Page 77 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 77

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    helllooo, major learning point today. Dr. Kruse o nmy labs:

your labs indicate you gut is so leaky you are close to to developing autoimmunity. The facts that B12 is up is great......but you need to consider IV glutathione treatment now to really help with your diet. You must remain strict on your diet as you have done. I think the key is going hard after your gut. it is where your battle is really at.

Glutathione must be given via IV. It's digested very rapidly when given orally. Intramuscular injections are somewhat effective, but it's minimal. Also included in our treatment is the amino acid N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC). The use of milk thistle has been shown to cause retention of glutathione, so it is part of our program. Glutathione therapy

Important reading: IV Glutathione Therapy

Need to search MDA, leptin threads, & jackkruse.com on glutathione, NAC, ANA, antigliadin, MSH, and more!

Dr. K's Leaky Gut Rx says 600mg 2x/day NAC + 1000mg Vit C daily will make glutathione.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Week 4, Day 2
    BBT - thermometer's batteries are dead
    141.75!!
    89 days binge-free

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes - ignored crying sick toddler to get it in on time
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30? no, 8
    - no snacking yes. was snacky around 3:30-5, though.
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime
    - exposure to morning sun no - thickly overcast
    - darkening the house at sunset yes
    - 100% primal diet probably not
    - <50g carb per day, anti-candida (no sweeteners, starches, or fruit) yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO don't know yet, depends on the pie
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading 2T extra with bkfst

Morning
    D (5000IU) - forgot
    HCl -
    Dig Enz - Considering another brand and/or ox bile and/or bile salts
    Organs, broth, ferments: raw goat liver & broth for bkfst, broth & kidney for dinner

Midday
    Mg (700mg) -
    Selenium (200mg) - yes
    ACV -
    OOO -
    Green tea - two cups
    Salt and/or potassium - tsp css in broth
    Seaweed -
    GFCF? yes (unless in cupcakes)

B - 4 eggs in 3T CO, 5 oz sausage, 1oz goat liver, 1C heavily salted chicken broth

D - one bite gluten-free (think dairy-free, too) cupcake, ~1/3 slice gfcf pecan pie, steak & kidney stew (carrots, shrooms, think I avoided the peppers), ham steak, sausage.

Results
    - energy 4-6/10
    - bloating = 3-4mo in morning. ? Stomach was very uncomfortable to the touch all last night. 5+mo pg looking before bed. HOLY CUPCAKE!
    - skin = quite smooth
    - 9.5 miserable hours. First 3 I was mostly awake, able to sleep some. Then felt quite good and not sleepy and was wondering if I was going to wake up refreshed & LS. Then DD would not go back to sleep for more than a few minutes at a time and I hardly got any sleep over the next several hours. :P
    - warm before bed, very warm all night. 68 degrees and I wanted no sheets from 11pm till closer to 6am. Weird! Good sign, I think.
    - Felt fat & water melting away during my sleep. 142 at night, expected to be 140.5 this morning, but same as yesterday instead. What is that pain & distension in my belly? Very sleepy this morning. Very thirsty. Kept drinking, kept thirsting. fast loose elimination midday followed by less bloating & increased energy & alertness. Ate the bite of sweets, got dizzy, woozy, and sleepy very quickly. No bloating (yet). Is it the sugar? Could be brown rice syrup. Processed oil? I doubt it. Waiting for inggredients list.
    - taught PSR kids some music today. Last time I did this was the worst yet. I was DREADFULLY tired, could hardly keep myself going. Today, I almost enjoyed it, lol. Definitely had energy, was jumping around again, smiling, feeling good. (till the sweets woozified me). Yay!
    - Took my skinny jeans off without buttoning. Definitely yay. (still can't fit in the next ones yet)
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-24-2012 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    Transdermal glutathione is part of my Hashi's protocol: Apex Energetics OxiCell Cream K-22 1.6 oz . It bypasses the liver and is easy to get into the system. Dr. Kharrazian formulated it for his patients. He also created a glutathione recycling formula to be used with it:
    Apex Energetics GLUTATHIONE RECYCLER K-57 90 caps
    Dr. K: getting glutathione into cells is very difficult. You usually have to use lipid immersions and they are quite expensive. The IV dosing can really help people with leaky guts who just fall apart of struggle to get back on their feet.

I usually send patients to natropaths who are experienced in it. I would tell you to go the the main site for function medicine and do a search there based upon geography to find a provider. Medical doctors are clueless about this. Some compounding pharmacies do offer these services.

best source of glutamine - broth.

Dietary glutathione is found in high amounts in fresh, uncooked meats and in moderate amounts in dairy products and eggs. These foods are high in whey protein containing alpha-lactalbumin which is rich in sulfur-containing amino acids. These products optimize the use of glutathione within the body. Cooking and prolonged storage reduces glutathione content of these foods. However, the glutathione content of these foods is high enough that consuming these products after cooking and processing provides the body with sufficient sources of glutathione.

Read more: Food Sources Of Glutathione | LIVESTRONG.COM

Selenium is an important co-factor for the enzyme form of glutathione. Selenium is necessary for formation of glutathione containing enzymes.

From Digital Surgeon:

The Hashimoto's thing......it makes up 95% of all hypothyroid human cases today and it treated by medicine with CW. Most who have it have leaky guts and low levels of intracellular glutathione. Glutathione is a very important antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the correct oxidation-reduction potential inside cells. It scavenges oxidising free radicals, detoxifies heavy metals, pesticides, tylenol and leukotrienes. It stores and transports amino acids, regulates the cell cycle, protein synthesis and gene expression, and protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione is quite important for patients with Hashimoto's. Glutathione protects the body in an extraordinary number of ways, but the fact that it protects the thyroid against hydrogen peroxide is particularly significant for the thyroid. In untreated Hashimoto's, the body's levels of T4 (thyroxine) begin to fall, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels generally start to climb. In order to stimulate the thyroid to make more T4, the TSH activates the thyroid cells to make hydrogen peroxide. If the TSH levels remain high, the thyroid cells continue to produce more and more hydrogen peroxide, and this can lead to increased inflammation, scarring, and ultimately the destruction of thyroid cells. If the hydrogen peroxide manages to gain entry to the cell, the damage becomes far worse.

Hydrogen peroxide is thought to play a significant role in the development and progression of Hashimoto's disease, despite the fact that the thyroid gland actually requires hydrogen peroxide for thyroid hormone formation. Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced during the oxidation of the iodine ions. It is an essential part of the thyroid function. But the critical factor is the protection of the thyroid cells (glutathione level), and the place in which the iodine ions are oxidized. If oxidation occurs inside the cells, the hydrogen peroxide is produced inside the cells, and the cells sustain damage.

A study found that if hydrogen peroxide is allowed to enter thyroid cells, it attacks and cleaves thyroglobulin (protein within the thyroid), producing fragments that are able to diffuse into other cells – and these fragments were recognized by autoantibodies taken from people with Hashimoto's disease. This suggests that hydrogen peroxide entry into thyroid cells may actually be the cause of Hashimoto's disease!!!! SO if you have Hashimoto's your glutathione levels maybe a proxy of how bad your disease really is. It can be a measure of really how leaky your gut is too.

The predominant infiltrating cells in autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis are phagocytic macrophages, neutrophils and various T-cells; the macrophages and neutrophils damage the tissues by releasing inflammatory cytokines and proteins, including hydrogen peroxide making things worse because this further depletes glutathione inside the cells. This is complicated by co-morbid B12 and folate deficiencies in the diet because of the leaky gut. Glutathione requires both to be on hand to work well!

The body's stores of glutathione can become depleted through any stressor. For example, alcoholism, HIV infection, cirrhosis, diabetes, surgical trauma, fasting, environmental toxins, overuse of acetaminophen, chronic stress, inadequate diet, elevated adrenaline release, extensive strenuous exercise, or infection. It is also associated with cigarette smoking, as smoking increases the rate at which the body uses glutathione.

Glutathione is not easily absorbed through oral supplementation, but is synthesized in the body from amino acids, and body levels can be increased through oral administration of glutathione precursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) and L-gluatmine. Getting it into cells is even tougher and requires IV infusions using lipid soluble mediums. For serious autoimmune diseases it is often a great treatment. Oral administration of NAC of doses up to 8,000 mg/day was not found to cause clinically significant adverse reactions, although doses of 600mg/day were enough to significantly improve symptoms of chronic lung disease like COPD. I have used over 3000 mgs a day when my HS-CRP was around 3.0. When I have falls in Vitamin D levels I also reach for NAC or sometimes WHEY protein. Whey also breaks down into glutathione and reduces inflammation. This is why Whey use can augment weight loss in people with high CRP's

Intake of NAC does increase zinc loss through urine, so zinc supplementation would be advisable for anyone supplementing NAC over an extended period. This can deplete your sex steroid hormones if you do not eat a lot of foods with zinc. Me personally when I take a ton I always make my oysters rockerfeller recipe.

Glutathione can also be up-regulated by vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid, PQQ, spinach, offal, yeast extract, and broccoli. N-acetylcysteine is considered to be the most effective, fastest route to raising levels of glutathione. It also increases levels of glutathione only when there is an actual need, and it seems to concentrate only in tissues where glutathione is required. This need corresponds to high MMP9 levels in cells.

The fact that NAC is able to restore glutathione levels and thereby protect the thyroid is particularly interesting given its ability to crack open bacteria such as chlamydia pneumonia, which hide inside the body's own cells during one part of their life cycle, using the host cell's machinery to replicate. Chlamydia pneumoniae has been implicated in autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and N-acetylcysteine is considered an important part of treatment. I do not consider these diseases as part of AI's. I consider finding titers of these in patients to be patho-mneumonic that glutathione levels are very very low in these people.

Beef Liver Pâté with Shallots and Bacon (A Tasty Nutrient-Dense Snack!) beef liver pate

maile: your labs indicate you gut is so leaky you are close to to developing autoimmunity. The facts that B12 is up is great......but you need to consider IV glutathione treatment now to really help with your diet. You must remain strict on your diet as you have done. I think the key is going hard after your gut. it is where your battle is really at.

(maybe I should consider being really fastidious about cross-contamination and handling, and see if that helps further?)

Jill: Is glutathione therapy used to treat any other conditions besides PD?

Dr. Perlmutter: It's been very effective in treating irritable bowel syndrome, and I don't have a clue why. We use it to treat all neurodegenerative symptoms, but it is also part of our treatment for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Jill: Do patients need to go to your health center in Florida to receive this treatment?

Dr. Perlmutter: No. I have an instructional videotape available on my website and I receive six or eight phone calls every day from doctors around the country. I'm happy to work with them. It's something any physician can do in his or her office and ultimately, the patients or their families can learn to do it at home.
    http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/197
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-23-2012 at 12:39 PM.

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine
    600 mg, 60 capsules
    Item Catalog Number: 00215
    N-acetyl-L-Cysteine, 600 mg 60 capsules

$9.11

cortisol low
    Estradiol sensitive=19(9-175)
    Testosterone Total=39 Females: 18-69 years: 2-45 ng/dL
    Testosterone, Free=0.26(0.1-0.85)
    You have high-ish testosterone and rather low freeT----->high SHBG

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine
    600 mg,250 capsules
    Now Foods, NAC, 600 mg, 250 Vcaps - iHerb.com

$22.08

With the nice addition of Molybdenum witch is good for leaky gut.
    Molybdenum

kruse: B12 and folate are required for glutathione to work......and Ironically they are required for the Th1 and 2 proteins that are critical in immune activation. This is a key pathway in Hashimotos and many other autoimmune diseases.

cascade: Remember, the LDL is the cornerstone for all steroid hormones...You are seeing a correction on your Estradiol, and Progesterone - has you T come down as well? right now when you look at your DHEA-S - its in the low range; you're probably experiencing some pregnelone steal; so your LDL isn't being converted properly to the steroid hormones. How's the cortisol? If your cortisol is good, I would think that as you fix how your body clears the RT3, and begins to use T3 - you'll begin to see your body use up the LDL to make the steroid hormones... it might also slow production b/c you're your body might actually be in the process of trying to reach homeostasis as you fix the RT3; however, remember as we age - they don't fill up as much, which is why bio-identical hormone replacement is something that should be looked into.

kruse to jansz on me: bhigh SHBG equals bad bod comp or more fat to lean muscle......of a problem of estrogen dominance......or both.

kruse: I think many might not know excessive exercise increases gut permeability across the board. So in the leaky gut Rx we have the same recommendation for exercise. Small amounts are OK but nothing aggressive. I really like just heavy lifting during your home based cures.

Colostrum seems to help leaky guts not only in infants but in adults with leaky guts. This is why so many body builders use colostrum when they are overtraining. Here is a study linking the good effects of colostrum.

ingentaconnect Bovine Colostrum Supplementation and Exercise Performance: Potent...

This is why those with leaky guts should consider backing off exercise just like I recommend in the Leptin Rx for the same reason. It drives up IL-6 while increasing the cortisol to DHEA level and will hurt metabolism and sleep.

glam: I think many might not know excessive exercise increases gut permeability across the board. So in the leaky gut Rx we have the same recommendation for exercise. Small amounts are OK but nothing aggressive. I really like just heavy lifting during your home based cures.

Colostrum seems to help leaky guts not only in infants but in adults with leaky guts. This is why so many body builders use colostrum when they are overtraining. Here is a study linking the good effects of colostrum.

ingentaconnect Bovine Colostrum Supplementation and Exercise Performance: Potent...

This is why those with leaky guts should consider backing off exercise just like I recommend in the Leptin Rx for the same reason. It drives up IL-6 while increasing the cortisol to DHEA level and will hurt metabolism and sleep.

MSM works on Skin because of the Sulfur cross links it makes in skin.

testosteronecream.biz, lol: The androgen insufficient human female was defined as:

Diminished sense of well-being, dysphoric mood and/or blunted motivation
    Persistent, unexplained fatigue
    Sexual function changes, including lowered libido, sexual receptivity and pleasure
    Potential bone loss, decreased muscular strength, changes in cognition / changes in memory

kruse to me: it tells me you're doing more right than wrong if B12 and folate is solid.......IV glutathione maybe your kill shot for the gut. If you choose not to do it.......just continue to eat well and protect your gut. The gut is your issue.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-23-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Took my skinny jeans off today without unbuttoning. Never been able to do that with these before. Booyah!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Per your glutathione from IV, what about if you tried to take a liquid form?

Apparently it is almost completely not absorbed when given orally, except perhaps in very expensive fat-soluble forms.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

kkcarlton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Apparently it is almost completely not absorbed when given orally, except perhaps in very expensive fat-soluble forms.
    What about liposomal glutathione?

THREE pounds of bloating from one bite of cupcake and three bites of pecan pie (all gluten free). Wow. My body hates this stuff.

ETA okay, just found out the pie crust and cupcakes both had butter in them. Denial much? lol. I'm really surprised I'd have this kind of reaction to butter. Maybe the brown rice syrup? Never tried that before. I certainly won't again. How do you turn a grain of rice into syrup, anyway? I'm sure it's another one of those heavily processed foods masquerading as a health food.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-24-2012 at 06:46 AM.