Page 32 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 32

Mamaof4 is offline Junior Member
    Ha! Lol! Gotta love typing on a phone! I really must proofread. At least it gave me a good laugh!
    No grains at all (only almonds and coconut flour), no sugar (only stevia and xylitol), no honey, very little fruit (drink a green smoothie with fruit a few times a week), and nuts pretty regular though not everyday (either raw or in homemade almond butter).
    I am back down to 160 again. I do have a little more energy, but have horrible constipation (not a new thing for me, but seems to be worse than normal).
    I am eating lots of good fats, veggies and try to get lots of protein (new to me because I was a veggie). Typically east either a smoothie or eggs for breakfast if I feel like eating. A salad with chicken for lunch. A piece of meat our seafood with veggies or salad for supper. Made some coconut oil "candies" to get more coconut oil because I just can't handle eating it straight. I use the raw oil for all my cooking too.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Borrowing DaddyGrok's computer for a minute...

I decided ash Wednesday would be a great time to start a whole 40, lol. 40 days of giving up some otherwise good things (namely butter and well fermented Kefir) for a greater physical and spiritual good. Perfect timing.

So yesterday ...

No bkfst

Lunch was half a can of coconut milk and salmon salad ... just kept adding things ...mayonnaise, baconnaise, Redbud capers, yellow bell, dilly beans, Dijon, coconut milk ...

Dinner was mixed sauteed seafood and veggies. Lots of pernil fat.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Sometime last week I hit 145.25 and then back bouncing around between 146 and 148. Yesterday I was 145.75 and today I feel like I'm probably at 145. But I'm doing whole30 legit this time - no scale, no measurements, no dairy (not even butter or very fermented yogurt or kefir). Just to see.

I'm re-doing GAPS intro starting Monday. Just me, not the kids this time. I really want to work on healing myself. It's so hard keeping track of everyone, so I'm focusing on me, but still doing GAPS 98% of the time with them, just not intro.

Whole40 Day 2: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
    B - 3 eggs in 1T CO

L - beef roast slices wrapped in romaine w/ bell pepper & baconnaise

D - steak & kidney no-pie. REALLY delicious. I did pour a bottle of beer in it (boiled the alcohol off) and then dd reminded me that beer was made from grains. Oops. At least it's fermented. No biokult. Lots of fermented sauerkraut. Mixed greens in pernil grease, lemon juice, etc. Loved this meal so much I went back and had more and hour later, and then an hour after that, finally feeling sated halfway through the third dinner. LOL. Wonder what's up with that.

Bloated right after dinner like the last few nights, but feeling much better now, unlike the last few nights (last night was better, but not as much). Only culprit for bloating tonight: ferments, beer sans alcohol, carrots?

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    yes.

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy Things, Sprint
    a bit, no, no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
    8hrs + 30m nap (have a cold), no, no, taught history

Whole40 Day 2: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
    B - 3 eggs in 1T CO

L - albacore tuna salad on salad w/ baconnaise

D - Looked for something that didn' tneed much modifying at a restaurant, got oysters (taste like sewer water, bleh) and cajun shrimp on spinach salad w/ red bell & avocado. I asked them to hold th ebacon (Lent), cotija cheese (whole30), & dressing (sugar), and bring me real olive oil & vinegar instead, whcih they gladly did!

No bloating after dinner! And I'm feeling very cheery and energetic. It started yesterday evening when I looked at a huge flight of stairs and instead of wearily urging myself on, one step at a time, I looked impatiently at them and bounded up two at a time like I always used to. I thought the difference was being overweight, but all the way up until ... yesterday ... it still took everything within me to climb stairs. Llike a switch. I had a glimpse into that a few months ago, but it went away. I expect this may, too, but at least the windows into the kind of energy I used to have are getting closer together.

Wow, what a difference. One day, stairs are an enormous burden, then next, something to bound up, get out of the way, and move on to the next hing in my life! Like a switch turned on an doff.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    Not sure - one instance of heartburn about two hours after dinner - there must have been *something* in there.

a bit, no, no

8hrs, no, got to socialize some and played a gig with the alumni band, no.

Oh! and they had free cheesecake and key lime pie at the gig for the band and holy cow I didn't eat some! I knew they would be made from crap, bu tthe cheesecake really looked good. So I had DaddyGrok test it for me (he has no carb addiction tendencies whatsoever) and he said it was really not good, could only finish half a piece, and had a weird feeling in his stomach later. So I had to talk myself down from it, seriously picturing the loads of hydrogenated oils that must have been in it to make DG say it tasted and felt so bad, and that really helped - imagining th eoils in my head and also the heartburn and bloating that would follow really helped the consequences come to the forefront in my head. I was wishing I had had some, but now I'm really glad I didn't. Usually when I miss a good dessert I regret it for days, but this ... nah, this wasn't a good dessert worth missing.

I realized when I went to bed last night that I was actually bloated, but didn't have that feeling like something was pressing out from within and didn't have the foul mood and fatigue that usually accompanies it, of course. Still bloated this morning but the rest of me feels great.

Great moment from last night ... someone I don't think I've seen in fifteen years since college saw daddygrok and me at the gig and said we looked great and he didn't think we'd changed a bit. That's something that absolutely could not have been said about me a year ago!

Whole40 Day 3: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
    B - 3 eggs in 1T CO

L - roast beef, lettuce, sauerkraut

D - ham steak, brussels sprouts & mushrooms in pernil & bacon grease

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    yes

some, yes, no

7.5hrs + 1hr nap, yes!, no, no. Nice conversations with dh, though.

Felt drugged all day. I don't know why. Very bloated, very lethargic, not at all chipper anymore. Switch turned back off. It's so discouraging. I knew at this point I wouldn't be able to stick to my plan for Sunday (ds's birthday party).

Whole40 Day 4: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Today is my one planned cheat day of the whole40.

Food
    B - 2 eggs, sausage.

L - chili (no meat or toppings, lots of veggies). Two pieces of Costco Crap Cake, a whole mess of (all natural, blah blah blah) ice cream.

D - Chili, sour cream, a little cheese, a little ice cream

Aaaaand the symptoms, starting with near immediate pulse racing, moving to an hour later and stretching through the evening, in this order: can hardly stay awake while driving, pulse at 120 for over an hour, sweating, parched, exhausted, can't think logically about what to eat and start being ridiculous and end up wtih a huge, uncomfortable belly, have to open watchband one hole.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    no.

yes, yes, no

7hrs, some, no, no

And back to healing tomorrow.

Ate nothing but chicken soup (with veggies, and one sausage patty ) all day , for three meals and a few snacks. Some ginger-lemon tea and some water.

Gaps intro again! And all is automatically whole30c compliant by its nature.

Had a sign this morning that I may be detoxifying better than in the past after eating crap
    Wont go into the details, tmi.

Belly happier after just one meal today. Bloated late afternoon though, as usual.

Aila is offline Senior Member
    Hi MamaGrok!

Just jumping in here to get familiar with you, after seeing your post on the March Whole30 thread. I, too, am doing what I'm calling my "Whole46" for Lent . And I'm a Mama (only of two, but I grew up as the oldest of 5...)

Am very interested in your experience with the GAPS diet. One of my children is very sugar-focused and has given up sugar for Lent, too, and is trying to be Primal. It's slow going getting them used to a shifting diet. I plan to read back through your whole journal for thoughts on feeding children.

Glad to meet you, I'll be checking in!
    50 yo single mom
    5'3"
    Primal since 12/1/2010. Now Whole30ing until I feel WHOLE again, my goals are no longer scale-related.

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, Aila! When I saw your post on there, I made a mental note of it - I'm so glad you stopped in to my journal!! I'm not sure I've talked much about my thoughts on the kiddos, but feel free to ask directly if you think of anything.

Whole40 Day 7: Meat, eggs, fats, non-starchy veggies, ferments (no dairy)

Food
    B - wasn't hungry. Didn't care about eating at all. Really weird for me. Felt good.

L - chicken & veggie soup.

D - chicken & veggie soup

Snacks: soup a few times, and sipped ginger tea throughout the day

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    realized my lemon juice has sodium benzoate in it and swore never to buy it again

no, no, no

9hrs?, no, no, read Shakespeare summaries all day

Feeling good back on GAPS intro. I'm going to take it slowly this time, doing just me (not all the kids), for two weeks instead of one. I could actually live forever on chicken and veggie soup, lol, as long as I could have some butter every now and for that nourishing, yummy, satiating fat.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 03-15-2011 at 10:33 PM.