Page 113 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1372

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 113

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    food allergies are low grade inflammation that is fought off by the GALT behind the brush border. An AI is the same process further along that has altered the cellular signaling in the GALT to allow for abnormal AB production that seeks and out and destroy our own tissues that have cell membrane receptors that look similar to the foods that have cause the chronic low grade inflammation over time. The generation of an AI revolves around the ability of chronic inflammation to subvert the Toll Receptor proteins in the immune system to affect both sides of the immune system. (cell mediated and AB production) The type of AI you get depends upon the Ag presented chronically by the food and how the homology of the AB looks to your normal tissues. It is a very complex cellular event that always involves inflammation and micronutrient depletion to slowly destroy cellular signaling. The goal to treatment is to cease the inflammation, and allow the body to heal itself by removing the toxins and antigens that set the process off.

from JK vit D blog:

Can you have a normal plasma D level and still have low vitamin D activity? Yes you can, and it is probably the biggest silent epidemic out there today. I most commonly see this in obese folks with hypothyroidism. 90% of the cases of hypothyroidism in the USA are cause by Hashimoto’s disease. This disease is anautoimmune disease and these patients universally have defective VDR receptors. That means they need very high levels of blood Vitamin D levels and optimization of their thyroid function to get results.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 10-09-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Nota bene: peanuts make me gassy now. Yippee. And I accidentally had wheat yesterday (soy sauce in jerky, GAR!!! can't they even make meat in small business apple farms without WHEAT?!).

And next: Why does Dr. Kruse say to test eggs, when he says absolutely to avoid, say, nuts? He says to see if BCM-7 test says to avoid dairy, but that the right kind of dairy is okay if your test is negative. If these foods are automatically bad for AI, why would he say this?
    Cordain says eggs are a bit different too (as in not as bad as grains), in the interview I linked to above. Perhaps this is where Dr. Kruse is coming from on testing eggs. Cordain also says that eggs were seasonal in our ancestor's time . . . so that even if they had an AI gentoype and started to develop AI the gut could theoretically heal in the off season.

I think that what Dr. Kruse might be saying regarding dairy (he said it to me to in my consult) is that if you are BCM-7 negative, then you might get away with eating heavy cream and ghee (since they are mostly fat and theoretically have only trace protein) from A1 cows, or the occasional dairy from A2 cows.

Cordain on how lectins are sticky, transporting pathogens & antigens into the bloodstream, adding insult to injury when the gut is leaky: Loren Cordain – Autoimmune Disease and Food Triggers | Me and My Diabetes
    Always bad: wheat,
    Can become bad: dairy
    Bad if in the wrong company: tomatoes
    Might be bad: egg whites

[QUOTE=MamaGrok;924043]137
    BBT - 97.0 (CD 15)
    364 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(40m).
    - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 6 (too long).4.5 (too short)
    - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: no(8).close.
    - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% primal, GAPS: yes.no(fruit strips).yes.yes.
    - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:no.sorta.
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO:yes.none.

Morning
    D5K, Bcmplx150: out.yes.
    HCl, DigEnz, Bitters: no.yes.yes.
    CO, Probx: 2T.yes.
    Feverfew, Curcumin:
    Organs, broth, ferments: liver/heart/kidney.yes.pickle juice.

Midday
    15m sun, Cold: no.no.
    Salt, Potassium: big pinch.yes.
    Se200, Seaweed: no.
    Green tea, VitC, ACV: 2C.no.no.
    Glutathione, Zinc: no.
    Mg, Liver support: LEFMag.no.

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh):

B -
    L -
    D -

Results
    - Energy: 6. Mood: 6.
    - Bloating:
    - Skin:
    - Sleep:

This is not really my report for today. Just setting up a template for tomorrow.

BBT - (CD )
    364 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein, w/i 30m of rising: yes.no(60m).
    - 5+ hrs between B/L & L/D: 8.5hrs between B/D
    - finished dinner by 7:30, 3.5hrs between dinner & bed: .
    - no snacking, <50g carb/day, 100% epi-paleo:yes.yes.yes
    - morning temp & sun; dark house @ sunset:yes.yes
    - no PUFA's other than fish:yes

Morning
    D5K, Bcmplx150: 16k.no
    HCl, DigEnz, Bitters, OxBile: out.no.no.yes
    CO, Probx: 1.5T.no
    Feverfew, Curcumin, Thyroid: no.no.1+1/2grain+TG
    Organs, broth, ferments: liver.chicken.sip kombucha

Midday
    15m sun, Cold: no.bit
    Se200, Seaweed:
    Green tea, VitC, ACV: yes.no.no
    Glutathione, Zinc: no.no
    Mg, Liver support: .(can't remember what the latter meant)

Suspect foods (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh): trace sugar & pepper in ssg

B - Soup of chicken broth, shrimp, greens, bacon grease, CO, liver
    L -
    D - bkfst sausage, 3 cloves raw garlic (feeling phlegmy & lymphnodey), CO, shrimp, sweet potato

Results
    - Energy: 6. Mood: 5 (a bit down/overwhelmed)
    - Bloating: 3m am.
    - Skin: super soft upper arms.
    - Sleep: solid 8.75hrs

I'm really struggling with cravings. I'm solid with refusing wheat & dairy (except butter) when indulging them, but the fruit, the gluten-free birthday cake for my son, it's killing me. I've got to stop. I've got to halt the cravings. They're not there most of the time, but somewhere between 3-6pm they hit and if I have even ONE bite of anything that feeds them, BAM I can't stop eating for a very long time. Gah! And here it is so close to one year!
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 10-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.

I've been taking naturethroid for almost a month, and am up to 1 grain AM, 1/2 grain + 1 Thyrogold after lunch. It has most definitely created a slow, steady increase in energy & mood/mood stability. I need to get labs again soon to see if my T4 is converting to free T3 properly.

I started ox bile last week and have seen a definite decrease in gall bladder area pain. Could it be that I'm just not releasing bile as I'm supposed to? My stools have started sinking! No more fat malabsorption? And there may be a negligible decrease in bloating. Maybe.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 10-29-2012 at 04:26 PM.

I'm Mamagrok, and I have BICD (biologically inappropriate cravings disorder). (Yeah, I just made that up.) Wanna join my club?

Meetings here, once/day, for accountability. I'm in a bad, bad place right now.

Beautymark is offline Junior Member
    Hello, MamaGrok! I've been reading your thread ever since I stumbled across Dr. Kruse's forum last year. Thank you very much for dedicating so much time to recording your trials and tribulations, your successes and your "what-am-I-doing-wrong?"s.

I just registered today because of what you wrote on 11-12-2012. I've struggled with binge eating disorder for pretty much all of my adult life and it is heartening to see your amazing progress against the same. Despite knowing WHAT to eat and WHEN to eat (thanks to this forum and several other resources about paleo eat), I have never been able to get a handle on my bingeing for even a week. Even when losing weight, I still binge, I just compensate the following day or two by dropping really low on calories. And I'm not even in the same galaxy as you are - I still have not been able to stay away from wheat or sugar - they are my go-to foods when I binge. Add in a stressful home life, and you get one accomplished binger.

Soooo.... I can't really contribute any meaningful advice or wisdom (as I'm new and still greatly (forever?) struggling), but I'd love to join your "BICD" club for the accountability part. Real or not?

Thanks again for your courage and tenacity. It has not gone unnoticed.

Hi! I'm really trying to get back into keeping up wiht this thing!

Don't worry; Beautymark, I binged on wheat and sugar for a decade before I could finally eliminate those. I wasn't able to eliminate wheat 100% until Jan 1, 2012.

Welcome to the club! Binge eating really is a vicious disease. With all other diseases/disorders, you just change you eating to go a long way toward fixing the problem. With bingeing, the disorder itself attacks your ability to choose the right foods.

The longer I live this, the more I know it truly is a disorder and has NOTHING to do with will power or character. When everything is right, for instance, from Jan to June of 2012 for me, there is nothing in the world that could get me to eat something I knew was a problem for me. It won't call to me. I have no interest in it whatsoever, and can't even imagine having an interest in it.

But when I'm primed, I can think of nothing else. No matter what I'm doing, I'm barraged with cravings.

And I've seen that cycle happen so many times, that I know it is not a character thing. Nothing changed my character one year ago, and nothing changed in June to suddenly make me a schlep again. Something biochemical happened, though, and it turned the switch on. Switch on, switch off, the question is, what flips the switch? I know some ofthe answers (having enough protein & fat, especially in the morning, helps so much), but not all of them, yet.

So update:

I have to confess, I finally binged. It was horrific or tragic or anything, but certainly out of control, and certainly more than anyone should eat. The days before & just after Halloween. I blew it just under a full year, but HEY - going a year between binges is better than having them three times a day!!

Thyroid - so much awesome here. I've been increasing Naturethroid 1/2 grain each two weeks, and am up to 2 AM grains, 1 PM grain now, plus a Thyrogold each day. Remember all those days I suddenly felt cheery, had no bloating, felt like dancing & running everywhere? I do now think those were probably Hashimoto's attacks where my body attacked its own thyroid and thyroid hormone was dispersed as a result. The reason I think that is a) I heard it could happen and b) all the symptoms I'd have so much of in one day have all now occurred, but VERY SLOWLY increasing as I very slowly increase my NDT dose. I finally feel almost like I did those individual days - but it's sticking!! I am gradually de-cluttering my house again, getting the kids schooled most days again, hiking with no problems, never facing deathly exhaustion, much increased mood, socializing some again, able to take stairs without talking myself into it again, etc. Things really are improving.

It's discouraging to think of having to take medicine for the rest of my life, but ... well, if this is the worst it is, I escaped the modern health crisis pretty unscathed.

Cravings - They got worse and worse, and finally I started the cold again. Dunno if it's helped. I started eating seafood every morning, and realized that seafood protein does NOT count as part of my needed 65g of protein. I have to still eat at least 50g of land meat to get the benefit of cravings stifling. I'm able to skip lunch, but I ALWAYS have to have meat around, already cooked, ready to be scarfed down around 4 or 5 if I need it. I usually can't cook without eating first, or cravings will get me and I'll start making bad decisions. As long as I always have at least 50g land protein and a full serving of sea protein and a big tablespoon or two of CO or animal fat (depending on the season), and make sure to have plenty of cooked meat on hand if I start having cravings in the late afternoon, and offer any little cravings that come along as a sacrifice for someone important to me, I seem able to stay on top of this. But honestly, I was still making bad decisions (eating wads of candy) a week ago, after not having anything processed for almost a full year. This last week I have really tried to stay on top of the things I need to do to keep the cravings away, and it seems to be working so far.

Cold - every month I've done at least weekly cold, my cycle is exactly 28 days long. When I don't do any, it is 25-26 days long, short on the front. Bizarre. Scary. My body does need this to regulate my hormones. I bought a chest freezer for my bedroom and filled it with gallon water bottles so I can have a 52 degree bath every other evening without much effort. DH is really supporting me in this. Yay!

Cramps/Runs - YAY on this front! This started being a problem (bad IBS symptoms) when I started the leptin reset. It really got bad, but when I started taking ox bile with breakast, it all went away. Totally. When I have too much, I get the same symptoms as having none, so I really think that my body was dumping bile (too much, too late) after fatty meals. I still need to figure out why, but at least now it has stopped! My gall bladder is usually fine, although it was tender the last few days.

Bloating - this week, I hvae had *no* carbs. Solstice time. And the bloating several mornings has been almost GONE. ! I haven't seen a stomach this flat in two years. It is still up and downand I don't understand it. But I finally have hope! I just hope it doesn't come back when I start eating greens again next month, and more carbs as spring comes!

Water - Really up and down this week. Got pitting edema on my leg again for the first time in a LONG time. Thyroid increase? Who knows? Every day, it goes up or down two pounds, and I can tell what I'll weigh by whether or not I can see my ribs, pit my legs, etc.

Weight - up 5lbs. Thanks, binges. :P

Dang. I ate meatballs made by somebody else for dinner. I immediately got a spacy head. My ears started hurting. My head is still spinning an hour later. Stupid me, didn't think about the possibility they had wheat in them till after eating them. GAH!

Overall, things are going well. I have a lot of hope, and no doubt my health is far better than it was 5 years ago!