Page 20 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 20

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thought I'd share my real food Pecan Pie recipe - no Karo syrup here! The result is so much better than corn syrupy pecan pie - instead of sickly sweet stuff that only real sugar addicts like, it's complex, still VERY sweet, but everyone likes it, even those who never go for really sweet stuff, and those who always go for really sweet stuff, lol. My totally-SAD-fed family has loved it every Christmas and Thanksgiving since I started doing it.

This is my traditional foods version of my Better Homes and Gardens recipe. I used to think the BH&G was perfect (even though it made my brain spin), but this is even better. Of course it is ... it has sorghum!

Pecan Pie
    3 eggs (pastured, of course!)
    1/2 C maple syrup
    1/2 C sorghum syrup
    2/3 C Rapadura
    1/3 C butter, melted
    1t real vanilla
    1-1/4 C crisped pecan halves
    Pie crust

Lightly beat eggs. Stir in next 5 ingredients. Fold in pecan halves.

Place pastry in pie plate, on a cookie sheet. Pour filling into pie plate and cover edge of crust lightly with foil. Bake at 350 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20-25 minutes more or till a knife comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
    COULDN'T BE EASIER!

The pie crust recipe is the BH&G one, standard (sprouted spelt) flour, (unrefined sea) salt, lard, & water. Real lard, though!

Ingredient definitions for those that might be unfamiliar
    crisped pecans - nuts are hard on the digestion (ask my grandfather to tell you the story of walking through a hickory orchard as a child eating as he went, and how hard his stomach hurt for hours afterward!) raw, so they're soaked and dried low-temp (so as not to destroy the enzymes). When I buy them, I put them in a bowl of water overnight, then dry them in the toaster oven at 110-ish, or in the oven w/ the light on, for 12 hrs till crispy. I love nuts this way!

sucanat or Rapadura - whole sugar. None of the molasses spun out of it or anything added to make it flow freely. Way better, more complex taste than brown sugar, which sometimes doesn't even have molasses in it - just caramel coloring and flavoring, from what the label says!

unrefined sea salt - just sea water that's been dried by wind and sun. Not Hain's. I use Celtic Sea Salt brand. Can be ground finer for pie crust (or use TJ's fine unrefined sea salt).

sorghum syrup - traditional syrup used in the South (we don't have much of a maple harvest!). I vaguely remember hearing about it (grew up on Aunt Jemima), and seeing sorghum mills at old farm demonstrations, but I found some at a farm stand last fall. One taste and I knew it was the perfect replacement for all that stinkin' corn syrup (sicky sweet and banally bland).

Of course, no one in my house can eat it this year, but the rest of the extended family can. Maybe next year I'll try significantly reducing the sweetener amounts, but you can't do it too much, since this is basically a sugar pie, lol. Maybe more eggs & butter with less sweetener?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Great day today! Yesterday I had a few indiscretions, but that's what feasts are for. It was WAY better than I've ever done and I was paid off by not having to unbutton my pants to breathe later!

Today:
    BKFST - 3 eggs, 1 slice bacon
    LUNCH - leftover roast beef & turnips, PB & cran sauce (homemade w/ honey)
    SNACK - tiny apple
    DINNER - roast beef & carrots etc., salad. Still hungry, had another tiny apple.

Wearing jeans I couldn't squeeze into two months ago even though I've only lost a pound. Definite some redistribution going on here.

Oh, lifted heavy things - a really fully loaded very large iron dutch oven with iron lid, lol.
    Moved a lot - shopping.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-27-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Breakfast: 3 eggs in CO, sausage.

Will be walking a whole lot at the Tech/GA game.

Lunch: salad, burger w/ veggie toppings
    Dinner: sausage, bell peppers, cheesecake, cookies. :hide: Tailgating friends brought homemade desserts and I just couldn't hold off.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-28-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Breakfast: storebought link breakfast sausages & bacon. Was at my parents' house, and my mother was really sweet and made us a lovely breakfast, but whatever chemicals were in there brought me back tot he way I used to feel every time I ate breakfast at a restaurant in the old days.

Lunch: yogurt, roast beef, random (good) this and that.
    Snack: Snickers. This is actually good news, b/c I had a REALLY close call with an enormous amounto fostorebought cake, and in a moment of clarity, realized it was either a small Halloween Snickers or drowning in crapcake. I'm feeling very grateful I escaped that one. The call of the cake was obviously brought on by the last few days of holiday bits of this and that.
    Dinner: pot roast w/ carrots, lots of broth. Homemade Lara Bar.

Forgot that yesterday I also had a bit of some pumpkin pie made with a cake crust, and it made me feel really dry on the inside of my head.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-29-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Bkfst: 3 eggs, 1 T CO, ~cheese

Lunch: leftover Asian beef tendon & oxtail stew, ~dried apples & cherries, crisis with ice cream narrowly averted with 2-3 spoons of homemade, low-honey cranberry sauce

Dinner: Stir-fry (read: mixed whatever meat, veggies, & sauce I could dig up). A little yogurt.

Stress: very high. Children crazy today. Thinking it's Thanksgiving treats wearing off.
    Sleep: very deprived. Too many late nights followed by early mornings over the long weekend. Feel like :P
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-29-2010 at 06:32 PM.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Hey there MamaGrok.... hope the stress starts to wind down and you get some good sleep soon! I am sure you can use the break!

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Thanks! DH came home and did a fabulous job of cheering everybody up. Love him. <3

155+~
    Fitting into lots of pants I couldn't last month at just a pound lighter. !! Pulled out a new pair of goal jeans since I am currently wearing the pair I had out before.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1T CO, ~1oz raw fontina
    Lunch: leftover pot roast (mostly broth), PB & honey (b/c we're very low on ready-to-eat protein right this moment!)
    Dinner: leg of goat, brussels sprouts (gobs of them, with gobs of butter), salad, fermented sauerkraut

Sleep: asked DD to take Baby Grokette when she woke up, then I slept until almost 10. Oh man, I feel SOOOO much better. It's nice to have a 12yo daughter who loves babies in the house, let me tell you that!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 11-30-2010 at 07:16 PM.

I was really bloated last night, and noticed that several others in the house were, too, and had been since...Thanksgiving! I hadn't been, though, so maybe the pb & honey, even though it wasn't excessive?

155.4. ish.

BKFST 3 eggs, 1T CO, negligible amount of raw cheese

LUNCH roast beef & herbed turkey, very small orange, cranberry sauce (homemade w/ honey) & some PB.

DINNER spaghetti sauce j& meat w/ no noodles, buttery green beans

Snacked on nuts, iirc?
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-02-2010 at 02:30 PM.

155 flat.

BKFST 3 eggs, CO, ~ cheese

LUNCH roast beef, nuts, dried pineapple, more nuts

DINNER marinated lamb tips, bacon greasy turnip greens, salad. seriously, who says you have to suffer to lose weight, lol?!

5:30 really ravenous! And dying to fall asleept

Sleep - 8hrs last night?

Wearing a pair of jeans that I haven't put on in literally at least four years. Probably closer to five. They fit nicely. DH is chasing me all over the house, lol.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 12-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.