Page 27 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 27

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    <148.5 This is what happens when the fruit is gone! I'm reading Why We Get Fat - GREAT book, probably the one that'll take this mainstream, if any does - and it explains what's happening. Yes, carbs drives insulin drive fat, but I'm thinking I must be really, really sensitive to insulin right now, like any little bit keeps me from releasing the fat in my cells.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe not - I think it seems more likely that any little bit just triggers the cravings b/c of the gut issues, and that leads to more, which takes me to the threshold of "insulin circulating too long" that leaves me holding on to the fat in the cells.

He also makes sense out of IF - the more often you eat, the longer insulin stays active, never giving your fat cells the break they need to release the fat. Well, he hasn't said that yet, but it makes senseto me, lol. "Six small meals a day," my foot!

Found three more pair of pants that I'll be in in no more than 5lbs, and realized I can wear almost every winter shirt in my closet, including this one, which is not very exciting, but I haven't been able to wear it in at least 6 years, so I paired it with one of my FAVORITE skirts that I haven't been able to wear in probably 4 years.

Food
    B - IF, then sausage & then bit of yogurt around noon

L - Chinese hot pot - mixed marinated seafood cooked in broth w/ veggies

D - leftover lamb roast, beef tongue (finally got it down; yummy!), DD made a delicious creamy tomato soup, of which I had much!

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    yes yes

Move Slowly, Lift Heavy, Sprint
    no, no, no

Sleep, Sun, Play, and Use Your Brain
    7hrs. Guess it's back to 10hrs again tomorrow. :s no, no, a bit
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    MamaGrok, you rock! I am so excited for you and inspired for my own journey.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

149.75. ish.

I feel just like yesterday, great, so I'm not sure where the puff is, but all's well! I tried on every single long sleeve shirt in my closet and they ALL fit except 2 or 3. All but the ones from back when I was below 120 for a few months after BabyGrok#1 came along. I was dancing in my closet this morning! Woo hoo!

I thin kthe only difference between me now at 148 and when I was 138 has got to be 10lb of bosom & belly. Anyone know how to spot reduce mammary glands? Sheesh! On Athleta's size chart, I measure a S on the hip, M on the waist, and XL on the bust. Hard to shop like that!

I even squeezed into a ... size 6 ... pair of pants this morning. yes, they had like 10% spandex threads, lol, and no, they didn't look good, but they went on! My 14s have almost all left the closet, the 16s are long gone, and some of the 12s are getting too baggy. 10 seems to be most consistently fitting right now.

Food
    B - IF. It feels REAL good to do this.

L - at 2:30, realized I had to eat before it got too late and had 4oz deli roast beef w/ yogurt & horseradish. 1-2 tablespoons butter. :P

D - chicken & Asian veggie soup w/ some evoo & almost-certainly-old-enough-to-be-rancid toasted sesame oil. Dove into some toasted sunflower & pumpkin seeds before stopping. Sauerkraut, hm yogurt. IDK if the seeds will affect me; we'l see.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    yes, yes.

no, no, no.

~8hrs. no, no, no.

Still feeling really good in my skin. My nose is still clear and I can breathe through it at night every night even though it's winter and I have a very deviated septum (classic Weston Price result of too-narrow dental arches). My hair & skin are better than ever; all the health gains of the last three years have stuck. One day I'll list them; it's really amazing. I'm feeling so well and hearty on the food we're eating. Maybe I'll even exercise soon.

I just realized that the way I said "finally got it down" in the post above, it sounds like I choked down the beef tongue. I meant, I finally figured out how to make it well! Blanche, then boil for a few hours - tender and just like any other super tender pot roast!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    So beef tongue is good, eh? I remember reading the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary and how Ramona when served tongue said she "couldn't eat anything that could lick her". I still have that in my head. I know, kind of crazy huh. I love beef liver but am scared to eat a cow's tongue. Sounds like you're doing well with everything.
    Georgette

LOL, I have to force myself to eat beef liver, but have found ways to make it palatable for myself! Liver has its own very distinct taste, but tongue is just like, I mean jus tlike, pot roast. It's very high in the nourishing fat, too, so it's moist & tender.

May have to try tongue? Are you able to get it in a regular grocery store or do you go to a butcher or get it from a farmer? I have really never seen it in stores before. That may be something I make, tell them its a roast and see what happens. It may be good done in the crockpot.
    Georgette

I buy tongue from the farmer we get our other bulk items. The first time I did it, I skinned it the hard way (didn't know about the easy way yet) and threw it in with a chuck roast. They had absolutely NO idea it was there!

Today was amazing. There certainly has been some kind of corner turned! Everyone I saw commented on how much I've lost, even though most of them saw me last week and had not noticed much, if anything, to that point. It's the gut! I'm finally almost fully deflated! DO NOT SCREW IT UP, WOMAN!!! Seriously, my belly feels so good, and strangely, I actually feel thinner about 30 min after each meal than I did before the meal. Crazy, crazy stuff.

I need to practice my response. Surrounded by a bunch of ladies, one of them gushing over my weight loss and "flat stomach" (I had abs tightened, but I used to do that *all* the time, for like 10 years, before I got bloated and it was uncomfortable to do it any more), and another asked how much I lost and how I did it and I said something about "no grains, no sugar" and two of them said, "I think I'd rather stay fat than stop eating sugar!"

So sad, but I used to think that way, too, totally, and all I can do is be a model and pray & fast for them. I have wanted this for so long, b/c so many of my much-loved friends and family could benefit enormously from the health benefits of going off grains & sugar, but there's no way they'll listen to me as long as I'm fat.

And this week, I've made the transition from looking fat to looking like a normal person.

Even the goal jeans I put on at 155 I can now take off without unbuttoning. Ya!

Woohoo!!! I love being able to pull jeans down without having to unbutton them! That's definitely a great feeling. So proud of you. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Georgette

147.5 Whatever that was, 'tis gone! DaddyGrok noticed that a lot of times just before a big decrease, I have a seemingly inexplicable increase. Hmmm...

Seems the seeds didn't do me in, weight-wise, but as I lay in bed last night, my belly felt a little swollen, very heavy, and started to hurt. Not like gas pains, but actually the stomach, hurting. FTR.

Food
    B - IF

L - 3 eggs in 1T CO, too many seeds.

D - bangers and mash(ed cauliflower), mushroom gravy, bit o' raw grassfed alpen cheese that DaddyGrok brought back from Wisconsin. Mmmm.

Avoid Poisons & Trauma
    yes.

no, no,no.

9hrs. Caught up again, I hope! a bit of sun, no play, no brain!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    I just got Why We Get Fat today and of course went straight to his recommendations on what to eat. Seems more restrictive than PB. What do you think? I will read through the whole book too, to get a better understanding of things. Just curious what you think? I thought it was interesting he recommended 2 cups of bouillon.... anyway, I am ready to get a break through. We go on vacation in the end of March....I really want that break through.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal