Page 122 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1372

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 122

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Two days crap-free. I notice that I'm curling up into a ball between 1:30 & 3:30, headache, sensitive to sound, can't talk loud w/o worsening the headache, just "getting through" the rest of schoolwork and seeking housework that doesn't require me to stand. This has been going on a few weeks. Maybe two?

Found this interesting random comment on a thyroid thread somewhere:
    Symptoms of low adrenal function are chronic fatigue that worsened as the day progresses, low stamina, reduced resistance to allergies and infections, cold intolerance, cravings for sugars and starches, low blood pressure, low body temperature, difficulty concentrating or working under pressure, decreased appetite, low blood sugar, depression, excessive need for sleep, and joint and muscle aches. Low adrenals may alter tissue sensitivity to thyroid hormone, so the replacement hormone doesn?t work as well as it should (although it will work to some degree).
    (I bolded my issues. "Depression" only in the sense of losing interest in most activities (mostly b/c it's not worth the effort I need to summon to do them).)

Knock knock, hello.

pw3
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-07-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I realized yesterday that I've lost much of my upper leg & upper arm hair again. Not all, but it's sparse.

Also realized that it's been three full days since I had any carbs or dairy, yet I'm still incredibly bloated. It's not going down at all. I wonder if the d-ribose could be contributing.

I upped the d-rib to 5gm 2x/day yesterday, and Iodine to 11 drops. Taking Mg L-threonate in AM instead of PM now and will add Mg Malate to PM in another few days. I'm not feeling any effects from the d-rib yet.

Still feeling improved wake-ups from moving my NDT to 2hrs before my alarm goes off. I'm at 1gr then, 1gr at rising, 1gr at 11am, 1gr at 1pm. Sometimes I'm skipping one of the later two doses, as I really need to back down again. Way too much T4, FT3, RT3. I'm running at about 70% early morning & late evening, but 30% between 1:30 & 3:30. Obviously NDT is not going to be the whole answer to the CFS.

pw3
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-09-2013 at 05:19 AM.

Upping d-rib to 3x today. Got more HCl. Wondering if my current ox bile (already finished two different products that did work) isn't working - still bloated & swollen after almost a week of no dairy/carb, and having cramps & runs again.

That would make skiing tomorrow very inconvenient. !

Got blindsided by some chocolate covered peanuts yesterday. I don't know why they even looked appealing (I hate peanut M&Ms, after all), but maybe after already turning down GF pizza & GF cupcakes made specially for my kids at a party and offered to me (I had no problem turning them down after thinking for a moment about their source (all store bought or store mixes and I know I don't like those)), I was subconsciously feeling a little woe-is-me? Ate a bag (about 600cal, 100g carb, IIRC).

Two days ago, my sluggish hour moved from 1:30-3:30 to 5:30-7:30, but yesterday it was earlier again, although not totally terrible. I was having trouble coping with some wrong directions, but managed, and it passed relatively quickly. (Things like that did NOT used to bother me at all, before "the demise" 6 years ago.)

woke at 5:40 yesterday morning and couldn't get back to sleep. wasn't sleepy xcept for during the sluggish hour, and then went to bed at 11. Woke again at 5:40! I felt wide awake at first, but then realized I could probably get back to sleep, and did within 20-30 minutes and slept till alarm at 8.

I'm looking forward to some fresh, cool air the next few days!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Hi there Mamagrok. It's been awhile for me logging into MDA. I came specifically looking for you. You are kind of my Primal sister in a weird way. I had noticed you made it past your goal for weight loss and sent you a private message...then I saw your posts on your GI issues. I thought this can't be! That is what I am dealing with now. What the heck? Three weeks ago I cut out all forms of sugar. Two weeks into it my digestion took a turn for the worse. I have had IBS-D symptoms off and on all my life. It cleared up mostly after going primal then it would flare up - usually when I would eat too many fibrous vegetables or certain FODMAPS. I've been experimenting with digestive enzymes and HCL. It's helped some. I saw my Dr and she suggested soluble fiber. She suggested Citrucel, but I did not want to be taking that. So I added a bit of rice or applesauce with each meal. It slowed things down, but still not optimal. I am still very bloated and have some pain when I eat or drink right in the center of my ribcage(kind of right below ribcage) Then a naturopath suggested acacia powder. It just arrived today.

Another thought for myself is that in the last 3 months I have switched my exercise. I went from 2x week to 5x week. I was getting up earlier, but not going to bed sooner. maybe this weight gain is part of a stress response. I know my gut is very sensitive to stress.

One thing the naturopath talked about ( I went to a class on digestion she was doing) was that if our digestion is poor we can begin to build up an immune response (IGg) to food that we regularly eat, but don't digest well so then it gets through the lining and our body begins to attack that. I thought that was interesting. Since cutting out sugar I bloated up 4 lbs with measurements going up too. It was so discouraging! I have an appt with this naturopath to get my gut tested finally. Time to see what's growing in there. I'm so tired of the guessing game. I know you can understand. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I sure hope you find a solution soon. Healing blessings coming your way.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Hi again,

I was just curious. I thought you mentioned that you may have hashimoto's. Isn't iodine really bad for that? I apologize, I have not read back many months of your journal.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Iodine can make Hashi's flare *IF* you don't have enough selenium. It's usually recommended to take Se for 2-4 weeks (200mg/day) before starting Iodine. I took it for 3 months first, then started at one drop per day. I haven't seen any worsening of thyroid stuff at all, even as I'm also slowly backing down my NDT dose (which got too high long before I considered iodine).

Is the pain in the very center, or slightly to the right? I developed RUQ (right upper quadrant) tenderness after starting the leptin reset. I have long thought I was lucky never to have had gall bladder problems after going fat-free for 15 years and then re-starting fat. But I think it must have just been on the border, and when I upped the morning protein & fat dramatically, that was more than my GB could take all at once after so many years of abuse with no fat.

I think my liver is making bile just fine, and they found "no stones" or sludge in it with an ultrasound, but it seems the GB is not releasing bile until long after my meals (instead of letting it slowly out) and is dumping it all in a rush a few hours later, causing bad cramps & runs.

All that has stopped since I started ox bile. If I take too little, I get it again in small amounts. If I take too much, I get runs w/o cramps. 500mg for my huge huge breakfast is abotu right, an dI take half that with my normal sized dinner.

IDK if that might be a direction for you to pursue. If your pain is dead center immediately under the breastbone, it seems more like the stomach area, and maybe HCl is a better avenue to pursue? H. pylori?

3 days skiing for me = fresh air, cold air, sunshine (sunburned nose on third day, oops!), speed rushes, low low stress. I realized I haven't had a headache in four days (since our first driving day). Probably simply b/c I haven't had any children resist what I was asking them to do (my usual trigger), since they were only being asked to do things they wanted to do! But could be something else to it.

I'm out of ribose as of tonight. I'll go without a week or so and see if this terrible bloating & water retention go away. They're persistent. I also crave the taste of the ribose, not b/c it's good (it's not, really), but b/c it's just straight up sweet. Darn.

I've been eating about one whole and small small amounts of dried fruit each day this week, with trace amounts of sugar, and that's better than any ski trip I've managed so far. Good results. I know that, too, needs to go, but just glad there was nothing worse coming out of the tim eout of town. We got a kitchen unit and cooked bkfst & dinner. Everyone (but me, IF) had carrots, homemade jerky, apples, cheese sticks, & homemade fruit leather for lunch. Cheap, and back to the slopes faster, and no need to disrobe b/c we could just eat outside!

D-ribose report: took 5, then 10, then 15gm/day for two weeks:

1 - bloating & water retention won't go down no matter what I do
    2 - subtle but solid increase in physical energy
    3 - mood meltdowns disappeared then got worse than ever
    4 - sugar binge

In that order.

I think #1 could be from a little carb intake on a few days (berries). But the swelling is drastically out of proportion to that. Or it could be that my new ox bile sucks. I kind of suspect the latter, b/c cramps & runs are back here and there. Jarrow & Cholecol worked well; I think this one is Nutricology.

I think #2 could be the d-rib or continued increase in iodine or continued thyroid improvement or continued improvement from circadian T3. Not sure.

I think #3 could be b/c being on the slopes made all better, and within a day of being back at home, I was falling apart mid-afternoon again, in more dramatic fashion than before. I am doing things I never in my life would have imagined, like crying because I have to leave the house. I used to be one who disdained those who were affected by their emotions. Now my emotions are running amok.

I think #4 could be the d-rib, too. It may not be a sugar, but it TASTES like it, and my taste buds know, just like they know when you eat Splenda or xylitol or aspartame that things taste sweet. I had a disaster tonight after nearly a week clean. Partly b/c of an all seafood day.

I'm out of d-rib now. I was planning to go without a week or two to see if energy runs low again, but then was frightened by the thought of losing the energy, and now am even more frightened by the binge. Dunno...

It hasn't affected my sleep, unless it's to let me survive on 8 or 8.5 hrs instead of desperately needing 9+.

It does nothing good for my appetite. I absolutely find myself craving it like I crave any other sweet thing.

I will never do an all seafood day again.

I knew I shouldn't. I knew that every time I have seafood without land meat and/or land animal fat, I get crazy cravings. But I thought, it's a Friday during Lent; I should at least try.

I ate a POUND of wild salmon for breakfast, in at least 1/3C coconut oil. I was thoroughly full until 4, when I got hungry. Really hungry. True hunger, not cravings. I figured, true hunger, I can deal with that. It's part of the fasting.

Then like lightning, before I realized it, it turned into monster cravings. Before I knew it, I was at the store buying yog-raisins, dried fruit, & fudge, and eating it all in the garage.

This didn't happen last year during Lent. I think d-rib is keeping me primed for sweet tastes, even though it does not act as a sugar in the body. Just a theory.

Ski report:

Day 1 - headache & morning meltdown when I was resisted after making a very reasonable request. Plenty of energy.
    Day 2 - no headaches, even when kids didn't do what I was asking. Forgot mid-morning thyroid, felt sleepy on lift around 1:30; that is all. Plenty of energy to ski, get ready, etc.
    Day 3 - no headaches, no meltdowns. Took thyroid doses, no sleepiness.
    Day 4 - drive home. No headaches, even when kids weren't perfect. Sleepy in car around 2, took nap and felt fine. Plenty of energy.
    Day 5 - back home. Major headaches in afternoon when kids wouldn't comply with schoolwork, major major emotional meltdown in late afternoon. Curl-up-and-hide feeling lasted from 3:30 - 6:30.

Is it something in my home? Increased EMF? (Snowshoe has only one cell provider b/c of nearby massive radio telescope requesting near radio silence. Wifi in room, though.) Simple lack of fresh air and/or grounding? What?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmmm, it's been a long time since I pulled out this format.

Won't weigh till thigh swelling is down. It was up an inch (24") at last check.
    BBT - 98.2 (CD22)

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast: 50gm protein w/i 30m: 80.100m
    - 5+ hrs between meals: .10 .
    - Done eating by 7:30, 3.5hrs b4 bed: 7:55.3
    - No snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:yes.yes?.no
    - Sun in day, dark@sunset:no.@8pm
    - Minutes grounded: 0
    - Cold: house@66day56night, bkfst@37&overcast

Supps
    D12K, Bcmplx50, Se200, Curcumin. CO, ACV, Green Tea, 3Mgs, NDT: yes.y/y/n/MgThr/4gr (5:40/7:40/11/11:40)
    3HCl, OxBile, Bitters (out) per meal: bkfst.2/n dinner
    NAC(glutathione), Zn, D-Rib: y(1200).yes.out
    Other (DigEnz, Feverfew, Milk Thistle, Probx, VitC): Fvrfw, DigEnz w/ dinner
    Organs, seafood, broth, ferments: yes(Organ Delight).no.no.no

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh, carb): trace sugar & pepper in ssg. Canola & sugar in dinner chips

B - huge pile of meat (ssg, pork chop, roast beef), sw tater w/ butter. craving till it was all downed
    L -
    D - pile of meat, frz-dried fruits & sweet potato chips

Results
    - Energy: 6. Mood: 6 - started a headache, but bypassed it.
    - Bloating: 5m AM. 6PM
    - Skin: soft
    - Sleep: solid all week, including falling asleep much faster each night, but lastnight, woke many times, although I fell back to sleep quickly. VERY dry overnight.

Thyroid feels less hard. Most likely was b/c dose was too high.

Notes on my supp codes:
    I'm aiming for the B complex every other day, b/c I seem to excrete so much yellow that I wonder if 50 is too much for me.
    I aim for 1T ACV, 2C green tea.
    Aiming for 144mg Mg L-Threonate in AM, 200-400mg Mg Orotate @noon, 800mg Mg Malate 2hrs before bed.
    Doing 1800mg NAC daily right now.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-17-2013 at 07:17 AM.