Page 72 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 72

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    En route to Park City! The short version:

- rose at 5am EST, ate pre-made eggs & sausage, forgot the CO. 4hrs of sleep thanks to BabyGrok!! Took 1.5hr nap later.

- ate lunch at 3/1pm. burger, bacon, cooked veggies, ltc, mtr, avoc. This was the same amount of tim eafter bkfst as I normally go bkfst to dinner.

- ate dinner at 7pm CST. waited much too long and ended up eating chips. :P Too many. "Proudly fried with NO LARD and with 100% vegetable oil!" :P :P pork in green spicy salsa (yes, cayenne = nightshade) , guacamole (I checked the ingredients first), lettuce. Probably had a negligible trace o sour cream that was by the guacamole.

- bed at 9pm, unfortunately too close to dinner, which I forgot about that, but I have GOT to catch up on some sleep!

My head is spinning, my pulse is 120, and my belly looks 5mo pregnant. WHY did I eat that first corn chip? I'm so susceptible when I'm very hungry, or when I'm waiting a long time for food.

Sunshine and fresh air all week.

And one week completely 100% wheat-free down, but inflammation-free, NO. Need to add that to my list, and REMIND MYSELF WHY CORN IS BAD!

I'll have to skip dinner and eat jerky two days this week - at least. Even the chili has wheat in the sauce. I saw the "chili seasonings packet" when it came back from the grocery store. :P

My skin had an amazing change today. It feels like SILK. And then after putting my makeup on the plane, suddenly it was a bit worse and I could feel the lines in my hands again, but now it's back to silk again. Why does this happen? It' amazing!

ETA on 5/31/14 - Amazing that two years later, I was still trying to convince myself I could have corn. CORN HATES ME!!!!!

My skin is still softer than it ever was before, but only goes to "silky" now and then.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-31-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Bkfst - eggs & chorizo, 1T CO (forgot the 2nd)

Dinner - homemade heart jerky & the other TB CO

6 hours of skiing in between. All the blacks are closed for lack of precipitation, so we hit the best blues & double blues we could find over and over again lol.

So far, no soreness at all except for, oddly enough, my fingers! from holding the poles, I guess. I think it's really interesting that I always seem to be able just to come out and ski hard for a week without havign done it for 3 years and with no preparation at all (like squats or bicycling or whatever) and not having exercised for several years, and not get tired. I don't really understand it; I certainly haven't worked for it; but I'll take it!

Very sleep deprived! Bloodshot eyes. No cortisol at all.

Aila is online now Senior Member
    OOH! I haven't been up to the mountain since Thanksgiving weekend - after that the snow here wasn't great, but just this last week it's been dumping and conditions are awesome! Gotta get back up soon!

YAY for no cortisol!

(all times are CST)

4:30am woke up, couldn't sleep for at least an hour grrr
    7:15 woke, ate 4 eggs in 2T CO, 2 bkfst cut pork chops
    12 ate bit of salad w/ quail, marinated rabbit, evoo, nasty salmon, a few other things that are not on the anti-candida or autoimmune no-no lists (like tiny bit of pecan, etc.)
    1 stomach cramps on black slope, hurried to bottom and body rejected lunch. Sheesh!
    6:30 started getting desperate for food (waiting for lunch with friend), ate a bunch of homemade beef jerky.
    7:30 went to farm-to-table restaurant where all the good stuff (lamb shanks, osso bucco, etc.) were "dusted" with wheat flour before being made, so had a tiny chicken pate mousse w/ dilly beans, riesling-infused currants, brown mustard (could have had sugar or honey in it), grilled chicory, minute amt of cranberries (makign my belly giddy, dangit!), winter squaashes (also giddifying my stomach, grr)
    10pm bed

Skiied all day. Exhilirating.

Bloated tonight.

Still going strong with GFCF, nightshade-free (almost)

7am woke, decent night sleep. Ate 4eggs in 2.5T CO, whole pkg of chorizo (5-6oz?)
    10am runs.
    10:30 - felt down, dismal, didn't want to ski. Looke at moguls and nearly cried. Wanted to go home. Muscles felt weak all over. Suddenly thought of salt (even though I had almost a tsp at bkfst, I thought I may have lost it with the runs, and some with yesterday's runs). Went to lodge and opened a ton of pkts and got just over a tsp into a few oz of water.

I kid you not. Less than 5 minutes later, I felt like a new person. This is INCREDIBLE! I was happy, laughing, felt strong, just a total turnaround in overall well-being. Now, I've tried salt before at home when I felt like spending the day on the couch and can't say it helped. But there is NO DOUBT this worked.

After an hour, I felt lke I was at about 90% ,and took another tsp of salt. A slow, gradual improvement, and by two hours later, I had finished several blacks and double blacks and was feeling exhilarated and full of endorphins.

There's one to note!

Dinner was a few dried cherries (3?), two nuts, salad with non-nightshade veggies, olive oil, elk steak, boar sausage, steak steak, & a few bites of cooked bell pepper before Ir emembered it was a nightshade.

Bed at 10!

ETA 5/31/14 - With two years of hindsight, I suspect that it was the iodine, not the salt. Salt never did this for me again, and adding daily iodine added a bit of energy to me that waned every time I stopped. Skiing two years later left me still with the muscles to ski all day, but not the overall physical strength. A few times I wanted to stop early, and a few times it took me several hours to get out on the slopes b/c I Just didn't want to go out and exert myself.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-31-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    hey whats the salt thing about?

I suspect electrolyte depletion (from IBS-like issues), adrenal problems / low cortisol, an altitude thing compounding my normally very low BP, or a combination. I also suspect an aldosterone/renin issue (I learned about this on stopthethyroidmadness, and from Dr. Kruse) and am adding this to the labs I'm doing next week.

BTW ,my skin continues to be silky smooth! This from someone whose whole family and self have always had sandpaper skin! Thank you ,leptin!

Dr. K says he usually has a smoothie for breakfast, so no cooking required. His recipe:

3-6 raw pastured eggs
    Nutiva coconut manna
    So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
    Navitas 100% pure Cocoa powder
    Cinnamon
    Raw pastured heavy cream
    Navitas Goji berry powder
    occasionally blue or blackberries, and in the fall, organic pumpkin and nutmeg
    I know I have inflammation (high ferritin, low iron, high AST, high hs-crp) so will have to see if the C4 test is available

You want a VAP or NMR lipid profile, chem 20, liver function, serum iron, TIBC, serum ferritin, and iron %saturation, homocysteine, hs CRP, complete CBC w/differential, hormone panel ( total testosterone, % free testosterone, DHT, LH, FSH, hs Estradiol (E2), DHEA-S, IGF-1, thyroid panel (free t4, free t3, tsh, reverse t3, thyroid antibody screening), vit D3 25-hydroxy, omega 6/3 serum test, fasting serum insulin & hbA1C
    Nashville: Vandy, Dr K, Dave Ramsey, Dominican Sisters

almond flour crackers (rare, for pate and such) Grain-Free Garlic Rosemary Crackers | Food Renegade

Okay, so after the body has been through a chronic period of high cortisol it down regulates itself so that less cortisol is made. Then one is in adrenal fatigue. In order to heal, one has to stop taxing the adrenal system by reducing stress (mindfulness, meditation, etc.), re-establish a good circadian rhythm (because chronic excess cortisol production messes this up), and normalize/stabalize blood sugar levels (limit the carbs). What happens with carbs is that if you eat enough of the wrong types you will have a blood sugar spike and then the body percieves the drop as a stress and it will produce cortisol. Eating the right type and amount of carbs so as not to produce a big spike is the key so that the body can have a break from stress.

Keep in mind that the hypothalamus and pituitary gland play a role in this puzzle. There is the massive and complex signaling system that includes leptin, insulin, crh, acth, etc, to tell the HPA axis what to do. The hypothalamus signals the pituitary to release the hormone that tells the adrenal glands to produce cortisol.

So I haven't read any of the books written by the docs that propose high carbs for adrenal fatigue, but they must be turning a blind eye to all the other signaling that is going on and needs to work correctly. A body that goes from a state of having a lot of cortisol to a level of low cortisol will feel achy and tired. Getting a spike of cortisol (from the effect of eating carbs) gives one the sense of feeling better because cortisol will suppress the aches and give a burst of energy. Even though it may temporarily feel good it's really just continuing to give the body a stress to respond too.
    Recent gems from MDA contributors I want to keep handy...

woke 7:30ish, a bit more sleep (not much) and got up at 8:30ish
    4 eggs in 2+Tb CO, 2 bkfst cut pork chops, some chorizo salami (Columbus), 1tsp salt

felt hit by a brick wall around 11. Missed ice skating b/c I only wanted to sleep. got about 10m after trying for over an hour, felt better, oddly enough. Took another tsp salt, this time iodized crap just in case the iodine was what did the trick yesterday. Don't know i it improved or just the lightning nap did it. Felt mildly better, increasing as the day went on.

7pm dinner - chicken, salad, honey vinaigrette (quality), jerky.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Woke 7am, bkfst by 7:15, hit slopes at 10. 4 eggs in 1T CO (running out), 5ish oz chorizo & salami. wet mouth wtih OJ.

Dinner at 6 - small handful dried cherries, almonds, cashews, & dark choc chips. Pot roast (trace of potatoes, some tomatoes) - carrots, beef, bacon grease.

Can't believe I've made it through this whole week with no temptation to eat others' junk at all. There is SO MUCH of it, and dessert cooked every day (boxed brownies, etc.) adn I just don't care! At all! Miracle. MIRACLE!!!!

It's so freeing to go skiing at 9 and not need to stop to eat at all, skiing on through 4:30.

My skin is still crazy smooth, but ... I think I've lost all my upper leg hair again! What?! And there seems to be less lower arm hair? Bizarre! I want it back!