Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me stay primal! page

monitta is offline Junior Member

Help me stay primal!

Primal Fuel
    Hi there,

I've been a chronic lurker on these boards for over a 6 months now and I'd like to thank everyone for being an inspiration.

I came across this website and was so intrigued that I read "Primal Blueprint". It really made sense to me and I started right away. I did really well for about a month and a half. I lost about 8lbs which usually takes me months to do. I wasn't exercising at the time. Other than the weight loss, I really didn't feel any other changes. No extra energy, nothing. Well, maybe less bloating after meals. Soon after, I went back to non-primal eating and gained a few pounds.

For the past month or so, I've been actively trying to get back on the wagon. I've also started working out. I've even started drinking bulletproof coffee. I've lost 2 or 3 pounds, but that's IT!! I get so jealous reading the results that alot of you are getting that I'm not. It's getting more and more difficult for me to keep this up with minimal results.

Just a bit about me...
    I'm female, 5'4, 142lbs. On an avg. day, this is what I eat

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in butter
    Lunch: baby spinach and ground beef
    Snack: carrots, 1 piece fruit
    Dinner: some sort of meat and vegetables

What else can I do?!

Any comments and/or suggestions would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!

ib4student is offline Member
    Replace spinach with romaine

Get rid of the snack, especially the fruit.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Cut the fruit, possibly cut dairy for a month and replace butter with ghee. I saw a big drop in weight when I cut dairy.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Eat a better and bigger breakfast, for a start, with more protein, preferably from meat. Cook the eggs in coconut oil instead of butter. Drop the bulletproof coffee (actually, just drop the buttered coffee, adding MCT to the coffee is fine).

Lose the insulin-spiking carrot and fruit snack; add more meat and fat to lunch if you really can't make it to dinner without a snack.

And obviously, keep an eye on the carbs. Drink water (but not excessively). Sleep 8+ hours.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Don't get discouraged. Most of the time when you read on here that someone is dropping a lot of weight, it's because they (me included) have way more fat to drop than you do. Don't focus on the numbers. Eat healthy, be healthy and you'll get to your goal.

ib4student is offline Member
    My weight has actually gone up a few pounds, but I can see that I've lost body fat and gained muscle. I was never really fat, though, and I've always eaten "healthy" (going primal for me was basically exercising more and dropping most complex carbs)

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Monitta,
    your diet is absolutely fine, I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe make sure the fruit is berries and not a banana. But I wouldn't lose anything from it, you're not eating that much so you could use the vitamins and other nutrients needed to maintain proper body function (including muscle gain and fat loss). You may just have to accept, like the vast majority of people, that 0.5-1lb of weight loss per week is right for you. People massively overweight will lose it a lot quicker, and there's nothing you can do to change that. I'm guessing that you're hoping to lose around 15-20lbs max, which at 5'4" will give you a smokin' hot body if it's mostly lean muscle. So at your rate you're looking at around 6 months to be in the shape of your life - I think everyone would take that if they could.
    PB works because it's a lifetime commitment that is easy to stick to - you said yourself you gained weight when you stopped eating primally. Give it 6 months of proper commitment (80/20 is fine), stop comparing yourself to others and be the best you can be. The confidence, mental strength, achievement and will to succeed you'll gain from doing this will far outstrip any "if only I could lose another 5lbs" thoughts in your head.
    There's no quick fixes, just the path to better health or the path to an early grave. Your choice.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    There are a couple things you can do to speed up weight loss, actually. One, don't eat four times a day. Eat once or twice a day, larger meals. Two, IF. Have an eating window of 11am or 12pm to 7pm or 8pm. Three, follow primal blueprint fitness. You need more than simply walking or lifting light weights a couple times a week. It requires discipline if you want to get in great shape. Primal Blueprint is not easy mode. It's just efficient if you do it the right way.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Kurt Harris had a good page on how to lose weight.
    Archevore - Archevore Blog - How to Lose*Weight
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Monika is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    Monitta,
    your diet is absolutely fine, I wouldn't change a thing. Maybe make sure the fruit is berries and not a banana. But I wouldn't lose anything from it, you're not eating that much so you could use the vitamins and other nutrients needed to maintain proper body function (including muscle gain and fat loss). You may just have to accept, like the vast majority of people, that 0.5-1lb of weight loss per week is right for you. People massively overweight will lose it a lot quicker, and there's nothing you can do to change that. I'm guessing that you're hoping to lose around 15-20lbs max, which at 5'4" will give you a smokin' hot body if it's mostly lean muscle. So at your rate you're looking at around 6 months to be in the shape of your life - I think everyone would take that if they could.
    PB works because it's a lifetime commitment that is easy to stick to - you said yourself you gained weight when you stopped eating primally. Give it 6 months of proper commitment (80/20 is fine), stop comparing yourself to others and be the best you can be. The confidence, mental strength, achievement and will to succeed you'll gain from doing this will far outstrip any "if only I could lose another 5lbs" thoughts in your head.
    There's no quick fixes, just the path to better health or the path to an early grave. Your choice.
    +1,
    AND I was so happy reading this response....I posted this morning with similar concerns and discouraged, same height, weight is within a couple of pounds and I needed this too... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GIRL...I'm right there with ya, really I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast