Page 59 of 138 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 59

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I find that if I don't taste things, I can resist them - but one taste and I can be in trouble.
    This is a hundred times true! I was never able to resist the first bite before, even though I knew what it would mean. I can now. I can look at the cheesecake and say to myself, "One bite means three pieces and being set back a month. No way!!"

I've been forgetting my Mg for over a month. If the RLS happens again, I'll for sure remember it. Thanks for the reminder!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

So I resisted the cranberry chevre, the cranberry stilton, the potato chips, the sweet potatoes, the bacon grease coated green beans, and the ice cream. There's actually almost a relief not having to eat anything but meat. . I filled up on the pernil (Puerto Rican pork shoulder TO DIE FOR), then started cutting slices of birthday cheesecake. One slice and I had to have DaddyGrok do the rest - too tempting!

After everyone was served cheesecake, ice cream, and punch, I had a bitsy sip of the punch (b/c I used cider instead of pineapple juice and wanted to check the flavor) and one bite of cheesecake. It was very good - but not as good as I remember. And I am still debating whether, if given the choice, I'd rather hae one bite of pernil, or one bite of cheesecake.

If it was an unlimited amount, no doubt I'd choose the pernil. No side effects to a bunch of pernil. If it were one full serving, I'm not sure. But just one bite ... was tied earlier, but right now I'm leaning toward the pernil. I just know what one bite means. Even now, I'm dying for the potato chips, and when looking at the cheesecake, mooning for it. It's still different - I can resist today; never been able to do this before - but I'd just as soon lose the mooning feeling.

I'll buckle up extra tight tomorrow - surely cravings will be greater after the one bite, and I have another child's birthday party to get through. Gonna get SweetTeenGrok to make this cake for me, too. Good thing she loves to!

DS1 told the party guests that we were about to have "the greatest food since food was invented." Love pernil! And love primal kids!

It'll be interesting to see if there are any effects from this, bloat-wise. So far, only effects of the mini bit of sugar & dairy are increased cravings - slightly - and I'm staving it off with more pernil, more pork fat (cueritos!!!!), and a little Apollinaris.

Week 3, Day 3
    BBT
    147.25 = 1/4lb down
    20 days binge-free

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising no - 60m+ must. prioritize.
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - no snacking yes
    - darkening the house at sunset yes
    - exposure to morning sun no
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day yes, WAY less
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading

Mg (700mg) -
    D (5000IU) -
    HCl (3/day and working down) - 2 (maxed out!) + 1
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) -
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SK before bkfst & before dinner
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 5

B - 9.5oz sausage & turkey + 1T+ CO
    D - two hamburger patties, SK

Results
    - energy steady 6/10
    - bloat 4/10, moving down
    - skin still rough
    - hair still very sebum-y
    - Slept just under 8hrs, very sleepy by noon

So nota bene: 1 bite of cheesecake and half a sip of punch (mostly fruit juice, bit o' ice cream) = bloated. Not deathly, but definitely. And I'm hungry for lunch today, and very sleepy. Dairy or fruit? Probably dairy. I'd rather give up fruit.

Had a quick nap, interrupted during it, and felt overwhelmingly tired (hard to lift arms) and miserable (weepy for no reason) for about an hour, then recovered. Lunchtime hunger went away during sleep and never returned.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    It usually takes me > 1 hr from waking to breakfast too. I wake early and then take thyroid meds and am supposed to wait an hr, but even so, I am usually doing other things for the rest of the family and just don't get to it w/in 30 min most of the time. No point in stressing about it - I just acccept it and carry on with my life. Have you found this exact breakfast timing to make a difference for you?

I've never tried it, so I don't know, lol. I wanna give it a shot. I appreciate your sage reminder not to stress about it!

HOLY COW HUGE success! I just cooked, served, and watched all the people around me eat cranberry chevre, cranberry stilton (cheeses I LOVE), sparkling fruit juices, fruit & ice cream punch, cake, TJ's potato chips, melted cheddar, sour cream dip they were raving over ... all foods I really enjoy ... and I didn't have a single bite. How? How?! And perhaps weirder, I don't wish I had - often when I managed to white-knuckle it through a special dessert, I ended up wishing I had had it. Not tonight. So glad. I just had the plain burgers and sauerkraut and ate it outside by lonesome DH tending the grill so no one could ask me why there was nothing on my plate, lol.

Wow. Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. Maybe I'm really doing this. !!

I've been praying for a night like this for a decade. Binge, BEGONE.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-19-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Week 3, Day 4
    BBT
    146.5 = 3/4lb down
    21 days binge-free

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising yes!
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - no snacking yes
    - darkening the house at sunset yes
    - exposure to morning sun still overcast
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day way less
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading extra TB at bkfst

Mg (700mg) -
    D (5000IU) - 12000IU
    HCl (3/day and working down) - 1 + 1
    OOO (4 drops) -
    ACV (1T) - yes
    Also: organ pills, broth, ferments: SKJ before bkfst, SK+ with dinner
    Me & BabyGrok wheat-free days: 6

B - 9.5oz sausage, 2T CO, SK
    D - pernil, pernil fat & grease, yum yum yum yum

Results
    - energy steady 6/10
    - bloat 3/10
    - skin still rough
    - hair still very sebum-y
    - Slept just over 8hrs
    - wall of sleepy at 10:30am, didn't let up all day.
    - stomach feels hurt as if over-full after dinner. I did eat probably 8oz of meat, but only kept eating bc I felt like more ... trying to follow my body's lead now that it's a bit wiser ...

Getting very sleepy at 10:30am
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-21-2011 at 09:20 AM.

I knew it would be a good morning when I was at the same weight last night as my morning weight had been, and bloated ... couldn't wait till it went down overnight and I could weight!

My mid-body measurements are all down 1/4" from just yesterday!

Now, mystery - I was quite bloated after dinner last night, which was just SK & (100%, but low-quality) burger. Could have been the fizzy water? I'll make a note of it. Almost all gone by morning, but still the same base level I've had all week + a bit more.

I was feeling very thirsty and drank a cup of still water with 1TB ACV after my big breakfast and now I feel like I have a load of bricks in my stomach and it's bulge-y again. Oh well. Some day I'll figure out what's up with my belly. Gotta do that metametrix GI testing.

I've had, what, 4 or 5 days of loss in a row? Can't remember when that has ever happened.

I'm going in my head over what my FB status will be when I really get down to a happy weight and feel great in the belly - that, of course, will mean most of myhealth issues are over, b/c I've all along stubbornly insisted on focusing on resolving the underlying health issues that cause excess weight, not the weight itself.

"Finally hit my goal weight! 50lb down! That means I have the energy to move again, great mood, great skin, easy breathing, fantastic sleep, smooth joints, and the disappearance of so many other niggling little signs that were ever present before getting my hormonal balance restored!"

I want something that gets the vanity-driven folks interested, but also piques the curiosity about "hey, she didn't just lose weight, but improved her overall health. What's up with that?"

It was painful to see a dear friend's recent declaration of weight loss, followed by friends begging to know her secret. First guess? Bodybugg. Answer? Bodybugg. (and the hunger and crazy exercise it requires on a CW diet)

I want to get in there that I never went hungry and never exercised, too, lol. Maybe in the comments.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Weeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird night last night.

TMI: no need to read; this is for my own records. I have written in super secret hidden color to protect you from it, mwahahahahahahahahaha! I was very bloated by bedtime (5-6mo pg), although it didn't look as bad as before last week b/c of weight loss, and the distension felt very uncomfortable, almost painful. After about 5m of lying down, I started to feel slightly nauseated and my head stopped concentrating on one subject and my legs started twitching - violently once or twice. The nausea increased slightly but distinctly, and it /felt like my belly was in knots - not sharp like gas pains, dull but not mild, with a weird sensation of motion although I didn't feel the sharp pains of peristalsis. No gurgling. Felt bruised, too. I had the thought that I should go to the bathroom and wait for what was coming, but couldn't drag myself out of bed b/c I was so very tired from the missing hour of sleep I had been unable to catch up on the last two days. Very soon, I realized that the rejection of whatever it was was successful and I would need to get to the bathroom soon. As soon as I had that thought (which meant my body had done what it needed to do as far as moving things along), sleep hit me like a truck and next thing I knew, it was 2AM. I still had the same feeling of needing to go, so I went and the movement was wholly liquid, frothy, but didn't burn. My mind was clear, but the dreams had been weird, very weird, but familiar, but I couldn't remember them. I was still bloated. Some serious almost pimple-like bumps on my legs just below and to the outside of the knees.

Non-TMI summary: my mind was crazy; my body was very bloated and nauseated and restless until I got out what was in there at 2AM.

In the morning, bloating was less than it's been in a very, very long time. Maybe 2mo pg.

Was it Communion? I had suspected so on the bloating, and decided to try just one more week before seeking another alternative for Holy Communion, but after the whole experience, not sure I want to try even once more. OTOH, with how low the bloating is this morning, maybe it was an inevitable event, a positive last rejection of what had long been in there, or maybe a positive result of finally catching up on HCl? Too much HCl?

The legs clearing up make this lean more towards die-off than a gluten reactions?
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-21-2011 at 09:21 AM.