Page 133 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1372

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 133

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    3 second drip this morning! I'm really hoping I can fall asleep this morning. I need to catch up on sleep from getting up this early.

I just remembered that when I was driving home the first night, I felt just a little incapable. My driving was just a teeny tiny bit wonky.

Last night I didn't get the wound-up feeling, but still had a present l and felt physically better than I have been. This morning I realized I could fairly well bound up the stairs or run to the phone without my legs feeling like they weighed 100lb each. I love it when that happens! Not "euphoric" this morning - in fact, I was kinda "irritated with the world" in the car this morning, even while singing. But not dragging, and felt very physically and mentally capable and confident. (Till I got on the drip, that is!)

Strong cravings several times yesterday afternoon and evening.

It took a while to fall asleep last night and I found myself waking even more than the night before - many times - and thinking it was morning already. Fortunately, I fell right back to sleep very quickly each time. I also had tons of ridiculous dreams - the Baptist church that most of my hometown went to was meeting at my high school for some reason, and Big Mike from Chuck was teaching one of the Sunday School classes. It just got weirder from there. I hate having such busy, ridiculous dreams, especially when they leave me feeling unrested, but fortunately, I think I slept restfully despite them. Nonetheless, 8hrs/sleep per night is not cutting it for me. And now that the schools are open again, I have to wake even earlier to navigate the traffic.

Dinner last night: ground beef & carrots. Can't force a salad right now in this cold weather.

TODAY
    Breakfast - 3oz sausage, 3 eggs, 1 TB butter
    Lunch - leftover chicken in homemade buffalo sauce (butter + pure hot sauce)
    Dinner - too stuck on computer to make dinner. Homemade beef jerky + carrots.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

R3bekah is offline Senior Member
    Many prayers for you! May God restore your health completely!

jacobsen001 is offline Member
    Hi MamaGrok

I have been reading your journal with interest and appreciation- what a great deal of time and effort you have put in for everyone. Thank you so much.

I haven't read all of it so pls excuse all the gaps in my knowledge re your experience.
    I am new here. I am a 49 year old woman who is fairly fit and healthy, but going through the menopause.
    What I took from your journal so far is that you tried a few regimes, then tried PB and then the Leptin Reset. I had read another Leptin book as well as a few Paleo ones.

Then you discovered you had Hashimotos. On the menopause board I was on so many women had hashimotos - typical after oestrogen goes down and messes with the thyroid.
    I'm sure you know this but the other thing that messes with the thyroid is Intermittent Fasting and Low carbs, both of which you are/were doing. I'm not sure where you are at now. I haven't got to the end….

I used to get 'menopot' as we called it. My tummy at the bottom (uterus) would swell up and down all day (still does esp when my oestrogen is very low. If I can get a period using my bioidentical hormones the swelling is so much better)

I posted on the forum but found most to be unhelpful as I started on a Paleo low carb regime and felt things starting to go wrong with my body pretty quickly.
    It is so different for men and women (not fair) they can just do low carb PB and WOOSH the weight falls off, I do it and I get trembling, shaking and insomnia, racing mind. Weight loss yes, but at a dreadful price. I can tell you a very long story but to keep it short I have experience with all of this at my age - plenty has happened and keep going and one can encounter adrenal collapse, total hormone chaos.

I think there needs to be more emphasis from Mark that women should NOT reduce their carbs too low. I find 1 sweet potato a day makes a difference.

Paleo for Women | Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health

But please tell me more, how are you doing now? I am still way behind
    xxx

Thank you for sharing your experience! I know that many women have struggles, sometimes even permanent struggles, after going very low carb when they have thyroid issues. Dr. Shanahan has written a good bit about how women with screwed up thyroids can approach low carb without causing those problems (problems that didn't exist for the many low-carb peoples and periods of the past, but do now b/c we're so messed up), but I don't think that's what's going on with me. Here's why ...

My energy/mood/libido/interest fell off a cliff long before I ever considered low carb (or even "traditional foods", for that matter, much less paleo/primal). It never changed when I went low carb, and it never changed when I stopped low-carb. It hasn't mattered whether I'm eating moderate or high amounts of natural carbs, or bingeing on crappy carbs. Nothing seems to have mattered.

On the up side, I've never gotten any negative symptoms from going low carb, but on the other hand, I've never gotten the easy weight loss, either. My IF experience was kind of by accident - the big breakfast filled me up so much that I didn't need lunch. That failed after about six months, and that actually marks the beginning of the very gradual return of my cravings.

Interesting menopot experience! My bloating has gone through phases where it seems mostly to be very low, and other phases where it seems mostly to be very high (stomach area). I hope that one day I can get the hydrogen breath test to check for SIBO, but in the meantime, I'm unable to think about bloating at all b/c the sugar cravings are so bad that they're destroying my diet, and thus, my health, in much worse ways.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will keep it in my thoughts as I go forward.

If you read the last 2-3 pages, you'll see how things are going now. Not so good. I'm at a point of desperation with the cravings, which seem to respond only to increased protein, but I can't increase ittoo high or I get digestive distress, and even at full strength they still came back after six months. So I'm getting IV amino acid therapy, with the hopes of bypassing my digestive tract and filling my amino acid reserves. Here's hoping!

'I'm pretty sure endorphin deficiency is at the root of many of my issues. I see sugar/carb cravings, dissociation, excessive need for sleep, mood disturbances, no longer enjoying inherently enjoyable things, and several other things not currently at the top of my mind as evidence for it. So right this minute I'm sitting in a drug/alcohol treatment clinic paying an exhorbitant amount of money for IV amino acid therapy and praying with all my heart that this makes a major difference in my life.'

Hi MammaGrok
    I sent my last message to you from somewhere I was reading way back in your blog, which took me to the end…

Then I read the above..

Forgive me if you have already discussed and ruled this out but you are living from no regular carbs, just some sweet potatoes or rice, in your last meal. The leptin book I have does say not to give up a food group. And I do believe this is true for women.

Many years back I had terrible anxiety and horrific insomnia and mind racing for 3 years on a very restricted diet. And it was carbs that were missing. I cut them out again just now and went back immediately to that awful place.

I think at first when women have weight to lose they do very well, but when it gets down to the last few lbs the need for carbs can send a woman crazy (very young women may get away with it)

This is my experience but whenever I talk to other womens about an atkins style diet, or intermittent fasting it all comes out in the wash, and they too had to stop

no carbs - no seratonin = insomnia, anxiety, depression, plenty of adrenaline that makes you euphoric until you crash after a night of mind whizzing …..

x

Have you tried just adding a carb to your evening meal? You may find you did so well up to a point, and that point was when you were close to your ideal body weight. I feel your breakfast is good but your dinner lacks vegetables and a small carb.

did you read this link?

Paleo for Women | Carbohydrates for Fertility and Health

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience! I know that many women have struggles, sometimes even permanent struggles, after going very low carb when they have thyroid issues.
    low carb can CREATE thyroid issues!

and sorry to hijack your journal. I tried to email you privately but your inbox is full up.

I just wanted to try to help….

God Bless

I've been bingeing on carbs - all kinds of carbs, in huge amounts - for 12 months. Zero improvement. I was eating carbs all day long until this last week when I started sugar addiction treatment, and the doctor does not want me to eat any carbs at all during these 10 days.

I'm guessing your last posts went through while I was typing & entering mine, so you didn't get a chance to read that my problems - all of them - have existed for many years through all kinds of carb levels, and all kinds of carb types. That includes very slow weight loss, extreme sugar cravings, bloating, chronic fatigue, and the whole mess of it, all of which started long before I ever dreamed of reducing carb levels for the first time, back when I was eating a diet that primarily consisted of whole grains and fruit.

Also, I never have anxiety, depression, up-all-night-syndrome, or euphoria.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi
    Yes, sorry, my messages came through before I saw your post.
    But can I say that binging on carbs is obviously what you don't want. You want a low carb diet, but not very low carb as this is what is now leading to the binges.
    Eating a lot of protein and not much else can cause insulin resistance too. (I must find the link) so this is what is causing the cravings, especially when you got yourself to a low body fat level. I am not suggesting you to touch grains at all. And maybe not even fruit. I do think the primal blueprint is the way to go but with at least 50g-100g carbs a day which is still low carb.

Sorry to interfere. Just wanted to help. Pls tell me if you don't want me to post on here.