Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1371

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 137

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Gah, keep forgetting to ppost food.

Belly had been getting flatter and flatter, down to 162.75, but after eating salsa, beef w/ homemade BBQ rub, TJ's guac, & pineapple spears, it was huge again. Huge. Up to 165.5 in the morning. 2.75lb!

I ate the same things today b/c they were still here needing to be eaten. Possible culprits: rub, salsa, guac, combination of meat & fruit ... who knows? I have to remind myself not to worry about bloating or I will end up restricting my diet too much and not be able to maintain my abstinence.

Despite gut bloat, my calves are actually down 1/4" more than yesterday, which was 1/4" more than last week!

Voice is quite clear today. Still more nose clearing needs to happen, but big improvement.

Hands still soft. Like so soft, almost slick. Very nice! (face and chest not quite as soft)

Big pimple on my chin over the last two days.

I went to my binge store today to get dinner stuff, and felt myself looking around, then asked God to take care of me and get me safely out and felt much stronger, then was worried about the looking around and remembered "thinking about food is not eating." No, indeed, it is not.

30 days binge-free today! Thank God!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Just dropped by to see how you're doing . Wondering what my next step will be. Glad things are going well with the treatment, hope it continues.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I've had nearly two months now of being nearly craving-free, effortlessly. I started to see a bit of increase for starchy veggies & tart fruits lately, but am trying to feed whatever part of that is a physical need without letting it turn into a binge. It got easier for "just one" of those to turn into too much (but easily stoppable before a true binge), but even that has tapered off some since getting my new amino acid mix.

Which is this: custom blend based on my blood AA profile, which showed a profound deficiency in several of the ones not focused on in Ross' book, especially alanine. Since starting that, the slight loss in cravings/stress-handling/L I had had has had a marked improvement, although there is still room for improvement.

In the last week, I noticed that nose/chin swelling, jowliness, bloating, and calf/wrist swelling are all separate events. I saw that the jowls went away even while I was eating too many terra chips & larabars, but came back for some reason early last week. Bloating worsened (had been much less most of the last few weeks) when I had a lot of dried pineapple, olives, and salsa in one day (and has remained several days). Next week, I'll try them one at a time to see if it's one in particular, or a certain amount, or some combination. The nose/chin puffiness came back last night when I ate (100%) brown rice pasta. Definite no-no. It's uncomfortable, hideous, and makes my singing baaaaaad.

Constant detective work!

I also realized that the irritated-at-the-world feeling hasn't come back for several weeks ... until a very, very brief and mild period yesterday.

Doubling the custom oral AA blend starting yesterday, hoping for more improvement!

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Hi MamaGrok,

I very belatedly answered a question you posted on my primal journal a couple of years ago. May be irrelevant by now, but it was about ThyroGold. I'm still taking it, the smaller capsule of 150 mg, once a day first thing in the am. It raised my heart rate from 60 to 72-78 and my body temp is higher... can even go into the grocery store without bundling up like I used to. More details in my journal, if interested.

I never took "real" thyroid meds, just didn't want to run that gauntlet if possible. The book Hypothyroidism Type 2 by Dr. Mark Starr goes into the history of how thyroid conditions were treated prior to the so-called gold-standard TSH test. Interesting stuff, like actually paying attention to symptoms instead of just test numbers and arbitrary ranges. I'm very skeptical about endos and docs in general when it comes to these kind of conditions...the endo I contacted back then had zero interest in any dietary aspects of thyroid disease, so I didn't want to waste any time on him. Most docs seem to embrace being ignorant about nutrition...it's malpractice, if you ask me. On the other hand, I must add that my aunt's PCP volunteered recently that she didn't think people should eat wheat, so guess that's progress!
    Age 55, post-menopausal, primal since August '12 with some dairy, lots of seafood, following PHD and the 5 Leptin Rules. Taking ThyroGold, eating RS and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

This is my fifth year of keeping this journal. I started out stuck at 185lb with a lot of major issues gone from going to traditional foods, but with a lot of minor issues, and some yet unknown major issues, left. Taking out the half slice of sourdough I was eating each day kick-started two years of weight loss, averaging 1/2lb/week, till I got to 135lb. I did it the right way, did it the slow way, and it stayed off - for six whole months.

Then the cravings that I've fought since 1997, and had finally gotten under wraps around 2008 (with protein), started beating me down again. I binged for the first time in a year. I continued about 2x/week for 2 months and gained 20lb. Then I got it under some control with amino acids, but it kicked in again and I gained 10lb over 4 months. Then I got it under more control with IV amino acids in an addiction treatment center. I haven't binged in the 5 months since, but I did find that I "needed" one serving of sweets a couple times a week (certainly way less than most people eat) for a few weeks, and I gained 10lb more in a month. Returning to liver seemed to stop the cravings for sugar. I now weigh 172lb - the most I've ever weighed while not pregnant or coming down after a pregnancy.

My health is a mystery. I've brought my ANA (bloodwork indicating autoimmune disease) from a solid positive to a negative, ended severe fat malabsorption, and had many other health gains at the same time that other aspects of health continue to decline. Maybe I have a progressive disease that I'm keeping so much in check that it's hard to tell I have it, and if I wasn't doing so much hard work on diet & lifestyle, I'd be incapacitated by now. At least one doctor has indicated that he thinks this is the case.

My energy is mostly better than it was 2 years ago, but occasionally bad again, and never great. My mood is mostly better than it was 1 year ago, but occasionally bad again, although almost always better than my energy. My cravings are mostly for tart fruit, but occasionally they make me eat stupid stuff, usually just a bite or two.

Overcoming any kind of obstacle requires discipline, hard work, and a good attitude. My illness takes all three of these away from me. All I have is hope & determination. And a brain, and a pocketbook, thank God.

I continue to try new things, keep doing what has worked so far, and pray to God for help. Maybe I'll get better; maybe I won't. But I'll try my best, and keep trying to be an inspiration to my children instead of a stumbling block, and leave the results in the hands of God.

"The edema is essentially a electrolyte imbalance + an inflammation response + Lymphatic sluggishness. so when you look at those which applies in your case? BTW Hormones play into the electrolyte balance. vis-a-vis aldesterone"

Found this in an earlier spotin my journal. I"ve had a good bit of left-leg edema lately. I think I've taken care of the electrolytes. I'm working on the inflammation with Wahls' vegetables. Maybe this is where exercise plays a role for me. I need to move my limbs to get the lymph moving? It's so hard to exercise; I'm so darn tired and it brings no sense of well-being at all except for very rare very good days. But I can try a little. Maybe just treading water? (Ha, figuratively and literally!)

I've been having right-eye twitches a lot lately (had stopped these about 5 years ago after a year of them, with Mg (Natural Calm)). I have Mg in my high quality multi, and use Mg oil (2 drops) every day behind my knees. I don't think it's Mg. But I can try NC again and see if it helps. Anyway, yesterday, it was very bad, very fast & very twitchy in the midst of a "feel like death, can hardly move any muscles" spell that lasted (a little up & down) about 8hrs, while I was lying down to sleep. Then after I woke up, I noticed that the right eyelid was very droopy and partially blocking my upper right eye vision. Dh saw it, too. Very disturbing.

My next step is to test pregnenolone & tiny bits of DHEA (been on the former for one month and the latter for one week), and to do Dr. Wahls' protocol completely, which is essentially what I've tried before, but all at once - and with tons of vegetables. Since I don't seem to digest them well, I'm doing them all as soup. 9C veggies per day (mixed colors, leafy greens, & sulphur), liver, broth, ferments, supplements (especially the AA's that make me able to do any dietary protocol), CO, other fats, lots of protein, no grains, no dairy, few starches.

I've had a good couple of days (except most of Fri & Sat were exhausted), and enjoy having my cheerful outlook on life back.

Being sick sucks. It's tiring. And especially so when it's an illness that no one can see from the outside, and has no name that anyone can contribute to or run a 5K for or make them want to do your housework or watch your children or make your meals for you.

I'm doing the Wahls autoimmune disease protocol, which is essentially paleo plus 9C of produce (mostly non-starchy veggies) per day. In the 2-3 weeks of getting the produce in almost every day, the main thing I've noticed is that at first, it made my bm somewhat and full of undigested greens, and now, it seems to be somewhat better digested. Maybe I"ll actually get the real benefits when I've done it long enough to fix my digestion enough to start digesting more of the nutrients from it. iT seems most people get significant improvement in fatigue in about 3 weeks (presumably 3 weeks after DIGESTING the stuff!).

I'm doing it with soups, b/c it's hard enough getting it all in seriously cooked; I could never do it by having to chew 9C of raw vegetables all day long, or even crisp-tender. I hate chewing and chewing and chewing, so boiled now, for me, and drinking all the broth, which she recommends anyway for people with poor digestion.

I've had more energy the last week, but it's primarily because I finally got the custom AA re-ordered and am on it full strength again. Very expensive, butit does really seem to work. My focus is shot, though - I can't seem to make myself stay on a task for longer than 5 minutes ... ever.

Stuck at 170lb. If I eat one dessert, no matter how GFCF, I gain a pound and that pound never goes away. I'm seriously convinced that a major player for me is poor detoxification. My body is protecting me from toxins floating around in the bloodstream (b/c it knows I can't properly eliminate them) by storing them in the fat until some day I can. Maybe I could just cut the fat off, lol. Who else in the world eats this perfectly and doesn't lose weight? (I've been 100% GF for 2.5 years, 100% CF for 2.5 weeks (and mostly CF for years before that), 100% sweetener-free and craving-free for 3 weeks (thanks be to GOd; don't know what made that happen this time), and am eating moderate protein & fat & carbohydrate (no grains, rarely more than 2svg/fruit or starchy veg/day) and haven't lost a pound or an inch.

Despite that, my mood has been mostly good the past week, so yay for that. I've taken walks, rediscovered my love of swimming (and my hair's hatred of chlorine), & taken an intro crossfit class, so yay. And then I slept for 12hrs last night after that intro class. Could be catching up (I've been sleepy a few times this week after a few short nights last week), or highly disturbing need for recovery after yesterday's brief & low-key CF intro.

Jeni84 is offline Junior Member
    Hello MamaGrok,

I have followed your journey from day 1 and have read every page and thread.

Can you help me understand why you think your leptin reset journey has not worked? You've been so diligent...I can't see why it wouldn't have fixed your leptin yet? have you ever asked DR.K?

Thanks!