Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1371

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 128

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey there Mamagrok. I sure feel for you. You seem to be trying so hard to figure all this out. That in itself can be emotionally exhausting. I was wondering if you think the binges could be emotional at all? This was the key for me. I heard this lady in a podcast and it struck a strong cord in me so I got her book. It really helped me approach my sugar sensitivity/addiction differently. With God's grace it has really helped. I thought I would pass it along. ImageUploadedByMarks Daily Apple Forum1369788921.754346.jpg
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I have never had an emotional component to my binges. I seem to be somewhat unique in that respect. Lucky me, LOL.

Most of those who do have an emotional component, the emotional component is driven by neurotransmitter imbalance, and they usually have little or no trouble with the emotions anymore once the underlying imbalances are gone ... doesn't work for me, either. Some people can address the emotions alone without touching anything underlying, and yay for that working!!

I'll keep plugging along, b/c giving up certainly isn't an option!

I ate an entire pineapple yesterday, followed a few hours later by 1 or 2 more pineapples in dried form. Yippee. Good news is, no dizziness or wooziness. So I seem to be able to binge even when my blood sugar is steady. Lucky me.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Well, here's some progress!

I decided to do the lamb and pears diet (total elimination, eating only two foods that you eat rarely), except I actually eat lamb fairly often and pears have a lot of sorbitol, so I chose turkey & blueberries instead. Here are the results so far:

*Before starting: 152lb, constantly bloated to look 4mo pg, look 6-7 after meals.
    *(morning of) Day 1: 152lb. Turkey & beef broth only. (And aminos - I did aminos all week. HCl. No other supps.)
    *Day 2: 152lb. When I'm lying on my back in bed in the morning, I feel what feels like air rising up my esophagus, gurgling into my throat, then released. Definitely not heartburn, not uncomfortable at all. It happens several times. Turkey & coconut oil & MCT oil & beef broth only. Runs after meals.
    *Day 3: 151lb. Turkey & beef broth & CO & MCT oil only. Runs after meals. AM gurgles continue. Stopped HCl.
    *Day 4: 150lb. Turkey & CO & MCT only. Runs after meals. AM gurgles. I weigh less at night than in morning. Amazing.
    *Day 5: 149lb. Turkey & CO & MCT & ox bile (after one meal). I think I had 1svg blueberries at the end of the day. No runs. Again, weigh less at night than in morning.
    *Day 6: 147.5lb. Turkey & CO & MCT & 1svg blueberries. No runs. Had a sip of blueberry juice & some dried blueberries at end of day, but didn't like them. Weighed .5lb more at night than in morning. Bloating is now looking 3mo pg when I wake & just a little bit more after meals.
    *Day 7: 147.5lb. Turkey, CO, MCT, 2svg blueberries. 1C black peach tea at lunch, 2 GlucoBalance vitamins at lunch. 1 bite jellyfish & 1 bite kim chee at dinner. These may have had trace sauce on them, although I tried to remove any on the jellyfish. Could the kim chee have had (grain-based) vinegar instead of being fermented? I started bloating very soon after dinner and weighed 150 by bedtime. 2.5lb gain!!! 2 more vitamins a little while after dinner, but also after the bloating had already begun. Some AM gurgles.
    Day 8: 149lb. AM gurgles, even hours after rising.

+'s: First progress I've made against bloating and weight gain in FIVE MONTHS.

-'s: I clearly have a serious food intolerance going on, and I'd bet it's something that is going to make my life very difficult trying to live without. It may be as difficult as vinegar. How can I ever eat in a restaurant again if I have to avoid vinegar? It's in so many things, and so hard to have a chef identify. Many don't even know what kind of vinegar is in their dressings, for instance. Is it real wine vinegar, or just white vinegar with food coloring? Real apple cider vinegar, or "apple cider flavored vinegar"? A lot don't read the labels of their bottles closely enough to know.

The gurgles are interesting. Despite all this bloating for all these years, I have not had any gas associated with it. Is it now coming up vertically instead?

I noticed that my stomach is tender (painful when palpated) 24/7.

Information is power. It's going to take some major patience and perseverance to work through this bit by bit over weeks or maybe even months. Should I try the things I think are most likely the culprits soon so I don't run out of patience, or should I try only what I guess will be the safest foods for as long as I can and build up a strong base of "yes" foods, even if it means eating only the things I prepare by hand from scratch myself for months in the process?
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 06-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.

More recent findings:

- 5HTP in the afternoon seems to be giving me spinning mind & RLS at night, even without the abdominal cramps that usually accompany those. I'm now avoiding it after 2pm.
    - l-tryp may have been responsible for my very efficient sleep. I ran out 2-3 weeks ago, and in the last few days have started needing to sleep >9hrs again. I slept 10hrs the night before last for no reason that I could discern, and still woke (when dh woke me) feeling I needed to sleep much longer. Dreams are very vivid and busy and tiring. I'm still taking GABA.
    - I think the Ross-recommended amino complex I got (and take 3 of, 3x/day) may have been the end of bad cravings. Time will tell more, but so far, the binges went from every 3-4 days to <1/week, and it's actually been 12 days since the last binge. This is really helping me stick to the super bland elimination diet.
    - I started drinking salt water again 2 days ago, b/c a week without salting my food = orthostatic hypotension back with a vengeance!
    - Mood has been *great* lately. I am smiling a lot, wanting to go out and do things with my family instead of just sit and work at the computer.

* Day 9: 147.75lb. Gurgles all day. Turkey, CO, MCT, turkey broth, frozen blueberries. I think this was the day I had a few bites of cantaloupe. Was up 2.25lb by day's end. Now I have NO IDEA AT ALL how that happened. The only variables were that the berries were frozen instead of perfectly fresh (no additives, organic, etc.), and the broth was turkey instead of beef like last week. Runs after meals even though I took ox bile this morning. ? I hate it when I can't figure things out!
    * Day 10: 149, IIRC. No gurgles that I recall. No runs, no ox bile. Forgot fat until dinner.

I realized yesterday that only about twice since starting the aminos two months ago have I had what I feel are scary lapses in mental health. That's pretty darn awesome. So chalk another one up for aminos. As we speak, though, I have a headache that is putting me into a quiet room to ease it. That is pretty rare now, too, though, and thanks be to God for that.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 06-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried acacia powder for the runs? It's helped me. I found it on amazon.com. I take 1 tablespoon. Initially it was daily, now it's every now and then.

I'm so sorry for the troubles you are encountering. I pray that God gives you wisdom as you continue this journey. Big hugs.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Haven't tried it; might some day!

Day 11: 146.75 (phew). No gurgles. Some cramps post-lunch. Ran out of turkey & lamb, so it's pork day. CO, MCT, blueberries (whole).

My skin is getting smoother again. I had a fierce headache last night, though.

Day 12: 145.5. No gurgles so far today; just a couple yesterday. Feel sluggish & sleepy post-lunch. (Pastured) Pork, CO, MCT, blueberries, GlucoBalance vitamins (2 per meal).

I would think that yesterday's results mean that pork is safe for me, at least as far as bloat & weight show?

The measuring tape shows the weight is coming off of trunk, hip, forearm/wrist, calf, upper thigh, hip pockets. Oddly, not waist.

What happens when I go away for two days, spend tons of time in the sun, breathe lots of fresh air, swim, and eat nothing but pastured pork, coconut oil, blueberries, cantaloupe, 2 strawberries, & at the very end, grassfed beef with natural spices?

I gain 4.5lb. :P

Bloat bloat bloat. The beef definitely seemed to contribute, but I have to wonder if the pork over time did, too.

Woke up at "only" 148 this morning. Felt very disturbed & tired this evening. I've been having very vivid & bothersome dreams lately, and inefficient sleep, and wonder if getting back on l-tryp will help.

Just ran out of GABA & l-tyro. I don't think I need them as much.

I dreamed about ice cream & tater tots two nights ago and, sure enough, had cravings last night. That's why I ate the beef .. I had already had a ton of pork & fat, and needed desperately to eat something delicious, adn the only thing that wasn't horribly off-elimination-diet-plan was the already-cooked beef.

Nothing but pork & blueberries & the same beef today (ran out of pork temporarily).

Alright, after three weeks on the elimination diet, I learned that I think my problem really may be eating too much protein/fat at once. I think my digestion just may not be able to handle the BAB, but of course, I desperately needed the BAB to save me from BED.

Notice I said "needed" - the amino acids seemed to kick in finally. I'm not sure if it just took a month or two, or if it was finally increasing the DPA + DLPA (2 of each 3x/day), or if it was adding the Essential Aminos (3 3x/day) (I'm pretty sure this did something big), but I am on the border of not caring what I eat anymore. I keep accidentally upping the fruit (whole fruit), and definitely still overeat if I get my hands on dried pineapple or other (mostly tart) fruit (but oddly, not raisins), but I don't even like the TJ's peppermint patties that are just choc, pepp oil, & honey!

I think I *need* something in the GABA/l-tryp combo for solid sleep, and I think I figured out why. Check this out, from a description of sleep problems in some with hypermobility syndrome:

"If they are able to fall asleep, they may continue to make too much adrenaline overnight, giving them a shallow, dream-filled sleep, so that they wake feeling unrefreshed."

That describes my sleep issues to a T. Haven't I been saying this all along, that I feel I spend too much time in the dream state and don't get enough of the deep sleep? It says that the adrenaline comes from the body trying to compensate for (daytime?) fatigue (caused by other things?). Certainly that would make sense in my case.

With the GABA/l-tryp combo, I was sleeping solidly every night, and waking after 8hrs sometimes (instead of 9-10, unrested). I ran out of l-tryp, my sleep went downhill after a week or so, got more. Ran out of GABA, got more, tried one, got a big headache, decided to hold off. I've been out about two weeks now and just last night I woke at 5am after 6hrs of sleep and couldn't get back to sleep (in the middle of a cycle of wake/dream/wake/dream/wake/dream where I couldn't tell which part I was in but for the fact that I knew I wasn't naked in a field). The solution to adrenaline is to mop it up with beta blockers(?) I guess Valium stuff, and I think GABA should fit the bill nicely. So I'll try it again soon.

I'm very surprised I haven't collapsed yet after getting only 6hrs last night. I got sleepy late morning, but didn't succumb. Better than last week (when dried fruit gave me 5lb of bloat/water) when I got wiped out by sleepiness mid-day twice, giving me an unwanted hour and a half nap.

Got a new doc last week and thin khe might be a keeper. Nice medium between allopathic and voodoo doctor. Neither/nor. He Rx'd more Naturethroid, down to 1.5/day (not sure he's right about this) and DSF Herbal, which is an adrenal support combo that appears to have ... amino acids in it! in addition to herbs. Tastes awful! It says to take 1/day and he has me on 2 on rising and 2 at noon! After two days, I made it through today without yelling or headaches. I kept almost flinching, expecting a headache when my boys would cross me, and ... it didn't come. I didn't get worked up. I didn't just *want* to stay calm; I *did* stay calm. (90% of the time, much better than the last few years.) Could it be ...?

Was 145.25 last week, but now 150 again. Thanks, bloat. :P Size 8s still fit, though, so not sure what's up with that.