consequences...
    Sleep as improved a lot in the last week, so glad about that, and feel kind of stupid about screwing up today...
    But everyday I think of you, and tell myself that it is doable, and that I can do it. You are my inspiration, and wanted to thank you
    K

Wow, that is very humbling, K. Thanks for sharing *your* part of the story. I did binge/fast, but it's the same problem at its heart, and yes, I gained weight when I stopped the fast, but didn't yet have control over the binge. I was fortunate in that I found a program (RAdiant Recovery) to help with the sugar addiction, but it could only go so far, as it really pushed high carb eating. B/c it did work on the sugar problem, I only gained ten pounds, which I call the best ten pounds I ever gained. They were the result of me finally holding onto the precious nutrients I was bringing into my house to feed my family.

Leptin Sensitive?
    BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
    141 w00t!
    130 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no, 1 hr. Getting on top of this TOMORROW.
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? 7, yay!
    - no snacking yes, slight hunger around 4, passed with tea
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, should be
    - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 45 degrees & sunny
    - darkening the house at sunset yes
    - 100% primal diet may have been sugar in bacon
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) sugar in bacon?
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes, but lots of that

Morning
    D (5000IU) - forgot it.
    HCl - 3 bkfst, 2 mid-dinner
    CO - 3T
    Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
    Organs, broth, ferments: thyrogold, liver, SK; nada. Oops.

Midday
    Mg (700mg) - yes
    Selenium (200mg) - yes
    B complex - yes
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
    ACV -
    OOO -
    Green tea -
    Salt and/or potassium - NEED SOME.. Woozy on standing.
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)

No FODMAPs or nightshades? - AFAIK - possible in BBQ
    Cold - bkfst, 40?m ice bath w/ belly packs. FELT GOOD. Wasn't even shivering afterward. Just a touch cold. Felt quite invigorating and I actually got an urge to do it again tonight!

B - 6+oz ground bf w ccc, bite bacon (probably had sugar), Bubbies SK, 1.5?oz raw pork liver, greens + half squash, 3T CO.

D - unadorned BBQ pork meat, had a reasonable portion but was still hungry, so had leftover CCC beef + greens.

Results
    - energy 5/10, but SLEEPY.
    - bloating = ~2mo morning .... looks like no effect from dinner last night. YAY! Not bad after meals today, either, although up around 3-4mo bloating an hour after dinner. It didn't happen immediately like it usually does.
    - skin = smooth except elbows & mild bumps on arms
    - slept hard from 1am-7:50am. Couldn't get back to sleep for some reason, but still very sleepy. Needed nap badly around 3, but couldn't get one. Dying to sleep at 7:30pm.
    - voice a bit scratchy & nose a bit drain-y. Someone's cold passing through (don't really seem to catch them hard these days), or detox?
    - No swelling in limbs the last few weeks. YES! Also, realized I haven't had 6pm tirades daily like I was having them last summer (and before), even while LC & primal. Thank you, God!
    - Still no hunger during day, no or easily-ignorable cravings, slightly increasing energy. Sweating a lot when I sing at church - combination of being in the hot loft and exerting the diaphragm, I guess, but I didn't used to sweat like this upstairs. Is this my equivalent of "sweats more when exercising?"

Still hungry after dinner. Grrr.

GAPS day 30
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-04-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Party last night! Another successful one! I made up a delicious ground beef & veggie mix last night - cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt & pepper + leftover greens = 5m dinner, so yum. It was really more than I needed, yet I still found I wanted to eat something else at the party. I found myself looking longingly at the guacamole, cheese, etc. I wonder if that's tied into the sweet dreams I've had the last several nights. Obviously those foods are far from sweets, just think it's translating into foods I might actually intellectually consider if weak, lol.

So I decided to have the carnitas, b/c they were the only thing that looked like just meat. I piled my plate high (while all the other women went for the vegetarian lasagna BLEHBLEHBLEH!!!! I was hoping someone would notice my meat pile with no veggies ,lol) and scarfed it down. Delicious.. Tasted a TINY bit sweet and may have had some salsa mixed in (I didn't see any, but their website sounded like it might have some), but I seem to have no bloating or weight or water retention effects this morning, so WOOHOO!

After eating, I had no desire for their wares at all anymore (although strangely, even though stuffed right now, my stomach feels giddy at the thought of the spread, so clearly something has triggered me and I justneed to keep an eye on the next few days for the slipper slope). Went on to have a nice, food-free social evening (didn't need to stay in the kitchen all night, like before), and had a great time joining the pro bluegrass band (and various combos made from a lot of other partygoers coming in and out of the mix) singing my heart out and holding my own with them - SO GRATEFUL for the changes that going primal has had on my voice.

K - I forgot to mention, IDK how far you've read through my journal, but I failed many, many times trying to work the leptin reset. It took me three months of repeated attempts before I tried increasing my BAB to 65g, then a month before that finally worked its magic. That was 10/31, and some time in the next month, I even lost my hunger for lunch. That has stuck ever since, too.

This is really a life-changer for me, as I"m sure you can imagine.

Just wanted to encourage you NEVER to give up! Most of the times I fell hard, I either putjust a blip about it in here (b/c it felt so hard to acknowledge it) or just disappeared for a few days/month. A lot of my frustration was in a thread I called "Have you won the war against sugar addiction" or something like that - I was so desperate and feeling so beaten down against the battle, and I kid you not, that very week, the leptin reset thread started.

Divine providence.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Thank you for your words
    Fortunately, the binges happen less and less often, are smaller, and I'm not as hard on myself as I used to be when it happens. I know I will get completely binge free someday. I've been binging many years, so my body has to recover and it can't happen over night. I'm doing so much more better than last year, my friends and familly are amazed. Those 25 lbs I gained don't make me happy, but I know being healthy is the priority and they'll go away as a side effect (not all the 25 because I was too thin). I don't even weight myself anymore, it took me long to understand that I am more than a number on a scale and how I feel and how I look has nothing to do with that number.

I am so grateful I found the Paleo community and Dr Kruse blog, I feel so good now and I know I will feel even better

I know you have energy problem...I was feeling the same for many weeks: i was sleeping, but woke up so tired, couldn't barely go through my day. A week ago, I cut back on meat and replaced it by fish and seafood...I've been sleeping good for a week, waking up refreshed and full of energy! First time in my life! (I'm 33). But I don't know if it's because of the Leptin reset or the cut back on the meat...Do you take any magnesium supplement? I also bought B6+ GABA last week and took it a few times (I forgot most of the week bc I have to take it between meals), but it is very relaxing and it's supposed to help with sleep....

Have a good day

Thank you for your words
    Fortunately, the binges happen less and less often, are smaller, and I'm not as hard on myself as I used to be when it happens. I know I will get completely binge free someday. I've been binging many years, so my body has to recover and it can't happen over night. I'm doing so much more better than last year, my friends and familly are amazed. Those 25 lbs I gained don't make me happy, but I know being healthy is the priority and they'll go away as a side effect (not all the 25 because I was too thin). I don't even weight myself anymore, it took me long to understand that I am more than a number on a scale and how I feel and how I look has nothing to do with that number.

I am so grateful I found the Paleo community and Dr Kruse blog, I feel so good now and I know I will feel even better

I know you have energy problem...I was feeling the same for many weeks: i was sleeping, but woke up so tired, couldn't barely go through my day. A week ago, I cut back on meat and replaced it by fish and seafood...I've been sleeping good for a week, waking up refreshed and full of energy! First time in my life! (I'm 33). But I don't know if it's because of the Leptin reset or the cut back on the meat...Do you take any magnesium supplement? I also bought B6+ GABA last week and took it a few times (I forgot most of the week bc I have to take it between meals), but it is very relaxing and it's supposed to help with sleep....

Have a good day

oups...don't know why my answer has been posted twice...sorry

AmieSue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Mtl View Post
    Thank you for your words

Have a good day
    Amazing wins all around! here and with weight loss! hugs
    Amie Sue...

Page 91 of 138 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast