Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to primal eating and I've got some questions page

adrenalinejunkie is offline Junior Member

New to primal eating and I've got some questions

Hey everyone. I just started the primal diet about a week ago, and it's actually not as hard as I thought to stay away from grains (I do still have a bowl with a half cup of oatmeal in the morning, because I can't start my morning without it and it's less expensive than constantly buying eggs and bacon). Would I experience a positive change cutting out oatmeal even though i've already cut out all other grains? My main goal is fat loss.

I've just read up about how almonds are high in PUFA's, so i'm going to switch to buying cashews or hazlenuts when my almonds run out. I tend to snack on them at night to curb my hunger. Is there anything wrong with snacking on nuts at night? Also, I bought a bag of pumpkin seeds from trader joes. They're much higher in fat than almonds, but what kind of fat do they have? I'm still trying to figure out how much fat I should eat in a day. I've heard not to worry about fats when on the primal diet, but is there a limit one should adhere to? With the pumpkin seeds i'm probably around 50g of fat per day. Without, probably 40 max.

Also, I've been wanting to try intermittent fasting regularly. I've done it in the past once a week with good results. The problem is, my hunger seems to get the better of me. I can't think when i'm really hungry and it just throws my day off. I hear of people not being hungry while they're fasting and that they feel energized. What am I missing? When I tried the fasting, I was hungry all day, and had very little energy. Any tips for getting into IF?

I'm probably eating about 3 cups of vegetables per day. Should I be eating more? Most of my diet consists of protein and fat (almonds).

I know they're a bunch of random questions, but any help is much appreciated.

ib4student is offline Member
    Replace oatmeal with eggs. If you can afford nuts at $5+ a pound then you can afford a dozen eggs at $1 (or $2.50-ish for good ones)

Only nuts worth buying are macadamias. Almonds, seeds, etc. have way too many omega 6's. Get your fat from cleaner sources.
    Try not to snack, especially not on something that's slowly killing you (PUFA's)
    50g of fat is too low if anything. 100g or more is the usual.
    You are hungry because you aren't getting enough fats and proteins. Get some coconut oil and coconut milk. Drink a can of coconut milk and you won't be hungry for awhile.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Amen to that! Eggs are awesome and will keep you full for a long time, much longer than oatmeal. Get good, free-range ones mind. Don't even think about getting cheap corn-fed cage eggs. I eat 3-4 good eggs a day.
    Coconut cream/milk is also great, lots of sat fat and high calorie, makes great smoothies with water, protein powder and frozen berries.
    I eat almonds in moderation, they're delicious, Macadamias are better but expensive. around 12 kernels a day should be the max for any nut. Offset the O6 PUFA's in nuts with an extra fish oil tablet - an essential supplement in my (and most PBers) view.
    You can't eat too many veggies in my opinion. Load up on 'em, and keep them as raw as you can handle (but wash them well). The vitamins and nutrients they provide are essential to good health. Best ones are broccoli, cauliflower, kale, carrots, capsicum peppers and tomatoes, but you can't really go wrong with any.
    In a nutshell, protein and good fats will keep hunger at bay, carbs will make you hungry quicker.
    Experiment and enjoy!

Thanks for the info! I found this article linking processed PUFA's with cancer, but it doesn't say anything about natural PUFA's like in nuts or seeds.

Polyunsaturated Fats Linked to Higher Cancer Risk

The risk is still there with natural PUFA's? Can anyone link me to an article on how natural PUFA's are linked with disease risk? What nuts other than hazlenuts and macadamia's have low/no PUFA? Are pumpkin seeds alright?

I also take a salmon oil supplement from swanson every morning along with a b complex, multivitamin, vitamin c, and liquid mineral complex

I'll definitely try to pick up some coconut milk next time i'm at the market. Being a broke college student, I can't afford to buy cage free eggs and macadamia nuts all the time. I shop at costco for most of my food items, and I get the 4 pack of foster farms lean ground turkey, 5.5 lb bag of frozen veggies (steam to cook them), 12 pack of cans of tuna, the pack of 60 USDA grade AA eggs, and the 6lb bag of frozen fruit. Can anyone recommend some inexpensive quality primal food?

Free range eggs are still usually pretty cheap. They're one thing I would never swap out for cheap ones. There's nothing wrong with nuts, but if fat loss is you're main goal a better and cheaper option over almond and macadamia nuts would be home made beef jerky. There's a good recipe on the site.

How to Make Your Own Jerky | Mark's Daily Apple

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Cook your veggies in butter or coconut oil.
    Lots of roasts are pretty cheap sources of red meat, and a slow cooker will work wonders. Turkey (and chicken even more so) don't have enough fat for me.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post

Also, I've been wanting to try intermittent fasting regularly. I've done it in the past once a week with good results. The problem is, my hunger seems to get the better of me. I can't think when i'm really hungry and it just throws my day off. I hear of people not being hungry while they're fasting and that they feel energized. What am I missing? When I tried the fasting, I was hungry all day, and had very little energy. Any tips for getting into IF?
    It's easy for me as I eat a good amount of animal fat, which kills any cravings I had for sweets and fills me up for hours. For examples, most days I have two slices of pork belly for breakfast on their own, grilled. They keep me going without snacking, or any thought of eating, until well in the afternoon. In that state, it's no hardship to go until dinner in the evening without eating. You may even, as I have, realise at dinnertime that you're still not hungry, and can go until breakfast the next day. The key for me: fat.

Incidentally, cashews aren't recommended as they're actually a legume, not a nut. If you want nuts, macadamias seem to be recommended in primal circles.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Great thanks for the info guys. I've also been thinking, and I can't seem to wrap my head around how saturated fat is actually good for you, when there have been so many studies on how it's linked to heard and arterial disease. Can anyone provide me a link as to how westernized nutrition is wrong in this respect?

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    I've just been doing this a couple of months, so really all I can add is a newbie observation: establish good solid primal eating routines first, and the IFs become easy. Its kind of a cart before the horse issue... don't rush everything trying to get 'results'... this isn't that kind of an endeavor. Trust the research behind the food; trust the food itself; trust your body. You'll be surprised at how much just sort of falls into place from there. I've lost 16 lbs in 2 months but there were several 2 and even 3 week patches where the scale didn't move. And gradually my clothes keep getting looser and looser. good luck! L

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    Great thanks for the info guys. I've also been thinking, and I can't seem to wrap my head around how saturated fat is actually good for you, when there have been so many studies on how it's linked to heard and arterial disease. Can anyone provide me a link as to how westernized nutrition is wrong in this respect?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098...&pf_rd_i=typ01

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast