Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 4

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    We don't keep any junk in our house except for ice cream (I make dh keep flavors I hate, lol), and only Ezekiel & ww sourdough bread (doesn't tempt me). It's stuff like chips I bought for a party at someone else's house, or grabbing a piece of cake in the store and scarfing it before anyone sees me. RIdiculous! Total addict behavior! I did NOT miss this stuff when it was out of my life!

It's certainly not as bad as it was, but when I know that I can't be trusted to go into a grocery store alone, I'm in a bad place. But getting better.

ITA wrt always eating good stuff with the bad when the bad is "unavoidable."

I really appreciate your thoughts. It's helpful just to know someone is listening, and very helpful to have ideas to keep me thinking and changing things up.

ETA The cake was not stolen, lol - paid for, then scarfed ... or scarfed and then paid for ... hidden only from my family.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Soooooooooooooo, uh, yesterday didn't turn out so well. Well, there's only one thing to do - eat primally one HOUR at a time!

6:30-7am - ate nothing!
    7-8am - 3 eggs in 1T CO, 1oz raw pepper colby cheese, flustered b/c baby woke earlier than usual, a little movement
    8-9 - ate nothing, sat on my rear.
    9-10 - ate nothing, sat on my rear.
    10-11 - ate nothing, sat on rear & drove to farmer
    11-12 - ate nothing, picked up weekly farm goods, shopped @ TJ's
    12-1 - a bunch of bean dip (avocado, blk bns, sr crm, chs, salsa). I fully expect tummy rumblies, but at least it wasn't grains or sugar. When I'm totally PB, I stay away from any beans I don't make myself. Chicken salad. Mostly driving & sitting nursing.
    1-2 - finished lunch with greek yogurt & freeze-dried blueberries. Sat on rear.
    2-3 - ate nothing. Stood prepping dinner.
    3-4 - wanted to eat. Mostly sat nursing.
    4-5 - bite of cheesy egg left over from kids' breakfast. Folded and put away laundry, so some movement there.
    5-6 - more slooooow movement around the house.
    6-7 - more dinner prep, can't remember what else - but not enough time to stop and record the last & next few hours
    7-8 - Dinner! Steak & kidney pie, big salad, crowder peas (in bacon grease w/ pork shank), crenshaw melon. I broke down and made a crust for the pie ... it was heavenly ... white flour & tallow & butter. Flaky goodness. Sorry for any temptations I'm putting out there. I guess I should regret it. I guess I do, b/c my stomach was starting to feel a little better and it's fully bloated again. My kids LOVEd the s&k pie, though, so it was worth it for them.
    8-9 Getting family pics taken by Olan Mills for church directory. Bleh. I tried to force dh not to buy a picture of just the two of us, but he insisted. Bleh bleh bleh. I hate the bloated face I have now. BLEHHHHHSADFALHFALSDKJHF! Hmm... feeling a little down on my appearance, huh? Heh.
    9-10 Putting all to bed. Sitting & nursing like most of the day, lol. Feeling bloated and wanting to run.

The peas came in my CSA box. I've seen some say no peas. Please educate me. I need to know why in order to remember it and to buy it. TIA!

OKAY, who can tell me what else you can make a good pie crust with? Coconut flour? Sorghum flour? Wait, I guess that's a grain ... anything?

Gah, I sit on my rear a lot.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Well, I made it almost the whole day. .Too many carbs for my goals, but better. I think tomorrow I'm gonna go for the gold. Back to "<50g carb & no fruit that's not berries or in season." I can do it! I can do it! I must do it for my sanity! I HATE HATE HATE being overweight! The way it feels SUCKS!!!

Bubbly all night, huge gut still this morning. At least by this point I *know* it's bloating. I used to just think I had a huge stomach. (Amazing, since I used to pride myself on my super flat stomach. Grains never really affected me till after the many antibiotic rounds about 5-8 years ago. I think that my real problem is compromised gut flora and until that is totally healed, I'll never be able to eat them w/o repercussions, small or large, again.)

7-8 3 eggs in 1T CO, 1oz pepper colby
    8-9 ate nothing, mostly sat on rear
    9-10 ate nothing, mostly sat on rear. :/
    10-11 some housework, drove on rear.
    11-12 paced a bit and sat some more while dd auditioned for play
    12-1 drove home and sat on rear, lol.
    1-2 Lunch - chicken salad, a little PB & J in a bowl, big salad, goat cheese w/ honey. On rear.
    2-3 a bit of ds's yogurt w/ a wee bit of emergen-C in it. Sat on rear.
    3-4 Ran up stairs twice! Hurrah! Spent the rest of the hour cleaning kitchen.
    4-5 cleaned kitchen more, then sat. No eating.
    5-6 walking around making dinner.
    6-7 ate some butter and some potato while making dinner, then started Dinner - big salad (homemade o/v dressing), t-bone, mushrooms in butter, potato salad (skin-on, fermented pickle relish, o/v/dry mustard, mayo, green beans), finished off with crenshaw melon.

How primal is that?

7-8 finished eating, cleaned up dinner, sat & fed bebe.
    8-9 sat, then walked ... I'm off to do that now!... okay, didn't, see below.
    9-10 sat on rear. w/ dh, thought, so yay! And the end of the day - my gut feels infinitely better!!!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-29-2010 at 07:28 PM.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    OK time for a positive intervention -- today your day is PERFECT so far! at least with the eating Now get off the computer and go run up and down the stairs twice!! See, doesn't that feel better? <grin>

I like your idea of hourly 'checks' ... I may do that once my project is turned in in 2 weeks. I mostly sit on my rear at work, but trying to get up and move around at least a little bit each hour! I KWIM about the tummy bloat - I accidentally ate some noodles Tuesday night (forgot I can't test for done-ness by eating them anymore!) - 2 measly noodles and I'm bloated for days. damn grains. I think you are right about the gut flora -- there's this nice "quiet" feeling in my lower gut when I've been really clean in my eating, but once I eat something that feeds the little buggers it's like I can FEEL them growing down there.

OK, now I've grossed myself out

Will do. As soon as Ms. Grokling finishes her nursiness. Fully expect to feel like dying after sprinting up the stairs, lol!

I still think of myself as this totally fit girl who could sprint five flights like nothing. Five years of sugar addiction'll kinda take that out o' ya. Denial, anyone?

Thanks - I really appreciate the inspiration and will take you up on the challenge!

Between homeschooling, paying bills, ordering stuff, researching, keeping an online food journal, online calendar, ... I sit a LOT. I keep trying to put my computer on the sideboard for a stand-up station, but can't/won't nurse standing up and typing at the same time, lol.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-29-2010 at 07:28 PM.

I was going to take a walk tonight but Ms. Grokling needed to nurse during the allotted time. Then I was going to start SimpleFit, but she woke up. Such is life!

The good news is, I feel MUCH better. Bloating is nearly gone after just a day. It'll probably take a few more days to be normal again, but I'm feeling sooooo much better already, and that's enough to get me off on good footing for getting back to PB. I think I'll do another strict 30 day challenge starting August 1.

Oh, and the stair sprinting didn't feel like death, or anywhere close. Hurrah for that.

Here we go again! If I can power through another day without grains or more than 50g carbs, then it'll be easy enough again that I won't have to power through, but can just do it. So here's to today, and taking it one hour at a time, one more time!

A goal: stand when I'm not nursing.

6:30-7 3 eggs in 1T CO, 1+ oz pepper cheese, about 2 oz slightly soured raw milk.
    7-8 sitting/walking, ate nothing (morning meditation, kitchen cleaning)
    8-9 sitting/walking, ate nothing. moved computer to standing position again
    9-10 cleaning, walking, ate nothing.
    10-11 sit & do school, ate nothing.
    11-12 sit & do school, ate nothing.
    12-1 ate big salad, leftover steak & kidney no-pie (need to get in a habit of using toaster oven to reheat instead of microwave), *little* bit of each of the following: potato-green-bean salad, kids' buttery grits, melon. Probably about one total starchy serving.
    1-2 finished up lunch with greek yogurt & some blueberries. Drove and walked a little little bit. I'm finding I'm preferring to eat more at lunch and not need a snack later. I don't know if it's physical or psychological - losing the fear of accidentally eating something crazy & mindlessly mid-afternoon.
    2-3 drove and sat
    3-4 sat and drove
    4-5 drove and ambled
    5-6 sat, then ambled
    6-7 kitchen ambling, ate some butter and ~~ raw cream
    7-8 Dinner - big salad, farmer-made Polish sausage w/ peppers & onions, creamed spinach, ~melon. Toddler Shoveled the bebe & jumped rope for <1m with the kids!
    8-9 Walk 2mi w/ bebe on my back.
    9-10 sit!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-30-2010 at 06:13 PM.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Good morning you're doing great! Yeah, one thing I loved about nursing was that it was an awesome excuse to LIE DOWN. 45 minutes to nurse? sure!!! LOL. and, actually, producing all that milk is a big demand on your body, almost as good as a workout in itself

Let's see... challenge for the day. I know! Turn your kids into a Hammerglove!!
    1. Toddler toss: hold toddler at arms length in front of you. Lift over head, with a little toss at the end. I would advise AGAINST doing this until failure though, in the best interest of said toddler
    2. Toddler Shovel: Hold toddler at your side, lunge forward with one leg and scoop toddler towards the floor, with a little flip up at the end. Switch sides, repeat.
    3. Airplane (can be done with any size child depending on your leg and ab strength): lie on your back. Lift your legs in a "chair" position and have child lie down on your legs, holding your hands. Straighten legs, lift them, swing side to side, and zoom that kid around until your legs are burning and you both collapse in a giggling heap

I did this with my 5yo the other day and was sore for 2 days, and we both laughed hysterically the whole time.

Ready, set, go!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So funny, I love your baby exercises! I tried to Toddler Toss my 3yo (35lb) - FAIL, lol, but I did manage to hold him with my arms partially straightened and toss him, then hold partially straightened and straighten them for a second with no toss. Can work up to that by starting with the baby.

Will do Toddler Shovel affter lunch if I can figure out what it looks like! And Airplane is always a favorite; I can do all five of them.

Good thing bf'ing counts, since I've been doing it for 12 years nonstop now. !!

Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast