Page 37 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 37

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been waking up with a dull soreness in my teeth most of the time I've been whole 30'ing it, so I'm adding butter oil (like ghee, but raw) back in today. I can't risk not having enough fat-soluble vitamins, not with the history of enamel defects in my nursing babes. I'm choosing butter oil instead of ghee or butter b/c I really do hate the taste, lol. That helps me know I'm not doing b/c of cravings or taste reasons, and keeps me from overdoing it.

Whole40 Day 21: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
    B - 2 HCl, 3 eggs in CO, bit o' butter oil

L - 3 HCl, bite of roast beef, chicken sausages, bit of butter (baby was dragging it around the room and making a mess and I just cleaned it up the fastest way I could w/o thinking, lol), some sun dried mtrs, 3 garlic-stuffed olives, bit of coconut water, beef broth.

S - 1 HCl, fish stew, pint of salsa. Oops.

D - 2 HCl, full, but ate primal shepherd's pie & butternut souffle anyway.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    yes, yes

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
    no, no, no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
    10hrs!!! I had no idea I was still missing that much sleep. I can't believe I slept that long. WIthout even trying. And here I am at 3pm and wanting to sleep again. What?!
    Overcast, no, Latin, etc.

I dreamed about sweets last night. Darn it. Seems like every time I have the slightest bit of carb at all, I get back into cravings land. I was still in ketosis (by the strips, anyway) last night, but had dessert dreams overnight. Grk.

Gut felt really good today, until dinner. :P

8 HCl, no B12, 6000 IU D
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-30-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Ugh, so full from dinner. Ate way too much. And butter and a bit of yogurt. IDK. Are the butter/yogurt cravings a sign I need those nutrients (b/c it's not like I'm loading up on fish roe or liver, even though I do have some liver & fCLO), or just cravings I should ignore? I'm trying to decide if I should let the butter back in for the rest of Lent, or just hold tight. Hrm.....

Aila is online now Senior Member
    Hi MamaGrok!

You know, I really get all twisted around about the question of whether a craving is a sign you need particular nutrients, or a sign that you're allergic to that substance. I don't have an answer to offer you here, just relating that I've struggled with sorting that out, and I know that both "explanations" are given for cravings. When I was a little girl, I loved ACV. My mom asked the doc, and the doc said, "Don't worry about it, she obviously needs it." So, that explanation makes sense to me quite often. OTOH, I surely have craved things that aren't so good for me, and that surely my body is not "needing"!

I'm doing ghee for Lent. Covers most purposes I'd otherwise use butter for. I do think that likely, after Lent, I'm still going to be doing a lot less dairy. Even if lactose is not a problem, it does seem that casein can be pretty addictive...

I'm totally rooting for you! Seems like lots of folks who started with the March Whole30 have dropped out (or stopped posting), so I'm glad to see a few of us still sticking with it!
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I asked myself that question too, and I've decided for me my dairy cravings aren't good ones. It so clearly has a bad effect on my body, adn the more I eat the more i want. Seems to me that if it is nutrients I need then it'd settle down over time. However I think when I am dairy free I may crave it for nutrients too, but I will just have to find other ways to get those nutrients because dairy (even raw, goats etc) so clearly disagrees with me. Having been eating sugar but not dairy for the last couple of weeks, it seems a fair amount of the symptoms I was blaming on sugar, especially poor sleep, is actually down to dairy (I always slipped on both together, with ice cream and dairy desserts).

I think how you feel when you eat it is a good sign- do you feel good, as in your body is saying "Phew, yeah, got that stuff I needed at last, feels good".
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I asked myself that question too, and I've decided for me my dairy cravings aren't good ones. It so clearly has a bad effect on my body, adn the more I eat the more i want. Seems to me that if it is nutrients I need then it'd settle down over time. However I think when I am dairy free I may crave it for nutrients too, but I will just have to find other ways to get those nutrients because dairy (even raw, goats etc) so clearly disagrees with me. Having been eating sugar but not dairy for the last couple of weeks, it seems a fair amount of the symptoms I was blaming on sugar, especially poor sleep, is actually down to dairy (I always slipped on both together, with ice cream and dairy desserts).

I think how you feel when you eat it is a good sign- do you feel good, as in your body is saying "Phew, yeah, got that stuff I needed at last, feels good".
    I've thinking about this issue of craving, and your post really straightens things out for me. I know that cravings are often the body crying out for something it needs--but how to distinguish that from cravings for sugar or chocolate and the like, which are obviously not great sources of vitamins and nutrients. But the idea that if you eat it more, and carve it more, it's not an actual need seems about right.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

When I first allowed myself to eat fat three years ago, I went crazy with butter. I was having almost a stick a day, plain, for a month. Then I hit a wall with it and just didn't want it anymore. Not even a little bit plain. With stuff, sure, but not in excess. So I know that after going fat-less for a decade, I desperately needed the fat, and in particular, the A, D, K2 that comes with it.

But whether that's the case anymore, I don't know. I know I need those vitamins for my teeth, and that my nurslings especially do. And I'm not getting roe, regular raw liver, regular raw pastured egg yolks, either. I feel kinda crazy when thinking of my butter and (again, totally fermented) yogurt, but then, I did back in the butter days, too, lol.

I think I'll stick with a good dose of butter oil for the rest of the whole40, and see if the cravings subside. If butter oil (which has no lactose, whey, or casein) does it, I'll know it's nutrients. If the cravings are still there, I'll still be guessing, lol.

It *is* an interesting thought whether, when I sink my teeth into it, I think, "WHEW I needed that" vs "must have more more mroe more moremore!!!!" I'll have to think on that!

Thanks for the thoughts, y'all - it seriously really helps to have someone to bounce things off of!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I was the same with red meat when I went primal. I already ate lots of protein and regular red meat but I went steak crazy for a few weeks. Then for a while after that I didn't fancy steak at all and now I wouldn't want it more than once a week. Cheese however, I can never get enough lol. In the words of my favourite music artist "You can never get enough of what you don't really need" lol
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I think I did the exact same thing. STEAK. Now I'd rather have ham steak these days than beef steak. Weird!

Whole40 Day 22: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

refused to weigh today.

Food
    B - IF. Still totally full from the brick I ate last night.

L - Like an idiot, I ate more brick. Leftover shepherd's pie (lots of butter) and loads of butternut souffle (lots of butter and starchy squash). Seriously feel like I've been to a Christmas party with a huge buffet of baked goods. Is it the winter squash or the butter? Don't know, but suspect the former. I'll do it more scientifically (just butter) another day.

D - 3 HCl, I think. Chicken soup, some butternut souffle (just a little, b/c I love going to bed feeling like a brick).

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    no (bricks), yes

yes, no, no

8hrs, Overcast, no, no

Gut felt really good today, until lunch. :P I'm impressed with the recovery. Hoping to be so lucky tomorrow. And not quite so stupid.

6 or 7 HCl, no B12

Whole40 Day 23: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

still too full to weigh

Food
    B - 2 HCl, 3 eggs in CO

L - 3 HCl, fish stew.

S - yogurt & butter. Yeah, not so whole30. Done.

D - 3 HCl, full, but ate scallops in greens & brussels sprouts in butter anyway. STUFFED.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    no, yes

no, no, no

9hrs, no, no, no

Stuffed and stupid.

8 HCl, no B12, 6000 IU D

Felt a sensation like water dropping on my foot several times during the day. I think I need to get to the chiropractor; there's all kinds of sciatica stuff going on in that leg these days. I've been trying to wear cute shoes too often lately. Of all the things the feminists tried to do for us, all I REALLY want is for makeup and high heels to go away, 'K?

Aila is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi MamaGrok,

Okay, I just started an April Whole30 thread - I know there's at least you and me, and hopefully others will join in!

Hmmm, seems like your butter and yogurt experiment is yielding important information for you...

I never wear high heels. Well, almost never. Only for the very fanciest of occasions. They're evil, really. Same with makeup, only the teensiest bit for work, and a bit more for special occasions. It's definitely the tyranny of "you're not beautiful, sexy, tall, etc etc enough the way you are..."

Take care of your leg, too. Legs are kinda important, you know?
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich