Page 63 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 63

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Week 5, Day 2
    BBT -
    hair under 145
    33 days binge-free - tying previous record!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, 65
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes!
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - no snacking yes
    - darkening the house at sunset yes
    - exposure to morning sun yes
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per daymuch less
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading extra TB at bkst

Mg (700mg) -
    D (5000IU) - 6000IU
    HCl - None (going to re-test this in a few weeks)
    Digestive Enzymes - 2 with bkfst, 2 w/ dinner
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) - 1/2T
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SKJ & raw goat liver before bkfst, SK & broth with dinner
    Dairy-free? ghee with dinner, probably some microscopic amount of milk solids
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 4

B - 4 eggs, 2T CO, 5.5oz sausage, 1-2oz raw goat liver

D - SK, broth (chicken, lamb, some wine), shrimp (with drawn butter (ghee)), steak, greens w/ bals vin,

Results
    - energy ~6/10
    - bloat 2/10 morning, felt it kick in right after dinner, 8/10 by bedtime.
    - skin still moderately improved
    - hard time getting to sleep last night, but not forever hard. Woke around 4:30 am and couldn't back to sleep, but wasn't nervous or worried, just waited, and then resigned to getting up around 5:15. Waiting for the zonk to hit. Getting consistent sleep times would be the. greatest. thing.
    - itchy ear last night & this morning
    - Got really hungry around 2:30, then 4:30 (expected - I ate bkfst at 5:30am!), then fine till 6ish, when I started feeling desperate to eat and kind of crave-y, so I started snacking on lamb and taco meat till the steak & shrimp was ready. Felt like eating more and more shrimp (w/ ghee). Maybe I should have, IDK.

I felt the fat burning away in my belly and hips all night last night. I honestly expected to see the scale down 2lbs this morning, but it was up nearly 1lb from yesterday! Little matter. I know the measurements willl show a different story. . Is this the part where the body replaces fat with water, so the scale doesn't move much, and then WHOOSH! out it goes in a few days? Can't wait to see! My mid-section feels GREAT. (except for the bloat) I can feel that the fat in my belly roll, jowls, apples of (face!) cheeks, is much softer and much less there.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Don't you hate it when you're so excited to think someone has responded to your journal and it turns out to be a plagiaristic spammer!

Week 5, Day 3
    BBT -
    hair under 145
    34 days binge-free - it's a new record!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes, 65+
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes
    - no snacking yes
    - darkening the house at sunset
    - exposure to morning sun no
    - 100% primal diet **no**
    - <50g carb per day no, probably around 80
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO NO - definitely had some

Mg (700mg) -
    D (5000IU) - 8000*&
    Digestive Enzymes - 2 with bkfst,
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) -
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SKJ & raw goat liver before bkfst,
    Dairy-free? as far as I know ... wait, could have been butter or milk in the dessert, but probably not, probably bad oils instead
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 5

B - 4 eggs, 2T CO, 5.5oz sausage, 1oz raw goat liver

D - big salad (Caesar, probably processed), a few potato chips (dip, processed), slaw, BBQ pork (definitely sugar & oils in the sauce), 1 very big blondie. 2 or 3 tortilla rounds, salsa & obviously sweetened tomatillo salsa

Results
    - energy 5/10
    - bloat 6/10 morning,
    - skin still moderately improved; face a bit scratchy this morning
    - slept well; 8hrs
    - I felt like the dark lines under my eyes were gone yesterday afternoon, but they are *definitely* there today. DH says they're for sure darker. Dairy?
    - increasingly grumpy & despondent, finally started perking up simultaneous to the bloating easing up a bit mid-afternoon
    - felt nervous about whether I could avoid dessert, ended up having it, and more than I decided to, and kept thinking about it, but far from a binge, and decided to stop, and did. Disappointed in inability to say no 100% to the wheat. I was in a suite at a football game and had no other food available, but certainly could have just eaten veg + meat. AFter the second half of the blondie, I felt the dizziness and very heavy/full stomach, but it seemed to go away kind of quickly. 3hrs later, still feel a wee bit woozy. Very dry.

Measurements are UP today. ! In glut & hip & thigh & calf. Water retention? Shin doesn't feel any water. And wrist is down, as is upper arm. Weird.

What did the bloating last night? Die-off from the broth? Bad reaction to the collards, broth, or ghee? (The ghee was not 100% strained of milk solids, maybe 99.99%.) Could I be that sensitive to milk, yet never have had any kind of IBS like (lactose-intolerant) reaction to it?

Mysteries!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Aila is offline Senior Member
    Hi MG! (I'm not a plagiaristic spammer, promise!!)

I've been following your posts but haven't had time to respond until today. I was especially inspired by your experience with the sensation of the fat burning off!! And, I really just love your positive attitude during your LR process.

I've incorporated some LR concepts into my current plan, thanks to you and your link to Kruse's site.

I am so with you on the mysteries - confounding, eh? I'm trying to sort that stuff out for myself, too. I guess the trick is to just keep at it!

Off to chop down our Christmas tree!
    48 yo single mom
    5'2", goal weight 110lb/50kg
    Healing from a very well-intentioned (but disastrous) near lifelong vegetarianism...

183.0 - CW FIFTY POUNDS RELEASED!
    233 - SW

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Here I am at 4 in the morning, feeling like I just had a huge binge. I had the equivalent of three desserts over two days. More than I wish I had. The "out-of-control" "must have something" feeling lasted just 10-20 minutes the second day, far less than in the past, and resulted in very little damage, but I'm still here waking up at just after 3 am sweating like crazy (even though it's 66 degrees in the house), having spinny thoughts, ENORMOUS swollen belly, feeling discourage,d etc. Almost like it was actually a binge.

well, live and learn. What I've learned is from focusing on what led to me finally feeling susceptible after all these weeks of not feeling that way at all. I felt dismal Saturday when I went to the game, and was in a situation that fed that misery. I already was having big die-off feelings - fatigue, sleepiness, grumpiness, bloated for no reason I could figure out - then went into a suite full of people I didn't know, brought for the purpose of keeping someone company I didn't know, surrounded by food I "couldn't" eat, with a big pain to go through to get food I could. Without the die-off feelings, getting the right food and eating it would have been no problem. But with those going on, I just couldn't cope both with the uncomfortable social situation (very uncomfortable for me when I feel that way) & the nonideal food situation.

I did fine iwth the social situation, lol, since I can force it when needed. Apparently I can't force more than one thing at a time when not feeling my best.

So now I know to look out for tough situations like that *when* I'm feeling crappy already. It was the perfefct storm, and now I know the formula, and if I see something like that come up again, I can know to be prepared and/or avoid it altogether. DH is supportive enough that he would have jujst let me out if we knew ahead of time what would happen.

What will be the long-term effects of having eaten wheat & sugar, even in small, very reasonable quantities? Will it stall my weight loss for another couple weeks? Stop the fat loss? Put me back a week or two on the reset? The latter is almost certain. I tried to talk myself through that, but it only stopped me at one dessert the first night - I forgot about itthe second night (when I had a little leftover "for the kids" that normally I NEVER would have touched - I was even tempted to eat their Halloween candy, but stayed away, thankfully - another huge, unprecedented victory in a situation like this).

I won't restart or subtract on my count, though. I'll just keep it mind when tallying how far in I am at th eend.

Live & learn!

I just did a detox bath and the chlorine was KILLING me. Ugh.

ETA also was out of control with the very sauce-y BBQ pork yesterday and today. I needed lots of protein and that's all that was available. I ate a ton of it.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Week 5, Day 5
    BBT - 97.7
    didn't weigh
    36 days binge-free - it's a new record!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising not even close. Didn't eat during early AM rising, then waited 90m after rising the second time. Feeling rebellious
    - no snacking yes
    - darkening the house at sunset no
    - exposure to morning sun no
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day way less

Mg (700mg) - teaspoon in morning and evening
    D (5000IU) - 12000IU in case I'm sick
    Digestive Enzymes - 2 with bkfst, 1 with dinner
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) -
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SKJ & raw goat liver before bkfst,
    Dairy-free? yes
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 0

B - 2T CO, 9.5oz sausage, 1oz raw goat liver

D - few oz of pork chop. Not much appetite. Mild hunger alternating with nausea.

Results
    - energy 3/10
    - bloat 6/10 morning,
    - skin still moderately improved
    - woke up at freaking 3:15 in the morning and couldn't sleep even when I went back to bed 1.5hrs later. Was awake till at least 5:45. Slept till 10:35.
    - Dark lines less again yesterday despite wheat & processed oil indulgence. Is it really just dairy? Even ghee will do it, but not wheat or soy?

Felt like DEATH today! It was like I felt frequently during the summer - MAD at the world, nauseated, rebellious, not at all wanting to move, headache, fevery at one point, just CRAPPY. I called it a sick day and did school from the couch, directed children making dinner from the couch, Christmas shopped from the couch.

Done. No more of that! Go away!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Hello, toxins polluting my body. I am so grumpy. I feel like beating a wall. And crying. And doing it over agai.

goalgetter28 is offline Junior Member
    Hey there,

Was taking a look at your blog. You're making great progress...this is hard work and you're doing a great job.
    "If at first you don't succeed, try try again." -the little engine that could

Working the 12 steps of OA and healing my body, mind and soul one day at a time.

Thanks for the support, goalgetter - I appreciate it! Checking out your sig ... My biggest recommendation for all struggling with overeating is BIG protein at breakfast. I'm really learning that excessive appetite comes from your body not knowing it has enough fat, b/c it's not hearing the leptin signal that says it has enough. It has been nothing short of a miracle the appetite change that I, and so many others, have seen from that bkfst protein!

Week 5, Day 6
    BBT - 96.somethinglowIforget
    didn't weigh
    37 days binge-free - it's a new record!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising w/i 30m of getting up and moving about. Was confined to couch with sleep-nursing ToddlerGrok before that.
    - no snacking yes
    - exposure to morning sun overcast
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day yes, much less

Mg (700mg) - teaspoon in morning,
    D (5000IU) - 6000IU
    Digestive Enzymes - 2 with bkfst, 2 with dinner
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) -
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SKJ before bkfst, SK with dinner
    Dairy-free? yes
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 1

B - 4 eggs, 2T CO, 5.5oz sausage

D - ham steak + fat, sauerkraut

Results
    - energy 3/10, 7/10 in evening
    - bloat 6.5/10 morning,
    - skin felt slightly worse all over, including trunk sides
    - Baby woke me at 7hrs and I couldn't get back to sleep.
    - Still very, very full midsection. Very.

Felt an amazing, unique burst of energy late last night, then slept soundly.

Less of death-grumpy today, but not feeling great. Muscles, especially legs, but even my neck, feel no longer strong enough to support my body, like a reversal of LS at muscle. This started before the wheat this weekend, though, and that lethargy is part of what led to the wheat. Was that temporary, and I made it last longer? Don't know. I'll just wait it out.

Strong muscle pain in lower right back today, one that I often feel when pregnant (I'm not). Needs stronger pressure than I can give it. It may be from posture on the couch yesterday.

I was very hungry around 4:30, so ate at about 5.. Then I felt horrible and sick again, then after that, felt great for the rest of the evening (except for one emotional outburst). Odd!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-06-2011 at 06:24 PM.

I forgot to mention that some time Saturday, probably in th emorning, I noticed a mystery bruise. Had two Sun night. Had four last night.

I never in my life bruised easily until some time in the last decade. I started noticing then that I got bruises when I did kickboxing - but it was non-combat; it was just from the jarring of the kick into air, I guess. Now, every now and then, I get them despite doing no exercise at all.

I also crunched a lot of ice on Saturday. This comes and goes, as well. I am never, and have never been, anemic. My ferritin is almost past the top end of the lab range. ?!

Week 5, Day 7
    BBT - 97.0, then 97.4, then 98.0, so I have no idea!
    145. Still have a brick feeling in the belly
    38 days binge-free - it's a new record!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising 45m?
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner no lunch, 6+ hrs between bkfst & dinner
    - no snacking yes
    - exposure to morning sun overcast
    - 100% primal diet no - sugar & probably trans fats in the BBQ
    - <50g carb per day yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO probably not

Mg (700mg) -
    D (5000IU) - 6000IU
    Digestive Enzymes - 2 with bkfst, 2 with dinner
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) -
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SKJ before bkfst,
    Dairy-free? yes
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 2

B - 4 eggs, 2T CO, 5.5oz sausage

D - got very hungry at 3:30ish, had leftover brats, steak, shrimp, and a bunch of (commercial) BBQ. Had no need to eat the rest of the day.

several cups of black & green & mint leaf tea

Results
    - energy 6/10
    - bloat 6.5/10 morning, (wait, I've been doing this backward. . 0/10 i sbad; 10/10 is good) xxx 3/10 morning
    - skin still slightly scratchy
    - slept 9hrs, could use more
    - Still brick in belly. Bloating slightly better & lower
    - I had so much "dinner" that my stomach hurt from fullness temporarily, then most iof it was vociferously (& unvoluntarily) evacuated! Always interesting when my body says, "NO THANK YOU!"

Coming from a former food addict, it has been SO SO freeing not needing to eat but two times a day! I can concentrate on and do so much more with my life!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-07-2011 at 05:37 PM.