Page 48 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 48

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I really didn't feel much like eating lunch today. Had chicken salad and a salad that wasn't much protein, and I still had to force down a lot of it.

And I didn't feel like dinner at all. ?! LR at work? I ended up having most of a container of the TJ's salsa/gazpacho 9and didn't get the insta-bloat this time, although I'm clearly bloated tonight more than this morning), but just don't feel like eating much of anything else.

I *am* feeling a little crave-y, an da little concerned about this weekend (we're going to end up at a Quincy's buffet, yippee.). Here's hoping for the best, while planning everything so I can maximize my chances of success!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    thought I'd answer you back here about the omega 3/6 issues - the leptin thread is huge! I was surprised too because of the big fuss that most paleo people make about grassfed. The Jaminets don't make a big deal about it, they eat both grassfed and conventional beef. Conventional still has antibiotics and hormones, but personally I am not so sure that is such a big issue anyways.

What I saw was that since PUFAs are so small in beef compared with chicken and pork, really, you are doing well to minimize your fatty chicken and pork and eat beef. Pastured pork and free range chicken are better, but they just naturally have more PUFAs in their fat than beef does - but the pasturing gives a better O3/6 ratio. I tend to lean pork and chicken and introduce fat with beef tallow and CO.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Thanks for the info! I have no intention of lowering the amount of pork fat I eat unless I *know* the amount of omega 6 in it is a problem, so I better do some diggin', lol. Seriously, it is so nourishing to me, makes me feel so good. Chicken fat does nothing of the sort. If you have any leads on that specific question - whether the omega 6:3 ratio in pastured pork is a problem - I'd love them!

On the question of beef hormones, I started my cycles at age 11. My daughter at 13 hasn't yet - much closer to the historical biological norm of 14-16. I don't know if avoiding conventional beef & dairy is the reason why, but I'm not willing to take the chances unless I can find some other reason. I didn't go high fat and low grain with our diet until she was 11, and it seems unlikely that would have been able to make the difference. We switched to organic beef & dairy when she was 9, and gradually made the transition to eating fully traditional foods and going high fat, low grain, over the next 3 years.

I would love to know *facts* about these things! It's so hard to keep guessing! Our parents and grandparents threw so much out like bad trash and we're having to dig and dig to try to replicate a natural, normal human diet and a lifestyle that can be biologically appropriate, but lived in the modern world at the same time! The baby definitely went out with the bathwater.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Thanks for the info! I have no intention of lowering the amount of pork fat I eat unless I *know* the amount of omega 6 in it is a problem, so I better do some diggin', lol. Seriously, it is so nourishing to me, makes me feel so good. Chicken fat does nothing of the sort. If you have any leads on that specific question - whether the omega 6:3 ratio in pastured pork is a problem - I'd love them!

On the question of beef hormones, I started my cycles at age 11. My daughter at 13 hasn't yet - much closer to the historical biological norm of 14-16. I don't know if avoiding conventional beef & dairy is the reason why, but I'm not willing to take the chances unless I can find some other reason. I didn't go high fat and low grain with our diet until she was 11, and it seems unlikely that would have been able to make the difference. We switched to organic beef & dairy when she was 9, and gradually made the transition to eating fully traditional foods and going high fat, low grain, over the next 3 years.

I would love to know *facts* about these things! It's so hard to keep guessing! Our parents and grandparents threw so much out like bad trash and we're having to dig and dig to try to replicate a natural, normal human diet and a lifestyle that can be biologically appropriate, but lived in the modern world at the same time! The baby definitely went out with the bathwater.
    Like you, I started at 11 and so did my oldest daughter. My sisters were all 13-15 before they started. I know I was heavier and so was my daughter when she started. Lead me down the path of a lot of health issues as well. Interesting to see where that goes.
    Georgette

My interesting weekend (very summed up, b/c I just lost the post once and don't feel like doing it again):

Wed - was that the day I was DEAD zombie tired?
    Thu - a little craving-y. didn't feel like eating lunch or dinner, iirc.
    Fri - ditto, ditto, spent first half of day DEAD tired, then it just lifted slowly, just gone. Bit of dizziness and orthostatic hypotension on waking. Ketosis again? I haven't had it the last few times I dipped into ketosis.
    Sat - ditto, ditto (but ate lots anyway, to avoid bingeing that night), VERY light-headed and palpitations and low BP feelings. Had some chunky sea salt in water, seemed to help. Rpt at lunch.
    Sun - no more low BP symptoms, since I carbed out last night.

Dinner Saturday was to be a buffet, followed by tons of snacks out all night at the house. Normally a recipe for disaster. I loaded up on salad, then meat, then finally hit the desserts, no matter, that I could tell, than others, although more than I wished I had had. (AH, the oils make me feel HORRIBLE!) I kept wanting to go back to that dessert bar, but vanity & bad (good!) timing kept me from it.

At the house, I just had a little, and then stopped, b/c I wanted to stop many hours from bedtime. Amazing that I could make that rational decision. Another dear family member could not - again and again and again to the M&Ms. My heart remembers that so well and I was feeling so sad that anyone has to be there! (Heck, I was there at the buffet but for some reason was able to stop before the house snacks, maybe b/c I had done such a good job stuffing myself with meat & salad, lol?)

Another buffet on Sunday. I took the same strategy and it was fine. Again, not a binge on dessert, although more than I wanted to choose and more htan left me feeling good - but nO BINGE!

And today, back to the old grind. I did have some Larabar after dinner, feeling a need to taper off the sugar. That always seems to help.

Why is it that dried fruit makes my head spin but a pile of Quincy's desserts does not?
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-04-2011 at 06:19 AM.

I just realized I'm down to a 6lb weight loss in the last 10 months. Sheesh! Someone call the record books!

Or, on the bright side, a 6lb gain in the last 6 months. Dancing for glee.

Okay, really, the bright side is no binges in 22 days, with little effort. Ah, I always start feeling discouraged when my belly gets bloated, and it is WAY bloated right now.

I ate a bit of nuts & raisins last night - maybe a serving - and felt the bloating start. Well, I should say, felt the bloating intensify, from like 4m to 6m pg. :P

And I made the huge, huge mistake this morning of getting up after only 8hrs sleep. Feel. like. death.

Just lost my stinking post. Short version:

measurements back to same as 143 everywhere except hip through thigh, which still has 1 - 1.5" to go.

Good eating this week, good timing. One dessert today, which increased my giddiness at thoughts of sugar again, but I was still able to make a rational choice not to eat anything else sweet or fruity today, so doubt my carbs went over 100.

My nose got inflamed inside last Friday, maybe after Mexican cheese/corn? Back to the way it was all my life till the first time i went grain and sugar free. I panicked, since I had to sing at a funeral today and I can't sing well like that - losing that changed my voice incredibly for the better! So I held off on all non-primal foods, but then it came back on Tuesday. Tomatoes? Okra? Butter? None of that makes sense. I decided to eat nothing but the simplest meat & veggies & olive oil & coconut oil until the funeral, and sniffed some cayenne last night, lol, and had a good voice again today. Dunno what it was.

Well, ... here we go again. Serious binge last night. I apparently will never be able to make my children's birthday cakes again.

Right now, 12 hours later, my ears are throbbing, I'm sweating up a storm, can't sleep, heart rate around 90 (normally <60), ear itches ... last night blood sugar was 160 2hrs after the binge ended.

I am going to try with everything that is in me and all that is in Heaven above to stick to this leptin protocol for 8 weeks. I, my dear husband, my children, need me to do this. And I'm going to use my Sweet BabyGrok as inspiration - at 20mo, her "diaper" rash is worse than ever. It never really goes away now. 100% gluten free, even if I mess up elsewhere. I'm going to get extended family on board, too - no sneaking her treats, and no offering them to me, b/c she's still nursing.

I am not going to worry about the other aspects of primal living for now.

So here we go.

Week 1, Day 1 - 0 days binge-free
    Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein 3 eggs in 1T CO, 4oz ham steak
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising w/i 45mNo, b/c I spent an hour in a detox bath first. Will do next, and plan not to eat again today until I'm hungry, using CO if any sugar urges crop up. I seriously just think that letting yesterday turn into a 2lb weight gain by eating normally today will send me into a discouragement to deep to reach out of.
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch 3hrs no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner 6hrs
    - 3.5+ hrs between Dinner and bedtime
    - no snacking
    - darkening the house at sunset
    - exposure to morning sun
    - 100% primal diet
    - <50g carb per day
    - no PUFA's. Okay, just a few. fCLO.
    - teaspoon of coconut oil if I start fading

NM I'll start Sunday. I had to frost the cake today and tomorrow will be cutting fruit and stuff and Saturday is ds's birthday party. I tried, but just couldn't avoid today. This is going to end up a 5lb gain, but if that's the worst that comes from it and I can get started on the LR again solidly, then it'll turn out alright.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-25-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    18hrs post-binge, and my BP is 74/50something, heart rate is almost back to normal, ears are still throbbing. I feel somewhat stiff all over, very dry. I sweated all night, took a detox bath and sweated for an hour more - DRIPPING. My earring is irritating my ears - hasn't done this in a LONG time. Hmmm...? And I had those irritating little bubbles in the mucosa of my cheeks - haven't had that in a long time, either. There were lots of them.

I gave each of the kids a small piece of unfrosted cake yesterday - 6yo ds has real and actual pimples all around his mouth today. What?!

ETA blood sugar is 96, almost 5hrs after no-carb breakfast and 18hrs post-binge. Egad.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-25-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Page 48 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast