Page 10 of 137 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (MamaGrok) page 10

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    good job on meeting your first goal! (I almost said "mini-goal", but it's a big accomplishment, not "mini" at all )

Definitely be careful with the raisins and nuts, they have sneaky carbs in them. I did find that a teeny addition of raisins to a serving of macadamia nuts is magically good not many tho - maybe 1 raisin to 5 nuts. yummers!!!!!

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about the bloating... hope you feel better shortly! Thanks for your update and support as always! Keep up the great wok!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I weighed myself just before lunch, with all my clothes & breakfast & water, and was still 170, so some of the bloat is gone for sure. Happy happy.

Right now I'm shoveling thawing raspberries in my mouth. I love frozen raspberries just before they're totally thawed... Hmmm, I used to love ice cream the same way, maybe this is a subconscious making up for the lack of ice cream in my life, lol!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I just found out there's a name for the way I'm doing pullups on the elliptical: Australian pullups. So there you have it; it's a real thing. That means it must be doing something good, lol.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Awesome discovery!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Mamagrok-not really a primal question, but is your little one sleeping through the night. I can't seem to get my almost 4mo old off of his current routine of waking at 1am and 5am. Before he hit 3mo he was eating at 11 then sleeping until 6 .... So much more doable. Any suggestions?
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

You're not going to like my answer, lol! No - none of my children slept "through the night" until they were three. Hmmm, let me explain.

I don't think it's biologically normal to sleep through the night until you're three. It's biologically normal to nurse through the night. And by that, I don't mean like every hour or so (although you might see that once in a blue moon, like during a sickness or growth spurt, and every child has individual variations), but pretty much what you described - two to three nursings during which both mother and baby sleep. The reason is crucial to the baby's and mother's health - natural child spacing.

Frequent suckling is the key to lactational amenorrhea - so frequent that really extended LAM happens for almost no one in our modern world, and is hard even for those trying to achieve it. There are a lot of obstacles in a world full ofmother substitutions (cribs, pacis, bottles, sitters, formula, lovies, early or frequent solids, etc. - all of which serve their purpose, but all of which have the unintended side effect of less nursing), and one of them is that it's really tough for a lot of people to achieve that harmony where the baby wakes during the night just long enough to latch on, and mother may or may not even need to help (depending on age) and may or may not remember it.

I haven't slept through the night (except for the last two or three months of pg, the only times I'm not nursing anyone) for 13 years. !! But I haven't missed a wink of sleep (except for the first six months with my oldest, when I tried and tried to get her to night wean or sleep through the night, even resorting to ferberizing/cry it out, before I gave up b/c I HAD to get to sleep so I could go to work at 6AM, and let her sleep with me).

So that's the medium-short answer, lol - they need to wake b/c they need to nurse b/c they need to keep your nursing hormones high b/c they need to make sure they are spaced 2.5-3.5 years so 1) they get the nursing years they need for physical & emotional health, 2) the next baby gets the benefit of you having had 3 years to fully recover the nutritional stores from which you will make him, and 3) your body gets the benefit of fully recovering those stores. You also get the benefit of no periods = addressing the fundamental cause of breast & ovarian cancer.

I can't say entirely why 3 years is the magic number, but it seems to be a defining boundary between being a baby-like critter and a child. Mine have pretty much all weaned, left my bed, been fully potty trained, and left my arms some time between 2.5 & 3 years. Research shows that 2.5-3.5yr spacing being ideal for overall health for both babies, as well, and studies of "primitive" tribes show that the 2.5-3.5 yr spacing is nearly universal. The body is wise.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-22-2010 at 07:48 PM.

1. Eat lots of animals & plants. (No insects for me, thankyouverymuch!)
    Breakfast - 3 eggs in bacon grease, a little bacon, swig of OJ

Lunch - smoked salmon, cream cheese, greek yogurt w/ honey
    Dinner - boiled crabs (WHACK! This was VERY primal!), ~french fries, Caesar salad (who knows whether it was real or canolized), greek yogurt w/ too much honey

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    no-sat in car for 7 hours

3. Lift heavy things.
    Regularly lifting 17lb infant and occasionally lifting 36lb 3yo during day.

4. Run really fast once in a while.
    Goal: 1x/wk
    CHECK!

5. Get lots of sleep.
    only 5hrs, got another hour across the course of the day. Driving! I mean, DaddyGrok drove while I slept, lol.

6. Play.
    yes, sang fun songs (Irish Rovers & O Brother) in car with kids

7. Get some sunlight every day.
    Goal: 15m peak sun
    no

8. Avoid trauma.
    yes

9. Avoid poisonous things.
    yes

10. Use your mind.
    not so much

1. Eat lots of animals & plants. (No insects for me, thankyouverymuch!)
    Breakfast - didn't eat. Was hungry for about 30m while I couldn't get to it, then pretty much just stopped thinking about it. Wow.

Lunch - deli turkey & roast beef, l-f mayo (ick), cheese, greens w/ mayo/horseradish dressing, greek yogurt, bite of bread (bleh), watermelon, sm. pear, 1/2 banana
    Little overboard on the fruit there. Hard when you're not in your own home.

Snack - little gouda & salame, butter

Dinner - lamb chop, one shrimp, crab ball (I think this started the bloating), sm mashed taters, spinach salad, sm filet mignon, sm piece white fish w/ butter, ~asparagus & one thin carrot (cooked). Cake, small cookie, mini-cheesecake tartlet, strawberries w/ chocolate (really not asmuch as it sounds; these were all quite small or mini sized). Starting to think a lot about finding more fix by this point, but not horribly so.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
    mmm, no.

3. Lift heavy things.
    Regularly lifting 17lb infant and occasionally lifting 36lb 3yo during day.

4. Run really fast once in a while.
    Goal: 1x/wk
    CHECK!

5. Get lots of sleep.
    9hrs. Could use another to finish catching up from yesterday.

6. Play.
    Danced w/ DaddyGrok and Baby Grokette!

7. Get some sunlight every day.
    Goal: 15m peak sun
    tried; too overcast

8. Avoid trauma.
    yes

9. Avoid poisonous things.
    Other than homemade desserts with white sugar and flour, yes.

10. Use your mind.
    Not a bit.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-22-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, MamaGrok. Very interesting stuff!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 150 - size 8/10
    Goal:130 - size 6

My Journal

Page 10 of 137 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast