Page 82 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 82

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    From Dr. Kruse's eating disorder blog:

@ C I think Leptin Rx witht he AI protocol is a good call by you. Be patient and listen to Momma Grok……her and I fought for a while and now she is approaching rockstar status. All these diseases are closely related and I think they are all caused by the same pathophysiology I think the main difference is the severity of the cortisol response that set it off really help determine which mismatch you get. I think AN is truly an transgenerational epigenetic disease but medicine is not close to buying it. Too many young girls have a family history on the maternal side that fits and the more we learn about epigenetics the more I believe my instincts are correct here.

PS. Momma Grok is a couple of pounds from her goal and she is no longer binging……and no I did not do any psychotherapy on her……..just brain surgery without a scalpel.

@Syl…….I have never believe that AN or BN were purely psychiatric diseases. I always felt there was some brain gut axis problem associated with it but I did not put it together until I linked the incretins with the hypocretins and found out leptin controlled both. Then is made sense. The Leptin Rx works for many with these disorders because it forces the “BAD BRAIN BDNF” to get back to working eventually. MommaGrok is a perfect example. It may take longer than you want but eventually it will force them to once again be yoked together.

BDNF, huh... I see long-term memory, will have to see how it's connected to incretins or hypercretins or EDs. Gah, to think that I did not realize until a few months ago that I had an eating disorder. As if not being able to stop thinking about, and indulging in, grains & sugar ALL DAY LONG isn't disordered! As if eating half a carton of ice cream and/or half a cereal box of granola, every day, is not disordered! I thought I was just a glutton. Sheesh.

I never thought about the cortisol from the physical, emotionally, etc., abusive HS boyfriend. The timing is ... curious. I never felt stressed during that time or even during the four years in engineering school, but ... the timing is impeccable. ?

Approaching rock star status .... prepare for liftoff!!

@Momagrok……not syaing its fully functional yet, but you are getting there. BDNF is what really fixes those with ED and many other mental illnesses like depression. BDNF allows neural circuitry repair to happen where damage has taken a deep toll

@Dan there is no authority here. I have had the pleasure of treating many with spine disease who also have had ED. The interesting thing I have noticed that most have this binge disorder for most of their life and treatment is woeful. When I started to formulate the Leptin Rx in 2007 I spoke to several bariatric surgeons about their bingers and purgers and they told me that all their disorders improve after their vagus was cut from their stomachs. I knew that had to mean something physiologically. So the Leptin Rx is a way to force the brain to become plastic by causing it to rewire. It does the same thing a bariatric surgeon does but without a knife. And after sometime…….bingers and purgers have told me they have had remarkable changes in their behavior. I call it a solid unintended consequence. The more I researched the mechanism…….and saw the incretins and hypocretins and leptin with the vagus all together I knew there was more physiologic to the story that their was psychiatric. BN has woeful treatment numbers from conventional psychiatry. So I think those who have it and want to try a Leptin Rx reset certainly are not going to hurt themselves eating a paleo diet in a special way for a period of time. This is how a clinician pays attn to his patients and observes things closely and then talks to surgeons who routinely slice open the guts of fat and purging patients and talk to them to gain insights. I do not believe there is any data to support a set point for fatness at all.
    Dan H basically asks if food reward is not part of it for the bulimic eating SAD processed food

@Dan H after it is hard wired you are correct. I am addressing the proximal pathophysiology. How to fix it now no one has a great answer. I think my rewiring protocol wont hurt and may help a great deal. The best part…….it certainly wont hurt them any more than they have been. The longer you have an ED the longer you have to apply the Leptin Rx reset. Momagrok is a perfect example. It took her a while but she is now one third of year with no binges.

@Meghan Yes antibiotics do affect appetite. Anything that changes gut flora can affect teh incretin hormone response via the vagus nerve. The usual result is an increase in agouti and NPY to increase hunger. Candida also increases PYY. A word on GAPS…….it does nothing for this issue. In fact anyone who uses GAPS thinks it works on all leaky guts. It does not. The big hole in GAPS is that if you hve a eukaryotic infection in the gut like Candida or C diff GAPS wont do a thing. You need to go beyond it. See my Leaky gut Rx for beyond it……..that would be IV glutathione etc.

Andrea asked basically, what is the difference between the obese and those who develop EDs?

@Andrea its pretty simple. The obese alone have a excessive cytokine load that is structurally related to leptin and leptin alone. The excess cytokines cause the leptin receptor to not account for calories as it should. The pathways from the gut to the brain are working perfectly fine and the temporal signaling is not a problem. The obese initially did not start with high cortisol levels…….excessive leptin levels cause high cortisol levels as time goes and they develop obesity. All ED patients start with high cortisol as their basis that causes the disruption. ED patents have a leptin problem caused by a cortisol problem that destroys the normal signaling between the gut and the brain between the incretin gut hormones and leptin neurons in the brain. The pathways are not broken they just do not signal correctly temporally.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Week 5, Day 6
    BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
    144.5, still deflating
    102 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes, took a long time to get it down, though!
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? yes
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime should be
    - exposure to morning temp & sun no, overcast. SEveral sunny hours later in the afternoon
    - darkening the house at sunset no, kids were having a super bowl party for the 5 year old neighbors, lol
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes!
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes, and no fCLO
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading 1T extra at bkfst, 1.5 at dinner

Morning
    D (5000IU) - off till evoo re-intro'd
    HCl -
    Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
    Organs, broth, ferments: 40ish mg dried thyroid, 2C broth + ferm melon rind + bit o' gizzard & gristle; goat liver, 2c broth, rind at dinner

Midday
    Mg (700mg) - off till 2/10
    Selenium (200mg) - off till 2/8
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
    ACV -
    OOO - off till 2/10
    Green tea - 2-3C?
    Salt and/or potassium - getting low vitals signs, forgot to take some and it went away. Put nearly a tsp in my broth at dinner.
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
    GFCF? yes

B - 9.5oz chicken + brats, 2C chicken broth, bit o' giblets & gristle, bite of ferm wtrmln rind, greens, shrooms, yellow squash, cilantro

D - 2 brats, 2C broth, 1oz rare goat liver, 1.5T CO, while all around me was nightshade-dairy land. My kids threw a great almost-paleo Super Bowl party, but not for me! Chili, cheese, sour cream, organic cornbread with butter, fruit & nuts, more cheese, butternut squash seeds, guac/etc./bean dip ... the thing I missed out on the most was the cumin in the chili & the avocado & sour cream in the dip. Maybe next week I'll have cumin-y guacamole!

Results
    - energy 4-5/10
    - bloating = visually about 3mo morning, but feels like much worse. Distension feels like it's pressing from my stomach so hard it's pulling on my throat, if that makes any sense. Stomach is very, very tender to the touch, but bloating is overall down and all swelling is gone from limbs, except for fingers. Face is puffy today. (nose & lips very noticeable)
    - skin = so soft
    - slept well for 8.5hrs. Sleepy in morning, though. Short nap after noon.
    - orthostatic hypo waking this morning, and feel it while sitting after bkfst. Maybe not as much salt in the broth & brats as I thought? Will take some soon.

GAPS day 4
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-06-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Wore my 20 year old cheerleading uniform today...

If it weren't for the bloating I tried to suck in, it would have fit exactly like it did then. Exactly.

Week 5, Day 7
    145.5, on the way up again. sheesh
    103 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? 7:45
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime yes, 3.5+
    - exposure to morning temp & sun no, overcast.
    - darkening the house at sunset yes
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes, and no fCLO yet
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading forgot... only 1T bkfst and none dinner

Morning
    HCl -
    Organs, broth, ferments: 60 mg dried thyroid, 1.5C broth + ferm melon rind + goat liver; 30mg thyroid midday; broth, rind dinner

Midday
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) -
    ACV -
    OOO - off till 2/10
    Green tea - 4C?
    Salt and/or potassium - salty broth
    GFCF? yes

B - 9.2oz beef/heart/liver ssg, 1.5C chicken broth, 1oz rare goat liver, good bit of ferm wtrmln rind, greens, shrooms, yellow squash, cilantro

D - carnitas (pork shoulder braised in broth & spices), big chunk fermented watermelon rind. MY HEAD IS SPINNING. WHAT?! Could it have been the chunk of cinnamon bark?

Results
    - energy 4/10 morning, 6/10 evening (was walking around picking up w/o even thinking about it)
    - bloating = 4mo morning, BIG after dinner but could just be fullness on top of the bloat
    - skin = so soft
    - slept well 11:30 - 6 when dh's alarm woke me (it never does) and I couldn't get back to sleep for probably 45m? I think I got another half hour's sleep before getting up, exhausted, around 8ish. Really wanted to go back to bed.
    - Thought I'd need a nap, but got less sleepy around 3-4pm
    - Head spinning after dinner. ?!

GAPS day 4
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-07-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Before/After:

This is Nov 2010 vs Jan 2012. Yeah, I'm a SLOW loser. But I looked about the same 7 months ago as in the second pic. Same pants, same shirt. The pants barely closed in the first and can't be worn without a belt in the second. Both are holding abs in. Biggest losses are in upper arms, thighs, glut, bust, & hips. Hard to see in the pics, though.

Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-06-2012 at 08:54 AM.

AmieSue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Before/After:

This is Nov 2010 vs Jan 2012. Yeah, I'm a SLOW loser. But I looked about the same 7 months ago as in the second pic. Same pants, same shirt. The pants barely closed in the first and can't be worn without a belt in the second. Both are holding abs in. Biggest losses are in forearms, thighs, glut, bust, & hips. Hard to see in the pics, though.

You look great. Your dedication is admirable! Thank you for sharing everyday. They are a wonderful encouragement.
    Amie Sue...

Some updates:

- DH & I both think my under-eye circles are receding. Still dark in the very corner, but not spread under and across like before. dairy?
    - my rings weren't spinning yesterday even though my limb measurements were otherwise all down. They're pretty loose today, and I felt a great gut feeling mid-today that hopefully is a good sign, even though i was still very distended after dinner tonight.

Up up up waiting for TdlrGrok to go to sleep. This is my first child who is so difficult with sleep (although strangely, she has always sleppt through the night more than they ... just very irregular with her nap and bed times) ... lots of difficult things with her not with the rothers ... absolutely positive it's b/c of my health...

Week 6, Day 1
    144.5 again
    104 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? yes, 7:15
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime should be
    - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, glorious 42 & sunny.
    - darkening the house at sunset forgot, but now yes
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) way less, yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes (<1/2t fCLO)
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading 1.5 extra at bkfst, 1 at dinner

Morning
    HCl -
    Organs, broth, ferments: 1C chicken & 1C beef broth, goat & beef liver, heart, Bubbies pickle; TOTALLY FORGOT THYROID; gristle pate & broth & pickle for dinner

Midday
    ACV -
    OOO - off till 2/10
    Green tea - 4 C?
    Salt and/or potassium - salted broth & sausage
    GFCF? yes

B - 9.2oz beef/heart/liver ssg, 2C chicken & beef broth, 1oz rare goat liver, fermented pickle, greens, shrooms, yellow squash, bite cooked carrot

D - brat in broth w/ gristle&goo pate, 1T CO (had GI a few hours earlier and didn't want to go overboard), fCLO again.

Results
    - energy /10 morning,
    - bloating = 3mo morning,, felt like it went down just before dinner!
    - skin = so soft
    - slept well 11:30ish - 8, woke very sleepy.
    - Ate breakfast in a thin sweater, 42 degrees & sunny. Not cold at all. After about 30m, noticed hands were cold ... but I was sweating. !
    - decided last night to let my body tell me how much dinner to eat instead of forcing a full amount. I suspect I don't need much at all, which will mean I need to lessen the BAB. And it took me a LONG time to eat breakfast this morning, giving some confirmation to that suspicion. Of course, 65g protein + the 2C of broth & all the veggies & CO I'm trying to get in means breakfast is a lot bigger even than before!
    - okay, felt like I could stop after eating broth & CO & half my brats. but then felt hungry 30m later, grrr. Drank water, feel fine now

GAPS day 5
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-08-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    So, I've skimmed your journal, but don't have time to read all 82 pages: Did you lose your weight through diet alone at this point? Or has exercise played any role in your weight loss?

Looking good anyway!
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Almost 100% diet. I think I"ve exercised maybe ten times in the last two years. Taken maybe 30 walks. So sadly, almost none, mostly due to complete lack of energy to do anything other than life maintenance - cook, laundry, sleep, lol.