Page 134 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1371

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 134

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Eating a balanced real food diet of protein, fat, and carbohydrates has never ameliorated any of my symptoms. Eating any amount of carbs always increases my cravings. Nonetheless, I have been eating them (ranging between moderate intake and bingeing, the latter being out of my control) for the last year.

Yes, I know that many, many women need carbs. I may need them, too, although evidence does not currently point to them improving anything for me, but right now, controlling cravings is my #1 health need, and other things need to take a backseat to that priority.

The only time I was at a very low body fat level, I was eating very little protein. When I was at my 10-year minimum last year, I was eating plenty of fat still, and quite a bit of carb, and it's worth noting that my body fat was *not* very low at that time, probably around 25-29%.

Sweet potatoes and winter squash make me crave.

Not everyone has the same solution.

Thank you for your concern! I don't mind you posting here at all, but I would prefer you to hear what I'm saying (namely, the above), and not try to keep selling me on something that I am already doing (except, literally, for this 10 day period of treatment).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Last night, I was somewhat low-energy again. My body was able to move around okay, but I was speaking low and it was hard to get anything up. I took another detox bath (added bkg soda this time). I feel that my computer compulsion is becoming stronger this week. I'm having a hard time turning away from it, especially social media, and I hate living that life.

I was very, very sleepy last night, but still took 15+ minutes to fall asleep. And once again, I woke suddenly and briefly 30-60 minutes later. I slept like a rock again, and had terrible trouble getting up after 8.5 hours. I was (and am) so, so sleepy/sleep-deprived.

As soon as the nurse mentioned ordering lunch at 10:45, I got hungry, and now I really want to eat even though it's 11am and I had the same breakfast as always.

The waves are much less frequent and much milder today. 3 sec drip so far.

I've noticed that I'm still not really digesting vegetables at all. Not raw carrots, not very cooked greens, not bell peppers (or at a minimum, their skins).

Strong cravings last night again, less often than the day before.

Breakfast - 3oz ssg, 3 eggs, 1TB butter
    Lunch - homemade jerky, 2 carrots
    Dinner - didn't feel up to making it. Jerky. Had to have some at 4:30 and then again at 6.

I'm LOVING Chicago's Greatest Hits (82-89) this week!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-10-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Good Morning,

I am very interested in the outcome of your amino acid therapy. I take amino supplements.

Are you still doing the 50+ gram of protein breakfast a la Leptin Reset? (I remember yours were more like 65g) I just recently read your LR success story on Kruse's site. I guess it is at least a year old now. It looked to have been your miracle. I was sorry to see that you (seemingly) had given it up. From someone standing on the outside reading your journal, it looked like you started skipping meals after the BAB, then your BAB got smaller, then you started bingeing again. Forgive me if I have the wrong impression. I'm not sure when your other health issues arose. Maybe you could go back to what worked?

A long time ago, I discussed LR with you. Finally this last September, I really gave it a try. It does work for my BED with one caveat. I do not do the under 50g of carb rule. I am one of those women in her 40's who cannot go VLC. It makes me a hormonal, crazy woman and then I binge. So I eat about 100g of clean carb daily. This, with the BAB stops the 5000g carb fests for the most part. I eat 3 meals a day consistently. No skipping meals, no IF. This month, I dropped dairy and went strict Paleo to try and heal even further.

Good Luck with everything.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

No, that's not quite the order. (And believe me, it's hard for me to keep straight, so I don't expect anyone else to!)

The BAB made it so I really didn't want lunch, and I didn't eat lunch for 4 months while cravings utterly disappeared.
    Then I started needing lunch (and have never stopped since then).
    Then a few months later I started having minor cravings.
    Those cravings grew gradually over 3 months until I started bingeing again, then they just kept growing and have continued to do so for the last 15 months (a few months of relief during the 2-4th months of oral amino acids notwithstanding).
    3 months after I started bingeing again, I finally realized that the BAB was causing the cramps and runs that had grown increasingly severe ever since I started the BAB. I took it from 63gm protein to 50 since it was no longer keeping the cravings away, anyway, and sure enough, I got gut respite, with no change in cravings. I took it to 30gm and I got elimination of gut symptoms with no change in cravings.

So here I am! It's of unending consternation to me that I can't dance with the one that brung me. The super BAB that killed the cravings just stopped doing it over time. It's so wonderful that you have found an answer for you!!! I think that most people will find an answer far short of what it's taken for me. I believe that my 10 years of eating essentially no nutrients, on top of my family susceptibility to addiction and other neurological illness, has dug such a hole that I will have to take extreme measures to fill it ... and here I am, taking them!

In the past month, I've raised my BAB back to 42g and have occasionally had some cramps & runs, but not much, so something like 40g might be a nice permanent spot for me (or maybe some day I'll fix my gut and be able to tolerate more).

Keep in touch; I can't wait to hear how it all turns out for you!

jacobsen001 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Thank you for your concern! I don't mind you posting here at all, but I would prefer you to hear what I'm saying (namely, the above), and not try to keep selling me on something that I am already doing (except, literally, for this 10 day period of treatment).
    Hi, I realise that I was going on a bit. I was just concerned, but of course I haven't read all of your posts and history at all so shouldn't be preach-y.

I think it is much harder for women to get a balance then men, with all those hormones and the way our body clings to fat for child rearing and then clings to it again to store oestrogen for our old age.

So sorry, I am hearing you. I was just looking at small extracts, one where you said you couldn't sleep, a bit where you said you where euphoric and put 2+2 together and made 5.

I was so happy reading your journal and your leptin reset and how you were doing so well. I was cheering you on and I am sad that you have had a setback.
    Another extract I read is that you would never give up!!

Tenacious Mama Grok!

I am following and not judging
    x
    'Myths which are believed in tend to become true'
    George Orwell

I welcome comments! And truly, my journey has been all over the place, so yeah, it's definitely dangerous to pluck from here and there and think that's a picture of today. The euphoria was mentioned as a very definite side effect of my amino acid treatment this week - not anything like something that happens regularly! It's kind of like reading the Bible randomly for guidance .... "Judas went and hung himself." ... "Go ye and do likewise." It only makes sense in order, *or* just reading the last few pages thoroughly to see where I am today.

I welcome suggestions, too, I just got a bit frustrated with the insistence to do carbs when I *am* doing carbs, and have been fora long time. (Again, except for the 10-day treatment.)

Very interesting comment that we store estrogen for post-menopause. That's an explanation I haven't heard, and it makes sense of a lot of things. It's so common sense that I wonder why I haven't heard it before!

Peace and God bless!

jacobsen001 is offline Member
    Thank you. How is your new amino therapy going?
    Yes, annoyingly, once you get into peri menopause and your estradiol levels plummet, estrone, an oestrogen made in your fat cells makes up for the lack of estrodiol. This causes us women to start storing every bit of fat we can, esp, in the tummy area, as estrone needs to be held in fat.
    The only thing I have ever found to help with this is weights classes…. no idea why
    'Myths which are believed in tend to become true'
    George Orwell

Today's amino update... day 4 of IV amino therapy complete. I think I can definitely say now that my mood has increased noticeably (although I blew up this afternoon ... die-off, or the fact I haven't had GABA except at bedtime for several days?), my cravings were a little less today than the previous days, energy remains mostly the same (although occasionally my legs are lighter to move), my nose has been clearer and my singing voice more flexible and controllable since day 1, and I'm sleep-deprived.

It was much easier to bear the waves today, as predicted. They were usually hardly noticeable.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Last night was weird. I blew up at my children in a way I haven't in ages, overreacted with my hubby, started coughing a lot again, couldn't sing as well this morning, and last night, this weirdness: I was in bed, wrapped up in the covers, and usually in that situation, I get warmer. Suddenly, though, I felt a coldness, but it wasn't from the outside; it came from my core. It lasted 10-15 minutes as I felt chilly even in all those covers and even though it was a much warmer day than earlier this week.

I also woke an hour early this morning. 7 hours does NOT WORK FOR ME.

I wonder if there's any possibility that the gluconeogenesis from excess protein could cause in me a reaction against the glucose? Could that be behind the change in my voice and increased cough? (Hope not.)

Yesterday I noticed I sometimes felt the waves in my tongue. The waves were much less yesterday, in general. They seem a bit stronger so far this morning, even at the same dose. Maybe just from being off overnight? Now I feel it high up in my throat, almost like a burning or a nerve sensation so high up it almost touches my tongue.

4 days off sugar and no weight loss of note.

Breakfast: leftover ham steak & sausage, roast beef, 3 eggs in 1T CO. I was trying to scrounge together pprotein; hopefully it wasn't so much it sends me into cramps & runs later.

Lunch: jerky

Tchaikovsky. I love Tchaikovsky.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-10-2014 at 06:47 AM.

I wonder if there's any way that behavioral addictions (gambling, sex, internet...) could interfere with benefiting from AA treatment? I don't know if they actually act on the opioid receptors, or make real endorphins, or what.