Page 103 of 138 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1371

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 103

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, I am doing the leptin reset, today is the first day. I have been following you for a while and your struggle and I often hit a plateau where I am right now, almost EVERY time I lose weight. It is always around the 200 mark. My body just holds on and holds on for it's dear friggin life. Last time I was at this point was Nov. '11 and that is when I got pregnant shortly thereafter. So I got to see 199 and then the BFP popped up. Now I am finally here again and it is holding on. So, thank you for all your journaling efforts!! I want to commit to the 6-8 weeks and see if something gives, I still have about 40lbs to lose give or take. I know my FSH and LH hormones are out of whack, it wouldn't surprise me if everything is out of whack.

I am so not a breakfast person at all, but I did it this morning. Did you start off right away eating 3 meals a day? I don't eat 3 meals now, so eating 3 might be a stretch.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'm one of those rare sugar cravers who always ate breakfast. It was my favorite meal of the day - now that I look back, it's obvious why! (100% grain&sugar&fruit breakfast, anyone?)

But it was a small breakfast - I tried to keep it at 150 calories! I first went to 21gm protein (3 eggs) because that's what Radiant Recovery (sugar addiction program) recommended and held there for a year or two, so that was my first gradual transition. Then 50g wasn't too hard, and I actually liked it so much I was afraid I'd be really upset when it was time to move down! Same thing moving to 65g (I needed that to kick the binges for good), but my fears turned out to be unfounded.

Anyway, there *are* a lot of people doing the LR who did have a hard time with the breakfast at first. Some needed to just make themselves do it, and it re-arranged their want/need all by itself. Some needed to start with just a little and work up over a few weeks. Everyone needs to work at it every day.

Eventually, I stopped needing 3 meals/day. I naturally started dropping lunch in November 2011, and haven't needed it since. Not trying to IF, just don't need to eat then. Whether you eat lunch or dinner, even from the start, is up to you, but breakfast is absolutely necessary to get the circadian things going that are needed. Distending the vagus nerve to trigger the hypothalamus, triggering gastric acid secretion later in the day, all that good stuff.

Just keep in mind that you're not likely to lose weight at first. Few women do. But if you have trouble with food cravings, constant hunger, sticking to the food that you'd prefer to nourish your body with, poor sleep, low energy, or a few other things, the leptin reset could be what you're missing to get the body to the point it can start to release what it doesn't need.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

SHOOT just realized i deleted Friday (and the great river CT 20mn) food journal.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Yeah, I am definitely struggling with the majority of those things besides weight loss. The good sleep, the cravings and binges are the worst. I could go 21 days on the sugar detox and then boom the minute I let some of it in, I don't stop and then feel like crap and tire and the cycle starts all over again.

I don't have an issue eating the big protein meal, it is just hard to get it in that first half hour...but I did it. I had about 56g, some romaine lettuce with salmon, 4 eggs and an italian sausage link. My kids get up and they want breakfast right off the bat, they are 7, 5 and 9 months so they always come first and then I get myself something once they are all done or several hours later. I just happened to get up before them this morning so I was able to do it.
    ~*Lori*~

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

the cravings and binges are the worst. I could go 21 days on the sugar detox and then boom the minute I let some of it in, I don't stop and then feel like crap and tire and the cycle starts all over again.
    You have come to the right place, then!

Confession - I almost never get my breakfast started by 30m of rising. But I aim for that, and almost always start eating it within 45, and almost never after 60m. I think it's been working well for me, despite the lack of "perfection." I aim for what I can do and leave the resultsin the hands of God. Occasionally I try to re-evaluate and see if I can tweak anything to make it work better for me, and if so, do, and if not, let it go. No anxiety over it. I think what's crucial here is big breakfast soon after eating - and for me, I'm much, much more concerned about the >50g than the <30m part. YMMV.

Great that your kids always want to eat first thing! You may be able to hold them off just a little to feed yourself a little something, though, or feed all of you at the same time, or feed them just a little while you make your food, then all finish together?

Best wishes to you in your goals!

Glad to know there is a little wiggle room. So far day 3 and it is working. I absolutely do not crave any sugar. I can stand in the face of a cake and succeed. I am so full throughout the day and the smell of it isn't a lure. Who would have known that increasing protein and fat first thing would have such a profound effect. I have even begun to sweat in the past day. Everyone is putting on sweatshirts and I am in a t-shirt and capris and am hot. For the past 2 years I have always been cold, it is nice to feel warm again!! I might not share those sentiments in July but for now I will take it.
    ~*Lori*~

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

It's so great to hear that the cravings are dying down for you! I got over-confident when that first happened, and realized that I could actually eat one bite of cake without any further cravings. So by a few weeks later, those "one bites" piled up and off into binge city I went. Don't do like me, lol!

Two days traveling to and from a wedding. Didn't think twice about having the cake. No desire at all.

Friday, I had some tooth pain. Don't know why. Had the runs all day. Don't know why. (Wasn't Mg, HCl, or an increase in CO.)

Saturday, I woke up feeling fairly deflated. then ate some sausage at the wedding later in the day that blew up my gut & gave me bad cramps (no runs, though). Ate that at 3 and didn't need to eat dinner. Wasn't too sleepy despite not catching up on any of my missing sleep from Friday morning or whenever it was.

Sunday morning I was dead tired on waking after 8.5hrs sleep and still am, 12 hours later. I had a stinky day, getting quite bitter about not being able to eat one single thing anywhere except what I make that is super super plain. I needed extra meat with the breakfast I brought (because I went through more than expected Sat moring), and grabbed some sausage from the hotel - I am 90% certain it had wheat in it. GAR.

Went to son's end of season dinner and couldn't eat anything there. Got home starving and ate the only prepared meat we had - sausage, complete with cayenne & sugar. :P Ate till I couldn't see straight. (Okay, so it was like half a pound.) Then ate at least a whole serving of dried pineapple. Slightly spinny head now, and very heavy stomach. Stupid. But I just felt emotionallly CRAPPY.

Going to bed as soon as I can.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-07-2012 at 10:59 AM.

BBT - got the batteries, lost the thermometer, lol
    193 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising w/i an hour
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30 yes
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime hopefully less
    - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 70!
    - darkening the house at sunset soon...
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches) yes
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO yes

Morning
    D (5000IU) - forgot
    B complex - yes
    HCl (600mg/meal) - no
    CO -forgot!! and starved for it
    Dig Enz - Digest Gold & 1tsp Swedish bitters before bkfst & dinner
    Feverfew - yes
    Probiotic (1NT) - yes
    DHEA - holding off ...
    Organs, broth, ferments: broth, liver, thyrogold;

Midday
    15m sun - yes
    Selenium (200mg) - yes
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) - 2gm +
    ACV -
    Green tea - 2C
    Salt and/or potassium - ~1/4tsp "lite salt" + 1tsp+ unrefined sea salt
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
    Glutathione - 1cap milk thistle w/ bkfst & dinner, NAC 1800mg
    Zinc (for NAC) - 50mg
    Mg (400mg) - 800mg
    Liver support - forgot

Foods that make me feel bad (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh) - probably garlic in pernil
    Cold -

B - soup: chicken broth, italian ssg, liver, FORGOT MY CO!!!

D - 2 brats, then a bunch of breakfast sausage (curses, trace cayenne + sugar = bloating), finally pernil when it was ready. ***I'm planning dinner to be ready at 6pm from now on.

Results
    - energy 5/10; mood 5-6/10.
    - bloating - 3.5mo morning, a lot after the sausage, curses
    - skin = upper arms still bumpy; other skin still fabulous
    - Very sleepy all day yesterday. Slept 10:30-6:45 when dd woke me up, and I couldn't get back to sleep. Sleep all day today. About to take a nap now at 2:30. DANG IT, slept for 10 whole minutes before I popped awake, only to lie in sleepy misery for another hour, wide freaking awake. GAR GAR GAR
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-07-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Notes from Kruse's to B or not to B blog ... methylation, tc.

If you are an hypomethylator (seems your are) you will get niacin toxic at much lower doses than other folks. I have one person who became a strawberry with 50 mgs and they had a horrible homocysteine level. In cases like that i consider a change to betaine hcl (also a methyl donor) and load the diet with fermentable carbs and coconut oil to force a microbiome evolutionary change. (LOL) Takes about 6-12 months for 68% of people. This maneuver increases K2 gut bacterial production, decreases fungal types, improves gut lining and mucous and stool caliber and regularity. The main physiologic effect is it increases the formation of butyric acid in distal gut and really helps those with diverticulitis, ibd, crohns, uc, and eosinophilic esophagitis which is now a full blown epidemic in kids and young adults in usa.

How to test whether hypo or hypermethylator ?
    In cancer, autoimmunity and HIV its pretty easy. One can use an HERV test. For someone who does not have those diseases we can use glutathione levels which will be low, with low SAMe levels and high homocysteine levels.

... Many times when one makes the switch to paleo, people will complain of “paleo flu”. Often this “flu” is poor methylation that causes a low energy state. Testing easily can pick this up.

On easy bruising:
    it requires testing of platelets and clotting factors both intrinsic and extrinsic. It has many causes.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-08-2012 at 07:09 PM.

140. Yeehee
    BBT - got the batteries, lost the thermometer, lol
    194 days binge-free!

Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein yes
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising w/i an hour
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch yes, no lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner yes, no lunch
    - finished dinner by 7:30 yes, by 4:45. :P
    - no snacking yes
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime 6+
    - exposure to morning temp & sun yes, 70
    - darkening the house at sunset
    - 100% primal diet yes
    - <50g carb per day, GAPS (no grains, sugar, legumes, lactose, or starches)
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO

Morning
    D (5000IU) - forgot
    B complex - yes
    HCl (600mg/meal) - yes. No issues. so once again I'm deficient.
    CO -3T
    Dig Enz - Digest Gold & 1tsp Swedish bitters before bkfst & dinner
    Feverfew - yes
    Probiotic (1NT) - yes
    DHEA - holding off ... maybe I should try again to get me to sleep?
    Organs, broth, ferments: broth, liver, thyrogold;

Midday
    15m sun - no
    Selenium (200mg) - yes
    Vit C (to BT till I know how much it takes on a normal day, then switch to acerola to find the same thing) - 2gm
    ACV -
    Green tea - 2C
    Salt and/or potassium - ~1/4tsp "lite salt" + 1tsp+ unrefined sea salt
    Seaweed - off till doing well on full GAPS (polysaccharides)
    Glutathione - 1cap milk thistle w/ bkfst & dinner, NAC 1800mg
    Zinc (for NAC) - 50mg
    Mg (400mg) - 800mg
    Liver support - 2C yogi detox tea; out.

Foods that make me feel bad (FODMAPs, nightshades, coconut flesh) -
    Cold -

B - soup: chicken broth, italian ssg, liver, CO

D - 2 brats, then a bunch of breakfast sausage (curses, trace cayenne + sugar = bloating). Could not make it to dinnertime.

Results
    - energy 6/10; mood 4/10. wanted to sit all day, felt physical energy as last few days, but head felt zombified
    - bloating - 3.5mo morning,
    - skin = upper arms still bumpy; other skin still fabulous
    - Very sleepy all day yesterday. Slept 12-7:30 when dd woke me up. 10m nap at 7pm. Feel like killing someone. Must get some sleep somehow.

Mon - measurements were down, some just below lows.
    Tue - wrist back up, *over* 2/16ths
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 05-09-2012 at 07:05 AM.