Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 3

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Potatoes and grits and beans ...

It all depends on the intestinal flora, IMO.

If you've been without potatoes and beans and especially GRITS, which are corn, a particularly nasty grain, and you have one little serving, you've done a minor carb load.

I think an occasional small carb load against a background of low carb can leave you feeling quite good. The feeling of relaxation and plenty might even send a little water away, giving you the sudden pound or two of weight loss. But if you carb up day after day the bad flora get going again and you bloat.

I think that weight loss shows up on the scale in fits and starts, but the work has been done gradually, sometimes days before.

You might try intentionally spacing and testing out various slightly carb-y items -- a SMALL bit of potato, some raisins, Mark's square of 70% chocolate with a little red wine, winter squash, maybe some honey in your tea, maybe a non-berry fruit once your 30 days are up. I'd still steer clear of really grainy stuff, like the oatmeal, or the grits, or the brown rice .... but your mileage may vary.

If you try this, and work out some timing and food choices which work for you, I'll be interested in seeing what you end up with, since I'm trying the same intermittent small carb eating (about once or twice a week) myself. I think that quite strict low-carb helps get rid of the insulin resistance, but an occasional minor carb load (hopefully using benign foods) resets receptors and also the small insulin spike helps get nutrients into cells. Repeated too frequently or with too much carb, the insulin spikes get tall and out of control.

I think your meals in general look wonderful and so tasty. You must be a really good cook!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    The Good: 5 months later, I'm 15 pounds lighter.
    The Bad: That's a little discouraging, since it's less than a pound a week, even though over 90% of my days involve no sugars and no more than 1 carb-y food for a total of less than 50gm carb/day.
    The Ugly: The 40lb I still need to lose.

I'm here for some encouragement! Things have overall gone quite well, and I'm certainly losing inches & feeling better. But after two weeks of vacationing with family members in their homes, I am feeling the call of the sugar beast louder & louder daily. Went TOTALLY off track today and am getting a little scared. I need some accountability. DH is very supportive but has NO call from sugar at all, never has, and so really can't understand that part of my struggle.

My goal: continue with eating virtually all homemade, real food, no grains, no sugar, <50g carb/day, walking as many days/wk as possible (at least 4), lifting heavy things at least twice/wk, working up to sprinting at least 1x/wk.

TIA for warm fuzzy voices of support, lol!

Current weight: 170. Well, that was this mornign before I dove off the bandwagon.

It's a new day!

I'm eating my breakast on the deck with my glasses tilted down a bit to let some sunshine in before putting my contacts in for the day. I really need some more direct sunshine in my life!

Wait - the sun hasn't risen above the trees yet. Does this count?

Bkfst: 3 eggs cooked in 1 TB CO w/ 2oz goat cheese. (Eggs are pastured, CO is unrefined, goat cheese is generic so far as I know, but from Trader Joe's, so maybe not?)

Lunch: leftover liver w/ onions & peppers (& tabasco that's only for when I eat it leftover, lol). 1C Greek yog w/ a LOT of fresh organic blueberries. A LOT of potato chips ... I guess it happened at the same time as my downfall yesterday. Well, I suppose that's better than a sugar indulgence, so maybe tomorrow will be the end of that.

Snack: 1C Greek yog, more blueberries for a total of a pint today. ! Certainly not what I was eating before leaving town!

Dinner: spaghetti (probably accidentally imbibed 1-2 ww noodles), big salad

Whew! No major sugar mishaps! Definitely a carb mishap, but that's a step in the right, not wrong, direction!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-22-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Woke at 6:30 again (very tired again - 8hrs is just not quite enough for me), ate bkfst on deck in glasses to get early sun.

Bkfst: 3 eggs in 1T CO w/ 2oz chevre
    Nibbled mid-morning - 1 bite of kids' (soaked) oatmeal, 1T butter just b/c I felt like some fat.

Weird ... I never snack in the morning ... starting nibbling raisins and ate at least a full serving, then ran for some protein before the blood sugar hit. So that was some leftover Indian food followed by leftover liver. Now I'm having Greek yog & dried blueberries & pineapple.

Ugh, this is the hardest thing I've faced since kicking sugar over a year ago and going primal last spring. I need some encouragement! Lunch is killing me!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-23-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Okay, no sugar or chips today. I consider that a win. Let's go for two in a row!

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Mama, you are grokin' like a grokstar! Godbless you for your control with the sugar! No worries about the here and there carbs..it all evens out in the end

Grokstar - love it!

Lots and lots of potato & tortilla chips over the weekend, tons and tons of fruit yesterday, but still moving in the right direction, and I count that as good. I'm so ready to be past the anger jags that have plagued me the last few weeks from the blood sugar roller coaster. My babies deserve better. Ready, too, to dump the bloating again. It felt so good to be healthy; I'm goin' back!!!

Breakfast - 3 eggs in 1T CO, 2oz chevre
    10am - very cranky

Lunch - chicken salad, big salad, um, slice of cheesecake. Yerg!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 07-27-2010 at 11:07 AM.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Hi MamaGrok ~ you might not want to hear this, but I battled the carb/sugar cravings right up until the day I stopped eating ANY grains. Since gluten is my main problem, I thought I could have a few tortilla chips (like, 5) while on vacation ... and woke up the next morning bloated, gassy, with a rash on my face

As long as I stick to meat, fat, and low-fiber veggies, no cravings. No anxiety. No allergies. No PMS. No bloating. No heartburn. No afternoon crash. I'm losing about 4 lbs a month - not stunning, but hey, I'm a middle-age hypothyroid mother of 4 with a high-stress lifestyle - I'll take it If I start to let sugar into my diet, I start feeling anxious and depressed rather quickly. Grains, and the whole constellation of 'symptoms' comes crashing down on me and it takes days to work it out of my system!

My suggestion is, try going grain-free for 2 weeks and just see how you feel. And, you have a busy life taking care of babies and toddlers - you may be doing some emotional (rather than sugar-addiction) driven eating. When my twins were very young (0-3 yrs), I often found myself eating through feelings of frustration (about the whining, the mess, the fighting over toys, the part that it Never Ends, etc!) - I'd especially go for crunchy foods like potato chips when I was angry and felt as if I couldn't express that anger. I don't know you at all so this may not be a problem for you - but if it is, it can be really helpful to just start catching yourself when you are reaching for the unhealthy food and pausing long enough to ask yourself why you want it. If it's not hunger-driven, then you can start to ask yourself, what do you really want, and is it possible to get what you really want, or at least part of what you want (since a vacation for one in St Martin probabaly ain't gonna happen ) ... you get my drift. I learned some very interesting things about myself when I started asking 'why' about my eating habits!!

last thing, make sure you are feeding yourself enough fat and sufficient protein - if you are cranky and/or hungry, feed yourself the right way first ... there is no reason to be hungry while you break the sugar demon!

I've totally experienced what you're describing with the grains - I've had them completely out of my life from March - June, but then vacation hit and a little chips one day, a little bit of corn a few days later, and by the end of two weeks, even though I hadn't had a major sugar breakdown, I was at the point of thinking about grains all the time. And sugar.

And that's why I'm battling. I know I need to cut them entirely again, and I want to - I HATE them and everything about the way they make me feel - but I have to tell myself no every 30 minutes (at least it's not every 5 minutes like it was back in the day), and I can succeed 20 times, but blow it the 21st, which leaves me with once/day grains, lol. And once a day is too much. Or the first obstacle I come across while also dealing with a whiny 8yo or whatever and I just run for the grains.

So I absolutely intend to go grain-free, but every day, I fall and have something ... and start again the next day, then fall again. But hey, ,that's life. You fall down, you get up. You fall down, you get up.

I think the emotion & sugar-addiction go together often - I never eat in response to stress when I'm away from sugar/grains. But I do when they're in the picture. And they call to my biochemistry incessantly, making it so hard to resist, falling down the spiral again ...

I rarely get hungry. I am not a "forget to eat" or "starve to lose weight" kind of person. So I know that when I feel the drive to eat, either it's a sugar/grain-driven craving, or a nutrient deficiency speaking up, although I don't usually hear those unless sugar/grains are out of the picture. But yes, I'm well fed. I kept from gaining weight for years by eating crap between meals and then skipping the meals, until I realized the effect it was having on my well-fed children through deficient breast milk. Never again will I skip nourishment to make up for indulgence!! My babies need good milk!

Aggg... I have questions to ask, but most of them are on hold until I'm back to where I was a month ago. Patience, grasshopper, I tell myself.

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    can you get some of the stuff out of your house? I know with kids it can be hard but if it's not in your face all day it's a lot easier! my kids still eat sandwiches, ice cream, and cereal so it's in the house -- mostly I just tell myself that "for me, this is poison" and that helps Of course, I didn't try to do this until my youngest were 5, so I don't have a lot of room to talk LOL.

another trick - only buy treats (carbs) for your kids that you don't like For instance, I'm rarely tempted by pop tarts or Fruity Pebbles....

I still promote eating something primal EVERY time you have the urge to eat sugar. you are honoring every motivation you might have EXCEPT the one for sugar, filling yourself up on the good stuff, AND providing your body some nutrients that it might be craving.

I've been there and I feel your pain! good luck to ya sista!!

Page 3 of 138 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast