Page 17 of 138 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 17

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi, AuntPol! And thanks TFG! It's really great to have the support here - I've had a few journals, real and online, private and semi-public, and this one is the one that is really helping keep me accountable from all the enthusiasm & ideas y'all have for me!

Milestone day! I started off planning to give myself a reward every 10 pounds. Previous attempts at weight loss meant food-related rewards, like a trip to The Cheesecake Factory, lol. B/c I was still desperately craving sweets every day. Not so much now, TBTG - so these are non-food rewards.

170 - haircut at salon instead of DaddyGrok trimming the ends with his spear
    160 - mineral makeup - I don't think I've reallyl bought new makeup in five years (and no, haven't gotten any eye infections either, lol) b/c I want something great quality without, say, arsenic ... I know, I know, I'm so picky.
    150 - Hmmm ... what should it be?
    140 - ??

Facial at a spa, DaddyGrok gives me an hour long massage, IDK - I'm not really into indulging myself (what homeschool mother is?), so I need some ideas! An hour by myself in the woods reading a book?

At 130 I'm buying a WHOLE FREAKING NEW WARDROBE b/c I haven't been there in almost 8 years and those clothes are not the epitome of style anymore!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

160 minus a few ounces. My stomach is flatter than it has been in years - the gut bloat is truly going away!! OTOH, I feel weak, especially in my legs. That's got to be die-off related. I'm certainly eating plenteous meat, fats, veggies.

1. Eat lots of animals & plants. (No insects for me, thankyouverymuch!)
    Breakfast - 3 eggs in ghee, ~~bell pepper cooked

Lunch - Lamb, veggies, ~broth, nut butter butternut squash pancakes

Dinner - Ham steak (at last!), kabob'd bell pepper & shroom

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    no - well, a bit I guess, while teaching astronomy w/ bebe on back, lol

3. Lift heavy things.
    Regularly lifting 17lb infant and occasionally lifting 36lb 3yo during day.

4. Run really fast once in a while.
    Goal: 1x/wk

5 & 7. Get lots of sleep & some sunlight (Goal: 15m peak sun).
    9 stinking hours. I'm going to assume this is also die-off related until I have reason to believe otherwise.
    Had to take a nap, too.

6 & 10. Play & think.
    Thought!

Is my belly a bit fluffier tonight than last night? Or is it all that water I just downed? We'll see!
    8 & 9. Avoid trauma & poisonous things.

Gave my bunchkins nbbn pancakes for their homeschool group co-op snack to help them not feel sad about not getting the snacks everyone else got. Which was Goldfish, anyway (BLEH!!!).
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    some that are on my list -teeth whitening, pedicure, high quality sheets, a book that has nothing to do with homeschooling and is totally for pleasure, rock climbing gym punch card, an hour of not being needed-nothing to grade, noone yelling "mom," nothing to cook, fix, clean, or otherwise take care of.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    What beautiful progress, MamaGrok! Congrats on all your hard work! Sounds like some nice reward ideas. Congrats again!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Thank you! :blush:

And what great ideas! I'm totally doing the rock climbing card - I LOVE that! I think a deep tissue massage would be great, but the last (and only) time I had a massage (was at the Ritz), I was totally disappointed. I want a therapeutic one for my dang sciatica and crick-y shoulder-to-neck muscle and stuff. I'll keep thinkin' ...

159.75. And huge change in measurements head to toe from last week, for the first time in over a month. I can even tell that my neck roll (when I bend my head back) is gone, my face is definitely more normal again, and I can feel the top few vertebrae on my spine again!

I got hit on today - first time in a loooooong time. I thought the guy in the car was making noises to some kind of pet, and I looked over to see the pet and he was making the noises at ME! Crazy man hitting on a woman in a minivan... Last time I got hit on, I was in the Dollar store buying a pregnancy test for my fifth child ... I was like, Dude, I have four/five kids ... you have got to be kidding!!!!!

Oh, had

eggs in ghee & veggies

BBQ meat (~~ sauce), green beans w/ ssg, Brunswick stew (accidentally ate a bit of potato chunks I misidentified as lima beans and had mild belly cramps afterward ... coincidence?)

five guys burger w/ bacon & shrooms and no bun

homemade beef jerky. Was dying for something sweet and this hit the spot!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-25-2010 at 08:01 PM.

rio_sachairi is offline Member
    Look at you, rockin' the GAPS! I've only been here for a bit, but I just spent some time reading through your journal. Love your lifestyle...at home with the kiddies, trekking with the baby on your back in rhythm with your marching band beat...awesome.
    What's you're favorite way to eat liver, BTW?

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post

At 130 I'm buying a WHOLE FREAKING NEW WARDROBE b/c I haven't been there in almost 8 years and those clothes are not the epitome of style anymore!
    And you should!!! That's exactly what I will be doing! I've become so thrifty as I've gotten older that I've tamed my self-entitlement issues. But I've also learned that I have to take care of myself. And that means mentally as well as physically. I've learned that my self-esteem is tied directly to success in other areas of my life!
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

I guess I felt like slacking on the PBJ for a few days! Here we go again - was 160 Sun, 161 yesterday, 160.25 today, after having almond flour muffins (3! oops!) + thin sliver of cake on Sun and some PB+honey yesterday (always makes me bloat).

1. Eat lots of animals & plants. (No insects for me, thankyouverymuch!)
    Breakfast - 3 eggs in ghee w/ mixed bells & shrooms. Brkfst sausage.

Lunch - leftover steak & kidney pie (veggies, no crust). I used heart, too ... DaddyGrok called it Stake in my Heart Pie.

Dinner - Stuffed peppers (bf, liver, shrimp, veggies)

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    yes! So much so that my legs hurt at some points, but I didn't even realize I was doing that much. Mental energy was AMAZING today... I'm praying this is something new for me (or rather, back to something I long ago used to have). I just wanted to do the things I needed to do, rather than sit.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Just bebes & iron skillets.

4. Run really fast once in a while.
    Goal: 1x/wk

5 & 7. Get lots of sleep & some sunlight (Goal: 15m peak sun).
    (have been either sleeping 9hrs or taking naps the last few days)
    8hrs.
    No sun.

6 & 10. Play & think.
    No playfor me, but close - I was fairly dancing this afternoon, in such a rare mood of so much internal energy. Educated children!

8 & 9. Avoid trauma & poisonous things.
    yerp.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-28-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Thx, J4M!!

Rio - When we've had the liver in the freezer for <6mo, or maybe even just less than 3 months, we make classic liver & onions (thin slices marinated in lemon juice, membrane pulled off, s&p, pan-fry in hot butter/ghee for just 2-3 min per side, then serve with onions & sliced bell peppers that have been sauteed slow & low in butter till caramelized). After that, I thaw & throw it all in the food processor, freeze in 1/4lb baggies, and combine (VERY well) one baggie per pound of ground beef we cook for anything.

And I've done the cubes in broth thing and very much need to thaw some more and do that again!

I've also had it in scrapple, liver mush, panhaus/pon-hoss, and love it those ways, but they're usually anywhere from somewhat to very grain heavy (oats or cornmeal). Pate is alright in context, like on the right veggie or cracker (back in cracker days, lol!).

Oh, and I've loved the liverwurst I've had in restaurants!

My favorite was probably the pon-hoss. That's probably the cornmeal talking.