Page 127 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1371

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 127

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Popping in to say hi Mamagrok. I'm thinking I'll be checking in a bit more often... Especially with the new app. I started a new journal today. Just wanted something fresh.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

moon7 is offline Member
    Hello MamaGrok! My binges seems to be so similar to yours. I usually binge on yogurt and honey and nuts. I am trying LR again but the binging comes back. I raised my BAB protein to 70 gr and still manage to binge. I eat low carb (of course not when I binge). I wonder if keeping it low carb back fires on me (maybe serotonin gets too low?) I recently raised my carbs to 60 gr and still managed to binge. I don't eat grains at all and eat all organic and grass-fed. I usually binge around ovulation and PMS. I can gain real 10 lb of fat as I consume massive quantities of yogurt and honey. Once I get my period I go VLC and manage to lose 5 lb and continue the vicious cycle again. Do you have any advise for me. Thank you so very much! You are an inspiration.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Howdy, y'all!

Moon - how's your fat intake? If your BAB is high, and fat is plenteous, and you binge whether high carb or mod carb or VLC (all of these are also true for me), then you might try the amino acids recommended by Julia Ross. L-glutamine @ 500-5000mg 4x/day sublingually, & DPA or DLPA 4x/day @ 500mg. While I"m not sure yet if these are helping me, they have helped a LOT of people.

One other thing that I think has helped is that I have one rule that is absolutely inviolable on my binges - NO WHEAT. Wheat destroys my digestion and makes it so that none of my other attempts at good health will take. My cravings seem to be willing to accept that compromise ... I still find plenty of things to binge on somehow, lol. Like yogurt and honey and nuts. I do try to make a rule of no nuts or dairy, with nuts being worse for my digestion personally, but I can't always hold to it, especially to the dairy. My body *will* do what it needs to do to find the carbs available out there, and if something with dairy is all that's available, even if that means my cravings drive me to the store to buy cheesecake and eat everything but the crust, that's what the cravings will have me do.

It's really odd as someone who prided herself for years on being purely intellect- and reason-driven to find myself losing the driver's seat to physiological urges beyond my control.

Anyway, check out the AA's. I had read Ross' questionnaire before and never quite realized that she says that "Eating for pleasure", when eating carbs gives you a *tremendous* amount of pleasure, is a sign that you need DPA, stat. So I'm really being religious about taking especially that one. Apparently DPA & l-glut (& 5HTP) work rapidly for most people ... they're working slower for me, but then again, I'm the one who starved myself eating low-fat from age 18 to 31, and skipped many meals for most of that time to make up for the between-meal bingeing, not to mention created severe fat & veg malabsorption/digestion by my massive wheat intake, so in essence, I ate almost no nutrients for well over a decade. I can't really expect to heal overnight.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

My symptoms are not at all connected with my cycles ... but I just realized the other day that it's almost like I am PMS'ing every day of the month. Bloating, moodiness, cravings .... got 'em all, every week, every day, every month, no respite.

Estrogen has got to be a huge part of the picture for me.

moon7 is offline Member
    Thank you so much for replying, MamaGrook.
    I just took the questionnaire and I am low in serotonin, gaba/cortisol, endorphin, blood sugar. I have her DietCure but never got into taking any supplements. Maybe I should try it, as nothing is working.
    Thanks goodness I don't eat wheat. I try not to keep the nuts, yogurt and honey in the house but the cravings are so strong that I go to store to buy in the instant. It is sickening and no one would believe that I can eat so much.
    Are you still on LR?

Believe you me, I know those cravings. It is truly unbelievable if you haven't experienced it yourself.

I still eat a 50g BAB. I think that one thing the AA's did for me is that they have enabled me to go from a 70g to a 50g without an increase in cravings. For over a year, I had to have at least 65g to keep cravings away. 70g w/o AA's seems to be about the same level of cravings as 50g w/ AA's for me, I think. I do still observe the timing, b/c I simply don't need snacks anymore, and don't see any good reason to eat w/i 3hrs of bed most of the time.

Kruse was definitely right when he said that indiscretions will put you back 10-14 days on the LR. They did for me every time. It took me 6 months to get 6 straight weeks of LR with no binges. I never saw any magic from the full LR, though, just the benefits of crave-suppression (to a strong, but not total) extent from the BAB.

I got the Diet Cure from the library. It's a worthwhile read, I think.

Alright, I'm having a hard time getting motivated to journal, and I really need to keep journal to keep track of the mysteries of food reactions.

So I'll try this while I'm working Julia Ross' The Diet Cure stuff (most of which I was already doing):

1-AA's for brain chemistry (mood, energy, cravings...)
    2-Eat real, primal food, >30g protein at every meal, lots of veggies
    3-Blood sugar & adrenals - Chromium, no grains
    4-Thyroid - NDT
    5-Avoid allergens - wheat, dairy (butter, too, at first), sugar, soy, corn. Test one at a time, carefully.
    6-Hormones - looks like estrogen imbalance is big for me from symptoms. DIM, Calc D-gluc, maybe dong quai & bl cohosh, eventually progesterone/pregnenolone once I get a doc working with me...
    7-Yeast. No sweeteners, starches, grains, nuts, legumes. OOO, garlic, CO. I've already done this, but I'll try again for a while. I'm negative on stool tests for candida and blood tests for anti-candida antibodies.
    8-Fatty acid deficiency. fCLO. Badabing.

I'll get more specific when I get my book back down here. Right now I'm having gross cravings several times a week and it's not going well. I'm extremely sleepy right now.

The good - the AA's seem to be making my sleep more efficient. I'm waking up after 8 1/4 hrs and not able to sleep any more. Still plenty of energy most of the time (7 or 8 / 10) and mood pretty good most of the time. I've been back on 4 drops iodine / day for 2-3 weeks.

Sorry to those who have PM'd me and I haven't gotten back to you, and those who found my box full. This might be a better place for conversation, b/c I don't constantly have to delete messages to keep the box from getting full.

About two weeks ago, I started waking up between 7:20 & 7:50 each morning. Unless I go to bed after midnight, I don't seem to be able to sleep past 8. THAT IS WONDERFUL!!!! I am so tired of the decade of having to get 9+hrs sleep/night! I hope it's gone for good! Of course, as I say this, I'm totally sleepy, but that's not a normal thing for me most days. A few short stints in the afternoon, but not like today - it has been several hours so far.

Anyway, what did it? The full-fledged daily aminos, including full GABA & l-tryp at bedtime, and then some? Dunno.

Two days ago, I started the Essential amino complex. I think it gave me a boost in energy, mood, & decreased cravings. Subtle, but there. Yesterday I started DPA (had been on DLPA), DIM, St. John's Wort, & got back on l-tyro (had run out). Yes, I know I should try one thing at a time, but I am DESPERATE to turn around the cravings, bloating, and weight gain. I was 150.5lb yesterday, btw. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I feel for sure that I had an even further boost in energy and mood yesterday. I almost felt like a real human being all day long. Most of today, too, except for the afternoon sleepyathon.

I'm still taking at or above the bottom line Diet Cure recommendations for l-tyro, DLPA & DPA, Amino Complex, 5-HTP (afternoon, L-tryp (evening), St. John's Wort, GABA, & L-glut (actually WAY over her rec's for this). I'm not noticing much.

*No real decrease in cravings. Thought there was a reduction of the propensity to binge, till I ate half a carton of ice cream Sunday.
    *No real increase in energy.
    *No sign of side effects of too much, though, either, like headaches, jitteriness, etc.

This leads me to think I need more of everything. I'm going to read her protocols for increasing dosages very carefully and then start.

I think I'm VERY VERY deficient in endorphins. I need to cut-and-paste what I said at OHC about that here.

*One change I have noticed - no "sugar head." When I eat fruit or corn chips or even half a carton of ice cream, I don't get the spinning head I usually get from sugar. Very interesting. I don't think it's the l-glut, unless it took two months for that to kick in, but maybe the Chromium supplement? I've been doing 200mcg 1-3x/day, usually 2x. Also am taking DIM (2 tabs 2 meals/day) & saw palmetto still (has selenium in it). And just started the zinc tally a few days ago. Tastes mostly like water.
    *I am still sleeping like a ROCK and have been ever since starting the aminos with the exception of the 3 day period I described here. I am asleep before I even have a chance to get my prayers in, sleep like a rock, go back to sleep immediately after waking, and often need only 8-8.5hrs sleep. YAY for this. I haven't had any more of the head-thudding sudden need to sleep I had the first few days, even as I've slowly started testing GABA &/or l-tryp in the late afternoon again.

I noticed that when I first tried l-glut, it tasted nasty, like powdered cheese. Then it tasted somewhat sweet when I started it up again about 1-2 months ago. Then it tasted like cheese in the midst of the ice cream bout (desperate try to stop it, didn't work). Now it's somewhat sweet again. Odd.

Biggest current problems:
    - bingeing at least once a week.
    - constant bloating, but it's clearly worse when I throw in the towel and eat something other than meat/fat
    - still holding on to the ~18lb of unexplained gain from Feb/Mar

Good things:
    - runs are rare, even without ox bile. I feel like I need it about once/3-4 days, strangely.
    - decent energy. It's been somewhat low this last week, mostly want to sit, but feel good most of the time doing it
    - mostly good moods
    - occasional glimpse into skin/libido feeling human again. These had stopped around Jan. Started almost immediately after I started saw palmetto/DIM. Bad estrogen metabolites getting mopped up?