Page 83 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 83

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hm. I was wondering because I'm on the fence about doing a leptin reset. I still want to give exercise my best shot this month to see if pounds come off. Other than strength training, I've done plenty of exercise mainly in the form of long walks and hikes and have stuck to my diet 100 percent. But, I haven't lost any weight in the last three weeks. That could be because of extra stress, lack of HIIT exercise or maybe too many snack calories. If the regular exercise regimen and lack of snacks doesn't work for me this month, I think I need to try this leptin reset thing in March. I'm just afraid that if I eat that much at breakfast and don't exercise, I'll get even fatter! That obviously hasn't been the case with you, though. You're almost there! Six pounds!
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

MamaGrok is online now Senior Member
    I lost the first 40 through just primal (almost no exercise), then gained ten back with a series of weekend-only one-day binges, then learned about the leptin reset last June and have been working on that ever since. It's supposed to be 6-8 weeks, but my struggles with binges have meant it took me several months to get to the point of being able to comply with the LR protocol. I've been 100% for the last 6 weeks, and still losing in fits and spurts.

BTW, I still have all the ab muscle and almost all the arm muscle I had when I quit working out 6 years ago. I think that once you have it, and probaby partly to do with having had it for a long time before that, just the normal every day stuff keeps it up very well. I've found once or twice that just a few days of heavy lifting takes me back to about 98% with the arm strength. I have a lot of muscle hidden under the slowly receding pudge!

So no, I don't think that 6-8 weeks without exercise will cause anyone to gain weight, nor lose muscle. Do look at the signs of LR and be sure you are first, although I was never 100% sure, just fairly sure, and I think the big protein breakfast can help anybody. The LR is *not* a weight loss plan, though - the idea is to restore internal imbalances, then weight loss can come rapidly. Some people lose on it, as I have (slowly); others are still and don't lose till off it; still others gain (especially those with severe hormonal imbalances and/or a history of binge/fast where they're eating real food after binges for the first time instead of abstaining).

You may just need time! But if you have any concern at all about snack calories, I'd for sure try the BAB and see what happens. It's one thing not to snack and quite another to lose all desire to snack at all, and forget about food for long hours at a time, every day, with no effort. I. Love. It!

I ate 50g each morning for several months, then upped to 65g and found that did in my binges for good. After a month at that level, I stopped wanting to eat lunch. I haven't eaten lunch in several months, adn don't miss it at all (or the time devoted to preparing yet another primal meal each day!). Fat loss really started coming consistently at that point. I'm now finding less desire for dinner, so will probably back off my BAB soon, back down slowly to 50g daily.

Best of luck to you! And I love your goal and think I'll make it my own - one pull-up by year's end!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

kkcarlton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Almost 100% diet. I think I"ve exercised maybe ten times in the last two years. Taken maybe 30 walks. So sadly, almost none, mostly due to complete lack of energy to do anything other than life maintenance - cook, laundry, sleep, lol.
    Same here MamaGrok and I don't even have kids. We'll both get there and you look great BTW.
    Started Atkins:: 1996
    Started Paleo: 2003
    Illness Started: 2008
    Started Leptin Reset: 01.10.2012
    Thighs Starting Size: 54.8 cm
    Thighs Goal Size: 53.5 cm
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46986.html

HakunaMatata is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Wore my 20 year old cheerleading uniform today...

If it weren't for the bloating I tried to suck in, it would have fit exactly like it did then. Exactly.
    Glam was totally right! MG, you look absolutely amazing! I have no clue how old you are, but teenage body was right on the money!

Week 6, Day 2
    BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
    145 ... weird given how I feel
    105 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? yes
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes
    - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 45 & alternating cloudy/sunny for 45m or so, with only long-sleeve shirt (no coat)
    - darkening the house at sunset forgot for a while, then yes
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes, way less, and all GAPS
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading 1.5extra at bkfst, 1 at dinner, IIRC

Morning
    D (5000IU) - off till evoo re-intro'd
    HCl -
    Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
    Organs, broth, ferments: 30mg dried thyroid; 2C beef broth, goat & beef liver, heart, Bubbies pickle, gristle&goo pate; 2C beef broth, Bubbies, gristle&goo for dinner

Midday
    Mg (700mg) - off till 2/10
    Selenium (200mg) -
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
    ACV -
    OOO - off till 2/10
    Green tea -
    Salt and/or potassium - salted broth & sausage
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
    GFCF? yes

B - 9.5oz beef/heart/liver ssg, 2C beef broth, 1oz rare goat liver, fermented pickle, 2 radishes, sliced fennel, yellow squash, gristle&goo pate

D - brat (just one, like yesterday ... <4oz?), 2C bf broth, gristle&goo, Bubbies pickle

Results
    - energy still slightly increased
    - bloating = 2mo morning, felt much better, but weight was up from yesterday, so weird. 3-4mo at night?
    - skin = so soft
    - slept well 10:45 - 4:45, then awake for well over an hour. Think I got another 1.5sleep later for 7.5 total. Drowsy this morning of course. Actually felt better when I woke the first time. :P
    - Ate breakfast in a thin sweater, 45 degrees & partly cloudy. Not cold at all. Wasn't cold at 4:45 am despite house below 68 and light gown
    - mouth was completely dry last night before bed. I've never had such a dry mouth for no obvious reason. Drank two tall glasses of water and then some. It seemed to work when I woke in the middle of the night and wasn't dry anymore, but strangely, also didn't have a crazy need to hit the restroom like it seemed I should. I'm guessing my body is using the water to accomplish something with this bloat, and hasn't yet dispensed of it, hence the extra weight? I don't feel like I'm carrying water weight, though ...
    - bkfst felt enormous (and it was!). If I keep trying to get in 2C broth, veggies, 3T CO, liver, & pate in my breakfast, the 65g has got to get lower

GAPS day 6
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-09-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks for the nice comments, y'all! It helps me to be a little more objective toward my body, which I still see from the bigger & puffier standpoint, and mostly focus on the work that still needs to be done in my face (never had anything but a super lean face in my life before the last few years, and it's still puffy and I don't love that).

Hey, nice new sorta WYSIWYG editor!

Week 6, Day 3

BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
    146.5 ... bizarre
    106 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? yes, 6:30
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, 4.5-5?
    - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 37 & sunny with a ss t-shirt on & bare feet. Felt the sensation of cold on my body, but only my fingers actually got cold, and those are now the warmest part of my body 2hrs later.
    - darkening the house at sunset later, but yes
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading 1.5extra at bkfst (+ tallow), 1T dinner. Gut effects most of the afternoon. ? I used to tolerate this amount well. I wonder if I'm absorbing more, or if being off it a few days messed that up (latter seems unlikely)?

Morning
    D (5000IU) - off till evoo re-intro'd
    HCl -
    Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
    Organs, broth, ferments: 30mg dried thyroid; 2C beef broth, goat & beef liver, heart, home-ferm pickle & 4cloves pickled garlic, gristle&goo pate; Bubbies pickle, gristle&goo, broth

Midday
    Mg (700mg) - off till 2/10
    Selenium (200mg) - yes
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
    ACV - 1T kombucha vinegar in water instead
    OOO - off till 2/10
    Green tea -
    Salt and/or potassium - feel the need for it even after broth & sausage. Am I diluting my electrolytes too much with all the broth, tea, and water? So thirsty, though... 1tsp in water
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
    GFCF? yes

B - 8.5oz beef/heart/liver ssg, 2C beef broth, 1oz rare goat liver, fermented pickle & garlic, 2 radishes, sliced fennel, yellow squash, gristle&goo pate, cilantro (=~10.4g carbs)

D - 1 3.9oz brat, 2C beef broth, <1T CO, 1 big Bubbies pickle, about 1oz gristle&goo pate

Results
    - energy 4.?/10
    - bloating = 2mo morning. Weight doesn't make any sense. My clothes still fit fine. ??
    - skin = so soft
    - slept like a rock 11:15-7:30. Woke groggy as usual.
    - Ate breakfast in a t-shirt, 37 degrees. Not cold.
    - BabyGrok has been sunshine the last two mornings, and almost all day yesterday. Just sweet and cheerful and not at all apt to pitch a fit if she didn't get her way. This is the way my first two babies were ALL the time. The oldest never threw a fit, not one, never, till she was three years old. This one has had the most fits of all of them, and can work herself into a completely tizzy for close to an hour over something very minor. I have long thought it was gut. Now I think it even more. It's hard to bear disappointment when you're off inside, and hard to get upset over anything less than catastrophe when you're not. I've been both ways, and I can see it in her. I have to imagine that something has left my body that is no longer poisoning her through breastmilk. Night and day from 2 days ago to yesterday. Night and day. My poor sweetie! But I'm so happy to see her such sunshine!
    -sleepy again by 9:30 - yay!

GAPS day 7
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-09-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Felt like I was getting a cold (weepy eyes two nights ago, woke up this morning with eyes & chest or something (can't remember) feeling cold-y. Can't do raw veggies yet on this stage of GAPS, but ta-da! I have fermented garlic! Perfect! 4 cloves down the hatch.

I am so happy to see ToddlerGrok so happy. I hope she stays this way! She deserves it! (and I hope I'm next. )

A good sign: I usually hate talking on the phone. I didn't used to, but combine my hatred for the delays and silences (caused by noise filtering algorithms) on modern phones (that didn't happen pre- cell- and cordless phones) and my increasing bad mood & anti-social feel, and I don't even like talking to dh on the phone when he's away on business. He called yesterday morning and I was a bear and got off the phone in less than a minute. Called this morning and I was cheery and fun. Maybe it is my turn.

The last two nights he's been away have been more progress. I always end up staying up late, later, and ridiculate when he's out of town, later each night. I've been so sleepy by 9:30 that I can't stay up. I have to get upstairs by 10:30. Very good sign of improving circadian rhythm.

Being a night owl is neither a "perfectly fine alternative" to "early to bed, early to rise," nor is it a sign of laziness, I think. I think it's screwed up circadian rhythm. And a correlation - night owls tend to be late to everything, and procrastinators. . Inertia is strong. I think it's a combination of sloth & circadian, different balances in different people. For me, it was not understanding the virtue and benefits of "early to bed," which was worsened as my circadian rhythms got off, and as I tried to fight it, I eventually just gave up and called myself a "night owl" and decided it was just as good as the alternative.

Nah. Biology is better.

Oh, I am SO FULL. I feel awful. Yuck. I was already crazy full, but also feeling woozy, like I needed some salt. Too lazy to heat water so I could drink less, so I had to drink nearly 3 cups of water to get enough for the salt to dissolve (I took over a teaspoon). So now I feel like I'm about to burst.

This has got to be good for the whole vagus nerve thing, lol.

I think it's a really good sign. I would not at all be surprised if a week from now, my BAB is <60g (including the liver & pate) and I'm still skipping lunch and just needing a small dinner.

AmieSue is offline Senior Member
    Good morning Mama,
    I am reading a great book called "Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism" 3rd edition by aria Emmerich. She shares a lot of the same stuff as Dr. Kruse. So in my reading she is talking about the health of our liver and one symptom when we are experiencing liver issues is bloating and it made me think of you. You are far better educated in all this than I am but I felt it was worth mentioning.
    Amie Sue...