Page 15 of 138 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 15

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just checking in on you and I see you're still shrinking!
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

1. Eat lots of animals & plants. (No insects for me, thankyouverymuch!)
    Breakfast - 3 eggs, 1T CO, butter oil

Lunch - dried pear slices, egg salad, mashed cauliflower

Snack - a few spicy nuts, then craving something, got through it w/ half a banana. I can live with that kind of "damage."

Dinner - "Mexican salad" (what I called taco salad w/o the chips, sour cream, or cheese so no one complained it wasn't really taco salad, lol) - ground beef, ground liver, tomatoes, salsa, avocado w/ lime juice, bell peppers, jalapenos, loads of lettuce.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    a little.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Regularly lifting 17lb infant and occasionally lifting 36lb 3yo during day.
    Almost felt up to SF tonight, but decided no. I've hada lot more energy this week, but there's also this underlying sleepiness that is keeping me from SF. I just feel like I need a rest from it. Probably back next week!

4. Run really fast once in a while.
    Goal: 1x/wk
    dang, I've been forgetting this!

5 & 7. Get lots of sleep & some sunlight (Goal: 15m peak sun).
    8hrs. Sleepy.
    No on the sufficient sun.

6 & 10. Play & think.
    Nerp.

8 & 9. Avoid trauma & poisonous things.
    Yep.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-17-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    Yeah!!! Way to go, MamaGrok! I was trying to take 2 tbs of coconut oil at once and it really made me sick to my stomach. I cut it back and sometimes add it to the food I'm eating and that seems to help.
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

I cook my eggs in my CO. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Amazing what's been happening since cuttin gout potatoes & dairy. I'm doing the GAPS gut healing diet, which is basically primal w/ a focus on broth & fermented foods. I think that the sickness I had two weeks ago may have been die-off ... maybe, although I hadn't yet cut either of those ... but the fatigue I felt last week (all mental, like I had to force myself every thirty seconds to keep doing what I needed to do, all. day. long) was even more likely to be related to the nappy beasties in my gut letting go of whatever toxins they were storing as they keeled over and moved out of the body. In classic die-off style, it seems, I feel better this week (after the first round of die-off) than I did the week before (or really, at any point prior - my gut & overall energy AND ***mood*** are GREAT!).

I love lovin' life!

163. :bugeyes:

Then I went to a party and ate a moderate amount of crap. Back to GAPS tomorrow, starting the intro diet.

It was very interesting to realize that the pants I couldn't wear two months ago, which were still a bit too tight one month ago, are too loose now. But my measurements have hardly changed, even while the weight is falling off this last week. Weird!

Got what I call attack hiccups tonight. Dh never gets hiccups. I used to get them horribly, frequently. Haven't had them in ages till today. It's so clearly related to what I ate. I don't know specifically what, but it's just plain as day now.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-19-2010 at 12:27 PM.

167.5, lol. I expect all but maybe 1lb of it to be gone tomorrow - my pants I wore Friday are falling off even more. I had to get out a belt. I haven't worn a belt in five years. !!!

Breakfast/Lunch: LOL, pernil (garlicky Puerto Rican pork shoulder), greens, & pork broth w/ a tsp of fermented pickle juice. Ladies and gentlemen, GAPS intro is about to begin! Oh, and plenty of watermelon, to finish it off before 3 weeks w/o fruit!

Snack: bit o' brisket

Dinner: BBQ pork broth (ya!) w/ round steak & veggies (bok, broc, & red bell) as a soup. Quite yummy, was surprised!

Very hungry now, but I don't have the hang of this totally meat/veggies/broth thing yet and don't have enough meat cooked to eat.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Hi there MamaGrok!

That is awesome to hear!! LOL Make sure to get a belt so what happened to me yesterday in public doesn't happen to you! hahaha Hope you are having a great weekend!!

165. I'm cool with that, lol.

Breakfast: mish-mash soup - leftover chicken & pork broths, leftover pernil & stew beef, green beans, beef "pate" (the soft tissues from making broth, basically everything but the bones & meat), all in one soup - very, very tasty.

I'm starving, though, b/c there wasn't enough, and the chicken soup for lunch isn't ready yet!

Snack: took some chicken and broth out of the pot simmering for lunch b/c I thought I was going to pass out or vomit or both!

Lunch: Chicken soup w/ chicken "pate", bell peppers, & carrots added by the kids who are being wonderful during my self-created convalescence (see next post below!)

Dinner: meatball soup w/ veggies.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 09-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Whoa. I can't say I was expecting this. I expected my almost-6yo to be hit hardest by GAPS die-off, but it seems to be me. I started the morning with major hypoglycemia signs - rapid & weak pulse, hunger-nausea (instead of that pleasant hungry feeling I often get lately), building to dizzy & weak.

Breakfast didn't seem to fill me and I started feeling more and more nauseated and lik eI was fighting or recovering from a tummy bug. Finally had to take a nap - seriously feeling like early pg early morning sickness - and did, after scoring some chicken & broth. No emotional tiredness (fatigue), though, just physical.

By the end of my long nap (at least an hour, I think), I felt like I was fighting an infection - joint pain, extreme physical exhaustion, maybe a fever?, stiff joints. I stumbled through finishing up soup prep (after commissioning my oldest two to chop and throw in the veggies) and ate, moving in slow motion the whole time.

I'm feeling a *bit* better now - mostly tired + lower back ache. My kids seem to be mostly fine - one has a sore top of his foot (?), one has a sore bottom, and one is just grumpy (but he refused to eat "breakfast").

Off to take a baking soda bath now. I don't want detox to go too quickly, and want those bad dudes out of my body as quickly as possible, since I'm nursing an infant.

The idea is that GAPS is a gut recovery diet. You eat the most digestible foods for just a short time to accelerate healing and restoration of gut flora balance, and during that time, the bad bacteria die, releasing the toxins they're storing into the bloodstream, which causes die-off symptoms on the way out. I was honestly kind of dubious. It's obviously working and I'm honestly somewhat surprised! The way I feel right now is not at all normal for me. After the intro portion of the diet, slowing introducing more and more digestible foods, the regular GAPS diet looks mostly primal -potatoes -unfermented dairy -most legumes with a focus on being sure you get in your fermented foods & broth to restore the lining & bacterial population of the gut.

It's supposed to be a 1-3 year thing, if your gut damage is enough that the toxins thrown off by the bad dudes and the undigested particles leaknig into the bloodstream and the insufficient nutrition due to malabsorption have resulted in something like autism, IBS, Crohn's, bipolar, SID, asthma, etc. But our symptoms are pretty mild, and mostly show in sugar obsession, which is diminishing, but I' dlike to accelerate that. There are some very mild sensory, rage, etc., issues that may resolve through this. So we're shooting for six months on the regular GAPS. Here's to success!